GM Volt Forum banner

Volt owners: Is it difficult for you to obtain electricity to charge your vehicle?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder how Volt owners without assigned parking spaces who live in condominiums and apartment complexes are ensuring access to overnight charging. I live in a condominium without assigned parking, except that the HOA has reserved sections of underground parking exclusively for certain business interests and owners of the larger condominiums in the building. During ski season, the HOA has reserved the entire interior parking area for larger condominium owners. In addition, a switch has been placed on the 110-volt electric outlet that I use to charge my Volt. During the past week, someone has thrown that switch and shut-down my charging space. The HOA board has been unresponsive to my requests for a policy on electric vehicles.
During the winter season, according to HOA parking policy, the Volt must be stored at outdoor temperatures and may not be near any electric outlet. At work, I have access to one outdoor electric outlet that requires use of an extension cord and crossing snowdrifts. These are the challenges in infrastructure that will discourage most people from purchasing a plug-in hybrid vehicle. I wonder how other people are responding to similar challenges. I live in Colorado, where owners of condominiums with assigned parking stalls are protected with charging access under state statute. Do other Volt owners have difficulties obtaining access to electricity for charging?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Are you a renter or an owner? Most condo owners have a "deeded" parking space. That's what we have in San Francisco and shortly in Seattle. We do have a few Condo-towers that don't have deeded parking but their charging stations, like Whole Foods, have dedicated spaces that are EV parking only.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you a renter or an owner? Most condo owners have a "deeded" parking space.
Most condominium owners in Colorado have a right to occupy the commons on the basis of unassigned parking. My deed states that parking is unassigned. Furthermore, there is less than one parking space for each residential unit that is also shared with Copper Mountain Ski Resort maintenance vehicles, spaces reserved and assigned by the HOA, and other businesses within the building complex as well as short-term vacation renters.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
My deed states that parking is unassigned. Furthermore, there is less than one parking space for each residential unit
You have issues that have nothing to do with owning a Volt, why would you willing purchase a condo that doesn't have a parking spot when your a car owner?.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
You have a real problem if the association is not responsive and you apparently have fellow residents that are hostile to charging (switching off your power). The only bright side to this is that until you can obtain better access to charging, your CS mode will meet all of your transportation needs, so at least you don't have to worry about that.

It sounds like the switch was recently installed? If so, why? Just for the purpose of cutting off your charging?

Maybe a solution would be to get a space near your condo designated for EV use only and run an extension cord. But with an unfriendly association, that seems unlikely. Must be maddening.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I don't have this issue. I bought a house that supports my vehicles. Including charging infrastructure. If I were forced (somehow. not likely) to move into an apartment without said infrastructure, I'd get a vehicle that uses something other than electricity. Oh wait, I have an ELR. Nevermind.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have issues that have nothing to do with owning a Volt, why would you willing purchase a condo that doesn't have a parking spot when your a car owner?.
Access to electricity has EVERYTHING to do with the ownership of an electric vehicle. If you are a billionaire like Donald Trump, then you have no problem purchasing property with a parking spot and electric outlet. However, several million citizens of Colorado cannot afford to own a home. I work more than 60 hours a week to afford a studio condominium in a county where ski resorts dominate the economy and people live without assigned parking unless they have a million dollars to purchase a house.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leading a revolution is often challenging. I suggested to the HOA several months ago, before purchasing a Volt, that a charging area be designated in a little-used corner of the parking area with compact parking spaces. However, the HOA rejected the idea.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
If you are a billionaire like Donald Trump, then you have no problem purchasing property with a parking spot and electric outlet.
Well if you have to live in the playground of the billionaires that maybe true. You could live in the south, south west, mid west and about 40 other states where for what you paid for your studio condo would be a 5 bedroom house with a 3 car garage with change left over. Not a chance you will beat them, as they probably include lawyers, the same ones that drew up the HOA rules that your condo doesn't get a nice inside spot but theirs do.

No revolution needed around here.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
This doesn't help your situation, but legislation has been enacted for CA that addresses this issue. It still leaves the EV owner in the position of paying for the line installation, etc. on a property that he doesn't own, so it doesn't really help in a practical way in many cases. But it is a start. This kind of thing needs to be taken farther and also spread to all states. It should be like the ADA laws..."if reasonable steps can be taken to allow access, they must be taken..." Your situation is a good example of the need for this. Unfortunately, if your association doesn't value EV adoption, there will be little you can do to improve your situation in the short term.

·
Registered
62 Posts
From what I've seen of HOA's, I'm glad I don't have to deal with one. Might it make your request more acceptable to them if you offered to pay a reasonable amount for the electricity?

Is your HOA board elected? If so, run for a position. Change is most always easier from the inside.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If the HOA leadership is unmoved by the request of one tenant (and one of the smaller rents in the HOA if I read your description correctly) then go the other direction and get your neighbors to help put pressure on the issue. Just talk up up PHEVs like the Prius plugin, your car, Fords, etc. Offer to let people drive yours to experience all electric. I heard Subaru is working on a plugin Crosstrek. They aren't but you can now say you heard that. ;)

Anyone have solar panels in your HOA? Link the two, solar power = freedom right?
The HOA is taking away your freedom to charge.

Push for a vote AFTER you laid the foundation. ie: Have a supporting group of neighbors. Map out where the electrical access is closest to parking spots so there are choices (A vs B). Engender comparison: This location or that location, NOT charging access vs no access which the HOA will push to frame the Q...

Isn't Colorado home of the Crunchies? :) Fair disclosure: My sibling lives near Boulder and drives a Volt but lives in a house so L2 wasn't a big lift.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This doesn't help your situation, but legislation has been enacted for CA that addresses this issue. It still leaves the EV owner in the position of paying for the line installation, etc. on a property that he doesn't own, so it doesn't really help in a practical way in many cases. But it is a start. This kind of thing needs to be taken farther and also spread to all states. It should be like the ADA laws..."if reasonable steps can be taken to allow access, they must be taken..." Your situation is a good example of the need for this. Unfortunately, if your association doesn't value EV adoption, there will be little you can do to improve your situation in the short term.
Our business contacted eVGO to install their virtually free charging stations, and that was all we needed to do, install our own writing.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I would put a loud alarm on that switch and find out who is doing the power off.

I give my condo extra parking money to charge and have a Kill-a-watt meter showing I pay more than I use.

MOST HOA like free money.

---------------
Get support and call for a vote at next mtg works well as suggested.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Most condominium owners in Colorado have a right to occupy the commons on the basis of unassigned parking. My deed states that parking is unassigned. Furthermore, there is less than one parking space for each residential unit that is also shared with Copper Mountain Ski Resort maintenance vehicles, spaces reserved and assigned by the HOA, and other businesses within the building complex as well as short-term vacation renters.
I'd say you bought the wrong condo.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I can there are lots of folks hereabouts who don't live with HOAs. Lucky you. They are, almost without exception THE most conservative organizations in the world. They do not want ANYTHING to change. Here in California the Governor had to institute mega fines to stop HOAs from their usual grass watering routines during the drought and several are fighting the fines they have been issued every which way they can imagine even against their legal counsel or homeowners wishes. Even the state laws which state that they must make reasonable accomodations for things, like EVs, and solar panels, they fight tooth and nail against. To make it worse the homeowners can only replace the directors, the HOAs themselves are basically immune from lawsuits either individually or collectively by owners. In developments where the many of owners are absentee they only care about their property value and will go along with whatever the HOA directors recommend.

Whew.

Having said all that, I agree you bought the wrong property. Just because you could buy basically ghetto property in the land of plenty doesn't mean it was a good or smart thing to do. The plenty will take every advantage of you they can get away with, to their benefit, they can.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I wonder how Volt owners without assigned parking spaces who live in condominiums and apartment complexes are ensuring access to overnight charging. I live in a condominium without assigned parking, except that the HOA has reserved sections of underground parking exclusively for certain business interests and owners of the larger condominiums in the building. During ski season, the HOA has reserved the entire interior parking area for larger condominium owners. In addition, a switch has been placed on the 110-volt electric outlet that I use to charge my Volt. During the past week, someone has thrown that switch and shut-down my charging space. The HOA board has been unresponsive to my requests for a policy on electric vehicles.
During the winter season, according to HOA parking policy, the Volt must be stored at outdoor temperatures and may not be near any electric outlet. At work, I have access to one outdoor electric outlet that requires use of an extension cord and crossing snowdrifts. These are the challenges in infrastructure that will discourage most people from purchasing a plug-in hybrid vehicle. I wonder how other people are responding to similar challenges. I live in Colorado, where owners of condominiums with assigned parking stalls are protected with charging access under state statute. Do other Volt owners have difficulties obtaining access to electricity for charging?
You knew about all these restrictions and still bought there???...:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts