GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My volt is refusing to take a charge. 2nd time this has happened. Both after it was left charging outside while raining. 1st time it seemed to figure itself out after 24 hours. This time it initially would take a 120 charge, but then refused that as well as a 240 charge.

Anyone know how to reset this?

·
Registered
172 Posts
My 2012 Volt is always plugged into the 120 volt charger when I'm parked at my cabin, rain or shine. Rain has never caused a problem.

The power plug on my porch is on a separate circuit and well protected from moisture.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wouldm't it be great if there is an after mkt accesory [some kibd of plastic cover] which will cover the Volt inlet ,,just as precaution and keep the inlet dry. Sounds like a cheap plastic cover will do.

·
Administrator
20,643 Posts
The Volt was engineered to be able to charge in rain and snow. I charged mine outside in the rain without issue. I'd be looking for other causes first.

I don't know what "refusing" to take a charge means. Describing the charge station lights, the car's dash light, and any sounds would be more helpful. Also what/where is the charge cord plugged into? Is the enclosure weather proof? Is it it plugged into a GFI/GFCI outlet? What other things (sump pump?) might be on the same circuit?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After plugging in the 240 or 120 the orange light goes on, a couple of clicks, beep and then green light. Then within about a minute green light goes off. Once it went to orange and then off. Center of display states, "Unable to Charge". Bottom left corner of display states, "Charging override/interrupt occurred". Don't always get the green light when plugging in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 120V charger stopped working yesterday. It has all lights off and every time I plug it in it shorts my electrical breakers. Possibly some of the internal relays must have shorted out, I read on other forums that there are some faulty chargers out there with 2012 and 2011 units.

Will talk to the dealer tomorrow and have it replaced.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
My Volt is plugged in outside work everyday to our L2 charger. I have never had a problem with the rain. My L1 charger stays in my garage at home.

·
Administrator
20,643 Posts
After plugging in the 240 or 120 the orange light goes on, a couple of clicks, beep and then green light. Then within about a minute green light goes off. Once it went to orange and then off. Center of display states, "Unable to Charge". Bottom left corner of display states, "Charging override/interrupt occurred". Don't always get the green light when plugging in.
Just to be clear, are saying 1) you have two charge stations, one the 120v portable that came with the car, the other a 240v unit you had installed, and 2) both exhibit the same "unable to charge" behavior, but 3) only when its raining?

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
You might as well post the Volt year -2011-2012-2013

check line voltage and try the 120 charger cord at a second location ie some other persons house not just a different line on a different wall socket. When the wrong lights are on a charger cord there generally is a line power problem.
-------
A charge cord does had two plugs so if plugging in pops the breaker that could be bad or as expected.
If you plugged in the car - set to a lower amps (8 amps) if you plugged in the 120 volt end -you have a bad charger cord.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the exact same problem on my 2012 Volt.

What happened was that the rain got inside the J1772 socket on the car and the entire assembly needed to be replaced, as well as one of the hybrid drive modules.
This was the old style socket with a rubber sleeve that kind of drapes over the socket.
I got a newer socket with a rubber gasket around the socket, which seems like a far better seal.

I suggest you take it to a dealer and have it replaced. It's under warranty. Ask for a loaner car as well. This took 2 days for them to resolve/get parts in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are you using an extension cord? If so, try using one that is 10 or 12-gauge, it works better. I had the same issues for charging when I used one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, I took it to the dealer (who were great) and they replaced the charging socket. GM believed there was some corrosion buildup on the inside. Everything fine now. This is obviously an area where the tech will get better over time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought 2013 Volt 3 weeks ago and have the same problem. Raining out got charging interrupt from 240v charging station, then later tried 120v that came with car same problem. Got to be problem with the Volt being 240v and 120v are on different circuts and different chargers. I have no garage car is exposed to the elements. No problem until been raining for two days.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Seems like a lot of "Junior Members" are claiming charging problems in the rain here... Smells fishy to me in here.

I charge my 2012 Volt outdoors in the rain without any problems whatsoever. Most people who report charging faults discover it's caused by a faulty circuit in the home's outlet... NOT the J1772 connector or the car. In fact... We don't hear about J1772 issues on this forum very often. 9 times out of 10... charging problems are caused by plugging into a 120 volt outlet thats shared with other appliances or have corrosion & weak spring contacts in the wall outlet.

If you follow GM's recommendations of NOT using an extension cord... and NOT using an outlet that shared with other appliances... and DO have the outlet inspected by a qualified electrician... You do NOT have charging issues charging a Volt..

·
Registered
906 Posts
Just bought 2013 Volt 3 weeks ago and have the same problem. Raining out got charging interrupt from 240v charging station, then later tried 120v that came with car same problem. Got to be problem with the Volt being 240v and 120v are on different circuts and different chargers. I have no garage car is exposed to the elements. No problem until been raining for two days.
I had this problem.. I got a service engine light in fact after charging in the rain... It happened twice.. I took it in the dealer and they found the charge port on the car had a crack... they also said this part is being redesigned by GM .. it seems the 2013's got a slightly different one than the 12's.. I noticed my Voltec charger included with the car fit into the old port VERY tight... my guess is it cracked the port.. allowed water where it shouldnt be.

after they replaced the charger port.. no issues.. and ive charged in the rain twice since then..

-Christopher

3,606 Posts
Ltk,

I apologize you are experiencing this concern. If you could PM me with the last 8 of your VIN and the best way for you to be contacted. I would like to look into this for you.

Thank you,

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same thing happened to my '12 after I started charging it work. Dealer said there was a service bulletin or something on it and replaced either the charging socket or something in the wiring harness attached to it. No problems since then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts