GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will have driven my 2012 Volt two weeks as of Friday.

Observations:
1) I'm a fan of L driving. I am obsessive compulsive about braking, and L driving suits me just fine!
2) I'm getting 38 ish miles per charge. I won't be able to charge faster until I have an outlet installed, but am doing ok plugging in overnight.
3) I asked my first hotel (West Jefferson, NC ) if I could plug in my car: I was told, "Yes, no problem, we have several outside outlets." Keeping my fingers crossed this is true...
4) Round trip driving to and from work = gas free as my round trip commute is only 33 miles.

Everybody likes a new car (this one is new to me lol), but I'm loving life in my ride right now.

Now the questions:
1) When applying the brake, I feel what can best be described as a "pulse", and I can hear it when I release the brake in just the right way after a stop. Is this anything to worry about?
2) and the occasional pop that sounds like it is coming from the rear of the car. It seems to happen randomly. Again, cause for concern?
3) and finally...the rubber guard at the front of the car looks a little worn...Is it really necessary and if so, cost to replace???

Love the forum, and I've been reading up when I can.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The air dam is held in place by a row of screws. The dealer can do it or a handy owner could as well. The replacement is smaller-- gives more ground clearance, so it should stay nice longer. I guess you could leave it off as well. It is supposed to improve aerodynamic efficiency, but I don't think it would be a big difference.

The pop from the rear may be the spoiler shifting when it heats up in the sunlight. Nothing to worry about.

I have not noticed your brake stuff on my car, but the brakes are complicated and many have remarked that they feel wired. Maybe others can speak to that issue more than I can.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The air dam is held in place by a row of screws. The dealer can do it or a handy owner could as well. The replacement is smaller-- gives more ground clearance, so it should stay nice longer. I guess you could leave it off as well. It is supposed to improve aerodynamic efficiency, but I don't think it would be a big difference.

The pop from the rear may be the spoiler shifting when it heats up in the sunlight. Nothing to worry about.

I have not noticed your brake stuff on my car, but the brakes are complicated and many have remarked that they feel wired. Maybe others can speak to that issue more than I can.
Thanks for the help. I plan to drive my Volt for a long time...

·
Registered
247 Posts
That brake pulse thing - doesn't sound right, might want to look into this further. Mine doesn't do anything like that.

The pop - also, doesn't sound right. But, it might just be something shifting around in back. Check for loose items in the back. Shouldn't be any popping from the spoiler shifting unless some damage has occurred.

The rubber air dam is designed to withstand a ton of abuse, hence can look pretty bad but still be in fine condition. Just keep the tabs connected (if that bothers you) and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
There are a couple of rubber stops that are adjustable for the rear hatch, sometimes maybe a different height may help eliminate the pops. They can be screwed in or out to adjust how tight the hatch closes.

When in Low, there can be a slight change in brake pressure required as the car gets close to stopped.
It can feel a little like a pop. It is because the car stops using the regen braking at about 3-5 mph, and then slightly more pedal pressure may be required to come to a stop. That is normal, although it may be more pronounced on some cars.

The rubber air dam does irritate some drivers, but it adds about 1 or two more miles of range, if you are driving at highway speeds, and it also helps to direct extra air flow up into the radiators, ao it might be best not to remove it altogether.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
1) When applying the brake, I feel what can best be described as a "pulse", and I can hear it when I release the brake in just the right way after a stop. Is this anything to worry about?
There is a TSB for this:

TSB Number: PIC-5734-B
NHTSA Number: 10051943
TSB Date: February 1, 2013
Date Added to File: April 22, 2013
Failing Component: Service Brakes, Hydraulic
Summary: Chevrolet: while at stop or sitting, pulsation is felt with a slight depressing of brake pedal and a drumming/ringing noise is noticeable during low speed ev driving or while in park or heard when vehicle is turned off. Model 2011-2013
Call your dealer service advisor.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Some Volt drivers have reported a popping sound from the rear struts (going over bumps) and from expansion of the rear spoiler (as the hatch heats up or cools off).
Google Search "popping" and "gm-volt" for these issues.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I had the popping sound from my rear spoiler on my 2011. It usually occurred a few minutes after I started driving. Sometimes I heard it when I closed the hatch.

My 2014 does not do this.

GSP

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
in response about the lower air dam, if your handy enough, I'd just look at ordering a replacement from gmpartsdirect. They have it listed at 43.21. I'm planning on doing that on my 2013 as aside from being worn, it's also torn in a few places and looks to me like it's sagging a bit in the front center. I haven't looked at it closely enough to see if it just needs to be reattached to solve the sagging issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I inquired about the brakes at my local dealer. I was told about the TSB and given a price to fix the issue if I wished. I asked if this was something that needed to be done right away, and I was told I could wait. I haven't heard the pop in a day or so, and the air dam still has some life left in it. My plan is to continue to monitor these things, and continue to enjoy my Volt.

Everyone who I talk to about the car have only positive things to say about it, but I'm the only one in my family/circle of acquaintances that has actually pulled the trigger and got one.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I removed the air dam completely, and saw no identifiable change in electric range. I use a full charge (and a little gas) every day on a mostly freeway-speed commute. Glad it's gone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same pop from what sounds like the hatch area on my 2012 Volt. I have played with the rubber adjusters to no effect. Its random when it does it and sometimes I won't here it for months then other times several in a day. I found out it was common so just deal with it

I need to order the shorter front air dam for mine or cut mine. Mine gets pulled out a little everytime I back out of my driveway no matter at what angle so its kind of annoying

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I removed the air dam completely, and saw no identifiable change in electric range. I use a full charge (and a little gas) every day on a mostly freeway-speed commute. Glad it's gone.
When my air dam needs removal, I'll probably see how long I can go without it before it drives me bananas....good to know of someone who is ok without it and has had no real negative effects...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the same pop from what sounds like the hatch area on my 2012 Volt. I have played with the rubber adjusters to no effect. Its random when it does it and sometimes I won't here it for months then other times several in a day. I found out it was common so just deal with it

I need to order the shorter front air dam for mine or cut mine. Mine gets pulled out a little everytime I back out of my driveway no matter at what angle so its kind of annoying
I need to check on the rubber adjusters in mine and see if anything works. I went two days and no pop, but today it happened twice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts