GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A brief article on texting, hands-free phone use, and other forms of distracted driving.
http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-community/healthy-community/health-care-policy/article/don’t-text-while-driving?
The author, a physician, describes his reaction to "A Deadly Wandering" by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Matt Richtel. The thrust of the article is summarized in this excerpt, "I’m not a big texter myself and so have never texted while driving. But I do often talk on my speakerphone—and I think I’m fairly typical. After reading this book, I won’t anymore. That’s because it’s not just texting while driving that is dangerous. All forms of cellphone use are distracting. Talking on a cellphone—even a hands-free one—is different from talking to a passenger because the person on the other end of the line cannot provide feedback (about road hazards, for instance) or monitor the conversation according to circumstances, as can someone seated next to you. The technology takes your mind off the task at hand."

"A Deadly Wandering" can be found here https://smile.amazon.com/Deadly-Wandering-Investigation-Astonishing-Attention/dp/006228407X

KNS

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The article is right on. I may be a bad example, but I find that after talking on the speakerphone I cannot remember a single detail about the route I have just driven over. Fortunately my autopilot brain still recognizes traffic signals and stop signs.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The article is right on. I may be a bad example, but I find that after talking on the speakerphone I cannot remember a single detail about the route I have just driven over. Fortunately my autopilot brain still recognizes traffic signals and stop signs.
So does that mean you won't do it any more? Or that you believe your "autopilot brain" will keep you out of trouble the next time you do? Hopefully, the former. :)

KNS

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I believe this to be true. In fact, I think they are giving too much credit for the conversations with passengers. Not all passengers are providing feedback or modulating their conversation based on traffic conditions. This is especially true of children passengers, but I have had plenty of adults in my car who I have had to ask to hold their conversation so I can hear the GPS or handle some traffic situation. Phones are an obvious source of distraction, but there are other important ones to be aware of as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts