GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just wanted to share some pics of my new Schneider Electric EVLink EV230WSR outdoor L2 charging station. Full disclosure, I work for =SE=! I took advantage of an employee discount! On a sad note, the 2014 Volt I ordered in December will not be assembled until the week of February 24 so I won't have it until mid March at the earliest. At least I can play with the EVLink :p

IMG_7674.jpg IMG_7677.jpg

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I like SE's indoor 30A EVSE we have in our garage. My son's college also has double cord ES outdoor units.

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
That's a pretty looking unit, Emmsys! Does the white panel go over the green cabinet? What's the window in the green box used for?

·
Registered
264 Posts
So what is the employee discount on one of these?
I have a fiend of a friend that could get me one, but if it ends up about the same as a Clipper Creek, I'd just get the CC.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I have a fiend of a friend that could get me one, but if it ends up about the same as a Clipper Creek, I'd just get the CC.
What kind of fiend? Zombie, Werewolf, Vampire, other?

Not that it matters so long as you get a good deal!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a pretty looking unit, Emmsys! Does the white panel go over the green cabinet? What's the window in the green box used for?
Hi,

After taking the pictures I put everything back I the box :p . The white panel goes over the green box (the 3 vertical holes on the white panel align with the 3 color lights on the green box. Besides that I did not read the installation manual or even removed anything from the box. I will read up on everything during the week.

e

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks and it's great to hear that other's have =SE= EVLinks and enjoy them. I don't want to get in trouble for disclosing the employee discount :( . Either way I will get getting the $1000 cash credit from the Quebec government EV program so buying it in the store was an option I would have taken anyway.

e

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All,

I opened up the green box to look inside and there's not much going on. It is a very clean, straightforward design with large fuses at the top, a conformal-coated pcb and some thick wires going to the charging handle. The window on the green box does nothing on my model, but I think it is where the RFID reader would go if I had the RFID model. It was a few hundred dollars more for the RFID version and I felt it wasn't worth it because it would take a few hundred Volts/Leafs to steal a charge at my house before it pays itself off :p.

E

·
Registered
131 Posts
This could be a good place to discuss this. On another thread a poster said the charger is in the car, not the thing that I thought was a charger. I'm talking about the 120V slow one. I assume the 240V ones are in the car too. If the charger is in the car, why do these things cost $500?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
SLVO: Prices will come down eventually. They're expensive because there is a printed circuit board inside that contains circuits that negotiate with the charger in the car to tell it how much power it can transmit, and also, it switches the power on to the car only after it senses that the car is ready for it. You wouldn't want those connections at the end of the charging plug to be live when you are handling it.

They're also expensive because the electrical wire has a lot of copper.

I am looking at the $99 JuiceBox, but the $99 is only the controller part, without the expensive wiring and plugs. I am thinking about using the wires from the EVSE unit supplied with the car and connecting them with the JuiceBox.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts