GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see some fabric-like material drooping from the bottom of my 2017 Volt, under the area of the HV battery, towards the front of the battery. Is this insulation for the HV battery? I've got an appointment tomorrow. I take the Volt through a car wash with undercarriage rinse every couple of weeks or so, and noticed this after the most recent car wash.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
Did you snag some material laying on the road? Pictures could be helpful.

·
Registered
801 Posts
When I first brought my new Volt home from the dealer, I noticed the techs left out a number of the screws that hold the under panels on. I guess it is one of those final dealer prep items that can be botched.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
570 Posts
This is held in via series of retention clips. I had to have mine fixed after running over a large branch late at night. The service department can handle this for you, it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Not insulation, it's just a fabric composite undertray. Shouldn't be drooping, though it does collect alot of debris so should be emptied. There's a thread with a picture of the stuff that collects. I hosed it out when I change tires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to drop it off, and they looked at it immediately, part of the deflector was torn off. The replacement part is $142.27 plus tax and "environmental fees". The part descriptor is "Deflector 1.263" with an estimated 0.2 to 0.3 hours of labor, with next-day availability. The FP Number is 23363173.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I went to drop it off, and they looked at it immediately, part of the deflector was torn off. The replacement part is $142.27 plus tax and "environmental fees". The part descriptor is "Deflector 1.263" with an estimated 0.2 to 0.3 hours of labor, with next-day availability. The FP Number is 23363173.
Ugh. You can get this part online for $95 and replace it at home with a screw driver. (If you have the ability to get under the car.)

... I'm going to have to pickup a set of these trays from a salvage yard (just in case) before GM charges us $400 a pop for them in 5 years. I expect these aero parts are going to get really rare.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I had something similar happen near my wheel well, so I wonder if it's all too common for Volts to lose undercarriage pieces. Mine rubbed against my tire unnoticed for a period until it blew the tire. I replaced the tire, but GM covered the part that came loose.

If you hit something, that's different.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I had to replace the two pieces between the radiator area and front suspension. Interestingly mine also seemed to be missing a couple of bolts. The missing bolts probably helped make the covers sag a bit over time, so may have contributed to the tears. I ordered and installed them too, so all is well now. If one has a pair of ramps and doesn’t mind crawling under the car, it is an easy “one wrench” DIY job to replace them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently had this deflector tear off just behind the battery and pull the deflector thru the fastener heads. I found it an removed the whole piece before it hooked on something and tore off the back bumper panel. There must have been 50 lbs of mud on top of this deflector, and the car [ a 2017] has only been on the road since August 2018. Is there a better version of this deflector available? I also have deflectors inside the rear wheel wells that eventually leave a gap above the outside of the tire and small stones/gravel can be heard bouncing up off the inside of the fenders. We drove a 2013 Volt for 5 years without either of these two things happening. :(

·
Registered
294 Posts
I see some fabric-like material drooping from the bottom of my 2017 Volt, under the area of the HV battery, towards the front of the battery. Is this insulation for the HV battery? I've got an appointment tomorrow. I take the Volt through a car wash with undercarriage rinse every couple of weeks or so, and noticed this after the most recent car wash.
I am on the fense about doing undercarriage rinse whenever I do the car wash. They are supposed to help and keep things clean down there so that these covers will last longer without falling off. I wonder if undercarriage wash makes those paper-like fabric worse by making them wet? Does the undercarriage wash actually help at all?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a piece that is broken under the engine between the radiator and suspension. Does anybody happen to know what the part number is for that?

·
Registered
568 Posts
The under carriage fiberboard type deflector towards the rear got torn up on mine driving through some higher than normal water.

$100 bucks to fix myself with the part from a GM supplier shipped to my house, my issue is I just don't care that much. I ripped out and cut square any of the rear piece that torn up.

For the price, I just don't see it as worth it. I'm sure having an underbody deflector helps with efficiency *some* but the break even time on that would be years. My 2017 has 68k on it currently, probably moving to a Model 3 sooner rather than later anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts