GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a ton of these types of threads, but they're worth it if they help one potential buyer.

Two years ago I got my 2014 and it has been relatively flawless for 36,000 miles at over 97%EV.

The only things I've done have been two tire plugs for flats on the OEM tires, and then a tire replacement and oil change very recently. What car can you say that about? Not the other ones in my sig, for sure.

The first year cost me 9 gallons of gas while trying to conserve HVAC and maximize range, with 5 of those used bringing it home from the dealership. During the second year, conservation went out the window and I used a whole 31 gallons, mostly for winter heat and range extension. Terrible :). That took me 3 refills for the winter!

This really is an incredible car. Since I have workplace charging and a longish commute, my fuel costs dropped from $150/month with a Prius to $40/month for electric and a splash of gas. If I had to drive my truck, that number is closer to $450/month! There remains huge savings potential for anyone with a 30ish mile one-way commute.

This Gen 1 really has been reliable for me so far. Each of the others in my workplace have had an average of one minor issue during a similar time period, but nothing out of pocket for any of them.

I'm really pleased and hope that the folks with the Gen 2 Volts experience this kind of reliability.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
My life owning two Volt's since March 2012 having driven over 46K miles as our DD in ALL weather and am averaging just at 93% off the grid. Aside from a few recalls, software updates I've only had a few actual defects needing dealer visits.

Both have been very realizable, efficient and fun to drive. After 4.5 years I still dislike the tiny and goofy touch buttons on the center stack. The Gen II Volt fixed that - finally.

Based on my time with our Gen I Volt's I'm guessing had I owned a Gen II Volt it would have increased my miles driven to 97% maybe 98% all electric.

Does prove that for the average American driver there really is no need for HUGH battery. I think many of us fall into the "more is better" trap. I know I have.

This is the real story GM has failed to capitalize on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts