GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gm dealer recommends a undercarriage service twice a year to extend battery range.
Is this a good service or just a cash grab?

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Cash grab similar to greasing muffler bearings and adding blinker fluid. I'd be interested in their explanation of exactly how performing "undercarriage servicing extends battery range"...lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's time to clean your bottom...​
Your EV's bottom that is!​
Undercarriage Service​
ONLY $78.88
Why?
  • Helps extend your EV battery's range
  • Prevent's corrosion and shorting on your EV battery
At least twice a year, accumulated road material needs to be cleaned from the underbody of your EV. We Take care to thoroughly clean any areas where mud and other debris can collect.

www.dueckgm.com
3 LOCATIONS TO SERVE YOU
This email was sent by Dueck Auto Group, located at 400 S.E. Marine Dr, Vancouver, BC v5x 4x2 (Canada). To receive no further emails, please click here or reply to this email with "unlist" in the Subject line.

·
Administrator
20,016 Posts
Cleaning is more about getting road salt, and general dirt off the undercarriage. Potentially that reduces some extra weight, and less weight equals further EV range. Will the increased range be noticeable? Probably not. So having a clean bottom is nice (especially for a mechanic working under the car) but I would not spend money on having the dealer do it. Many car washes have an undercarriage wash option. Or, do it yourself. I use a garden hose with a 3 ft wand with the head set to a wide pattern spray and move it back and forth under the car when I wash my car.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
  • Helps extend your EV battery's range
  • Prevent's corrosion and shorting on your EV battery
Are these guys for real?
Has there ever been a "Shorted EV battery"?
The battery pack is in a sealed system.

Exactly "How much range" do they guarantee?

Pump up your tires an extra 3 psi and I can guarantee an increase in EV range and fuel economy !!

Save you dollars. Go through a carwash with the 'Bottom Blaster' when the salt winter weather is done.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
578 Posts
lol, that's the dealer that was still trying to sell their 2014 ELRs for 25k over the rest of the country after GM had provided a 25k incentive in 2015...

Also, most Volts don't have the underbody panels.

Pure cash grab.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
My understanding is that the faster the vehicle is moving down the road, the greater the influence the car’s aerodynamics has on the fuel consumption efficiency, i.e., the more aerodynamic the car, the better the mileage at the higher speeds where this factor is important. The less time the car spends at high speeds, the less overall impact obtained by tweaking the aerodynamics.

IOW, a clean undercarriage may improve air flow. At freeway speeds, a clean undercarriage may add perhaps a small fraction of a mile to the car’s all-electric range, but what proportion of your driving is done at freeway speeds?

If the car in question is a Gen 1 Volt whose owner replaced the original tall air dam with the shorter version because it kept scraping on those blankety-blank speed bumps, then I speculate the reduction in ev range caused by the use of the shorter air dam is far greater than any increase in range that could be achieved by cleaning the undercarriage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts