GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

URGENT HELP PLEASE!

My Volt has been great! But last night when leaving work I've got a couple issues that didn't go away this morning ;(

1) Vehicle message 'Tyre Locations Not Known'. This has also triggered 'Service Tyre Monitoring System'. The system is working and reading pressures. Can't see anything in the owners manual or online?!

2) Not sure if this is related but the light for the gear shifter (P, R, D, L) isn't working? Usually it's a orange light for which gear your in.

I've attached a photos.

Thanks in advance, hope some brilliant Volt expert can help!

Sham

Attachments

·
8,680 Posts
The Volt shows you tire pressure on a wheel by wheel basis in the driver's information screen. It does this because someone teaches it that sensor X corresponds to the left front wheel, and sensor Y is the right rear.

There's a learning procedure that has to be performed to make that happen every time the wheels are changed or rotated. It isn't hard, but it does require a special tool that you hold to each wheel in turn.

If you didn't buy winter wheels with a second set of TPMS sensors, it is probably easiest to have your dealer or local shop do the learning procedure.

(To enter the learning procedure you hold select while the tire pressures screen is live, and choose yes. Then you go around the car clockwise waiting for a beep at each wheel while holding the learn tool against that wheel near the sensor. The Volt turns on the lights at the active corner to help you keep track.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Walter,

Thanks for your quick reply.

My Volt is only just over 2 months old from factory! I had a feeling this was the case, but why would it forget suddenly?

I've been looking for this tool but not sure what to look for? Is there a specific specification I need?

I've told my dealer but not holding my breath lol.

Thanks again.

Sham

·
8,680 Posts
The TPMS was working normally before? Did you have something happen that required the car be reset, or have the 12V battery go dead? I don't have a good reason why the system would suddenly forget...

I'm not sure if the frequencies are different in Europe. I bought an ATEQ VT15 from tire rack when I bought my winter wheels, and it has worked well on my Volt here in the US:

http://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-VT15-Reset-Trigger-Activation/dp/B0099RGK5E

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The TPMS is still working normally and always has, the screen showing pressures normally.
No dead battery? Complete mystery and annoying :( I love my Volt and want it fixed!
Wish the Volt has a auto-relearn on the tires like other cars?! Where you driver for a few mins for it to relearn.

Thanks for the link, I have no idea how I can find out if it's the same frequency? Like always the dealers here are useless ;(
Would it be written anywhere? Is the frequency all I need to worry about with this tool?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Goto to tire monitor showing pressures.hold the select down until it asks you if you want to reprogram. Highlight yes and hit the select button again. Let the air out of the left front Corner light will be on-until the car honks. Do the same for passenger front ,then rear then drivers rear. Then air up all your tires.this will reset the tire locations. Corner light will be on for each tire location as you set it...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Thanks for that! I've heard that before but I've had bad experiences with tire values so rather us a simple tool without touching the tire. Thanks anyways :)

But when entering the reprogram mode, I guess this only works in park? Cause I tried to hold the button while driving but nothing lol.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Goto to tire monitor showing pressures.hold the select down until it asks you if you want to reprogram. Highlight yes and hit the select button again. Let the air out of the left front Corner light will be on-until the car honks. Do the same for passenger front ,then rear then drivers rear. Then air up all your tires.this will reset the tire locations. Corner light will be on for each tire location as you set it...
I'm told that system isn't used on our '13 Volt's. You must have a program tool for m.y. '13

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hard to let the air out with the car driving...;) only way to find out is try it and if the option comes up it should work.
Who is the stupid moron that would have changed it?!

·
8,680 Posts
I'm told that system isn't used on our '13 Volt's. You must have a program tool for m.y. '13
People told me about it on my 2012, and I could never get it to work. The relearn tool has always worked well as long as it had a fresh battery.

·
Registered
627 Posts
) only way to find out is try it and if the option comes up it should work.
Who is the stupid moron that would have changed it?!
That procedure definitely does not work on a 2013. I tried several times before I finally ordered the tool. I agree it seems dumb to remove it, I guess it's another potential money maker for the dealer. Tire rotate & program fees

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
I could simply be a failed/malfunctioning tyre sensor. Whether it needs to be reset with the relearn tool, or replaced can be determined by your dealer.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Sham,
The TPMS used in the Ampera in Europe is a bit different from the North American version.
It comes from a different supplier, operates on slightly different frequencies (due to EU regulations), carries an RPO of UJN, and is an "auto-learning" type (does not require a special learning tool). Driving at 40km/hr (25mph) or greater will permit the TPMS module to receive the radio frequency data from each tire sensor and forward it to the BCM via the network bus, auto-learning as necessary, then go into active pressure monitoring.

The sensors transmit whether they are located on the left side or the right side on the car based on rotation direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise). The tire pressure indicator module can then detect whether a sensor in located on the front axle or the rear axle, depending on the sensor signal strength. (the receiver is closer to the rear axle) This combination of data allows the system to assign IDs to the corner locations on the vehicle. The tire pressure indicator module transmits these assignments to the BCM over the LIN bus. If a new sensor has been installed or tire rotated, then the system will automatically detect and assign it to the proper corner. For this to happen, the vehicle will need to be driven at speed greater than 40 km/h for about 9 min.

Back to your condition.
Your exact symptoms are indicative of an issue with the Body Control Module and Tire Pressure Monitor Module communication over the LIN bus. The transmission gear shift position indicator shares the same LIN channel (LIN2) with the TPMS so this appears to be consistent. You will need to see your dealer so they may diagnose your LIN Bus issue. (there will likely be a DTC U1522 stored in the BCM with supporting documentation in Service Information to assist.) It will likely either be a wiring repair or possibly replacement of one of the 3 components in the circuit (BCM, TPMS, shift indicator assembly)

HTH
WopOnTour

PS> GM was forced to get away from the "bleed air out" method of relearning a few years back due to DOT/NHTSA recommendations

·
Registered
86 Posts
Fuse or a module that hasn't initialized/booted up properly. But without a diagnostic tool it gets harder to diagnose.
Wopontour's assessment makes a lot of sense..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts