GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to push my luck and try to go from Northern Virginia to the NDEW event in Kennett Square, PA. This is a distance of around 150 miles. So, can I do it in my Volt without using that range extender thingy I am told the Volt has?

Well, of course I could. Here is the net result.

By the time I arrived, I had driven for 4:14 and charged for 9:46. Worked out to exactly 14 hours.

Here is my progress:

First stop after driving 35.9 miles was FedEx field, home of the Washington ***Skins. I won't be able to stop here on my way back due to the fact it will be used for a football game. Don't they know I need to charge??? Seriously!!!

After charging for 2:16 my next stop was the Hotel at Arundel Preserve in Hanover, MD 21.6 mi away. This one charged $2 / session.

I charged up for 1:55. Then I headed for the Walgreens in Edgewood, MD 38.9 mi away. This one cost me $6 to charge. Most I've ever spent in one session. All in the goal of feeding my obsession.

I charged up there for 2:47 then headed to the ultimate place to charge a car, the Delaware Welcome Center 28.9 mi away. Fun for kids of all ages. They have 2 L2 charges by the Truck parking area. This had the thickest cable I have ever seen for L2 and the sign stated 18 kW.

Now the real challenge will be getting back 100% EV!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Better you than me brother. I'm kinda attached to that range extender thinge. But congrats on managing it!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
2/3 of the travel time spent on charging. I can see the appeal of the range extender and/or bigger battery.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2/3 of the travel time spent on charging. I can see the appeal of the range extender and/or bigger battery.
And 6.6 kWh charging.

·
Registered
13,563 Posts
the Washington ***Skins? Is there a reason you couldn't' spell out the name?
As a fighting Illini, there are groups of people being politically correct trying to force mascot changes where they believe the names are demeaning to native Americans. In illinois, for the longest time they were able to save the chief, but the pressure built up to the point that they no longer use the logo with the chief, but still kept the fighting Illini name. That's my guess why Ari C blocked out the football team's name.

Ari, congrats on your accomplishment, but in the name of all that is good and true, just use that range extender thingy and not blow all this time sitting around waiting for the car to charge. There's much more to life than holding on to your EV records. Your wife and kids will love you more for it. The volt is not a leaf... this self inflicted range anxiety can't be healthy.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I see your ability to park between the lines improved as the trip progressed!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
The volt is not a leaf... this self inflicted range anxiety can't be healthy.
Actually, a little range anxiety is good for you. It helps you to plan better, learn how to tell time, gain patience, find all the coffee and fast food places near the chargers, and to prepare for spending quality time in an EV. For some EV drivers, the challenge is what helps overcome range anxiety on long trips (greater than the range expected for the fully charged battery).

·
Registered
13,563 Posts
Actually, a little range anxiety is good for you. It helps you to plan better, learn how to tell time, gain patience, find all the coffee and fast food places near the chargers, and to prepare for spending quality time in an EV. For some EV drivers, the challenge is what helps overcome range anxiety on long trips (greater than the range expected for the fully charged battery).
The problem my area is that there are only 5 public chargers plus a handful at the university. Only two are anywhere near shopping or dining, but not close enough to actually be convenient. I certainly wouldn't park in the winter and walk to where I need to go. Meanwhile 45 minutes away in Bloomington/Normal, they've got about 3 dozen EVSEs including a tesla supercharger. I wish we had that kind of coverage in Champaign-Urbana. Just put a few at Target, Meijer, Kohls, and the Mall and I'd be set. Plus, put one at my office and I'll be doubly set.

·
2,356 Posts
Nice work, Ari. I've planned out trips like this but never taken the time to actually do it.

I am guilty of hanging around L2 chargers to pick up a few km to get home, lest I break a "miles driven without gas" streak. Fortunately the Canadian Tire has one so it's time well spent.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Ari

How was your 2:47 shopping experience at Walgreens?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Ari

What I have noticed when hanging out at L2 chargers is the EV driver snoozing and relaxing. This is one way of relieving range anxiety. My experience is I can only stand to spend a short time in Walgreens. When I do a quick charge at a shopping center, I have about enough time to find some coffee and go to the bathroom.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
That's a lot of effort to avoid gas.. And just think, in a pure electric like the Leaf you could have made that journey in half the time, mostly due to the 6.6Kw charging, or even less if there were some Chademo stations along the way.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
That's a lot of effort to avoid gas.. And just think, in a pure electric like the Leaf you could have made that journey in half the time, mostly due to the 6.6Kw charging, or even less if there were some Chademo stations along the way.
My 2011 LEAF only has a 3.3 kW charger so public charging so I only use if needed. A major problem, in my experience, is that the DCFCs (and L2s) are often tied up, frequently by EV drivers who have the free No-Charge-To-Charge cards and are doing opportunity charges. I have observed some drivers who are "topping off" their battery because it is free for them. Maybe I'm a bit jealous, but some drivers spend a lot of time getting the free charge instead of spending time at home to charge where it costs a few pennies.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I was thinking about you, linkim, as I was reading Ari's post. I think that the only way I would have plugged in during my road trip would have been at night at a motel. I couldn't have spent so much time during the day waiting for the battery to charge. As it was, I saw no obvious charging locations at the motels I stayed at (Motel 6's). I was satisfied using the range extender thingie the whole trip and getting 41.5 mpg for the 23 day trip.

Ari, keep it up. You can't lose the crown at this late date. You have put too much blood, sweat and tears into the effort. 8^)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I was thinking about you, linkim, as I was reading Ari's post. I think that the only way I would have plugged in during my road trip would have been at night at a motel. I couldn't have spent so much time during the day waiting for the battery to charge. As it was, I saw no obvious charging locations at the motels I stayed at (Motel 6's). I was satisfied using the range extender thingie the whole trip and getting 41.5 mpg for the 23 day trip.

Ari, keep it up. You can't lose the crown at this late date. You have put too much blood, sweat and tears into the effort. 8^)
That is the beauty of the Volt. If you don't want to bother with looking for charging, you can drive on gas. With the LEAF, of course, charging is the only option for extended driving. On the other other, if you want to take up the challenge, as Ari has, you can do so. Furthermore, there is a Plan B with gas.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ari

There is a Dunkin Donuts next door. I bought a Cold Mocha Coffee Drink, plugged in my laptop turned on my hacked hotspot on my BlackBerry Z30 and worked for 2 hours.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts