GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forums but couldn't find anything specific to the issue I'm having. After less than 3k miles on my MY17 I was driving and heard a scraping sound with the windows down. I pulled over and noticed the panel that covers the bottom of the car was torn, ripped out of its mounts, and dragging rear of the drivers side tire. I'm pretty disappointed because I have been the only driver of this car and don't remember a scrape dramatic enough to have caused something like this, but regardless, it's already falling off.

My question is if anyone has had a similar experience and if so, how did you go about fixing it? I'd like to keep the panel as I'm sure the engineers put it there for a reason. Anyone have an idea of what this would cost at the dealership?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I would think it is covered by the warranty unless they determine it was driver damaged. Even then I'd be surprised if they didn't cover it. I'd take it to the dealer right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
That reminds me of this great scene from Serenity "did the primary buffer panel just fly off my Go'rram ship for no apparent reason?"

https://youtu.be/ZnwEatEZek0

Edit: much better version of the intro...watch the amazing camera work for an apparent 1 shot for the lengthy scenes...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had this problem too although I noticed that they were just sagging and not actually hitting the ground. What I discovered is that most of the plastic nuts that hold these panels in place had not been installed from the factory. I had it corrected at the dealer but it should have not ever happened. That is just poor quality control.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought my 2017 Volt used last weekend from a dealer about 400 miles away (long story). About 3/4 of the way through my trip home I heard a loud noise coming from near the driver's side front tire. It began suddenly and I pulled over on the freeway thinking it was something bad. As I slowed, the noise went away. After I stopped I looked under there and it looks like some clips had given way and a piece of the panel had ripped away. It seems like the sound was the jagged piece catching the wind and buffeting. I tucked it up in a way it wouldn't catch the wind and finished my drive home and have since put a week's worth of commuting to work with no issue but I definitely want it actually fixed.

Hopefully my local dealer will fix it without issue. I guess I'll find out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts