GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anybody else has had an unanticipated activation of the automatic braking? I've had my 2017 Volt for 6 weeks and two days ago I was at a stop light with a car in front of me. As the light turned green the car in front accelerated as normal. I saw no brake lights. I did not sense a slowing down. I pressed the accelerator and within a second the dash board warning light activated and the brakes applied. Has anybody else experienced this? Luckily I couldn't have been going more than 2-3 mph and also fortunately the car behind did not hit me. I'm a bit nervous that if this happens again it will lead to a fender bender. I called GM support, but I was essentially blown off by the customer service rep.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Two thoughts:

1 could have been a funny light bounce/reflection. Happened to me once on the first day I had the car; hasn't happened since (11 months)

2 I believe what's being measured is the distance between you and the car in front, and if it's closing too fast then the system kicks in. Perhaps you were accelerating into your lead car too quickly, or he let off the gas without braking.

I turned the sensitivity down to the middle setting, as I was getting too many false positives on the FCA

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Two thoughts:

1 could have been a funny light bounce/reflection. Happened to me once on the first day I had the car; hasn't happened since (11 months)

2 I believe what's being measured is the distance between you and the car in front, and if it's closing too fast then the system kicks in. Perhaps you were accelerating into your lead car too quickly, or he let off the gas without braking.

I turned the sensitivity down to the middle setting, as I was getting too many false positives on the FCA
Agreed, with the observations and you can change the sensitivity. My 2013 has done this before in strange places, going around a curve with vehicles in the other lane, trash can on the side of the road, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts