GM Volt Forum banner

Two Versions of the Volt

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Koz 
#1 ·
I think GM should follow Tesla one more time. Tesla decided with their upcoming Whitestar sedan, that they would offer an E-Rev version as well as an all electric version.

It would be great if GM would follow suit, offering two versions of the Volt. For those of us that want to pay extra for the full EV version, GM need only offer a battery pack with more range. They would not need the range extender, lightening the load. The engineering is virtually identical. I'd imagine the battery suppliers would be capable of providing packs of 150-200 miles. Thoughts?

Discussion starter · #4 ·
GM spoke clearly at Voltnation that a BEV option was not in the cards for the first generation of Volts. This and no V2House were 2 decisions that I think are mistakes on their part, but not because they aren't offering a 150-200 miles range. For the least risk and cost they could simply remove the ICE components and offer a BEV only option with the same battery pack. With the reduced weight and allowing for user overrides of the max and min charge points they pack as is could probably provide 55-60 initial range (more for city only) for occasions when it is needed. Another possibility would be to add battery capacity in equal weight to the ICE components removed. This would still add little risk to the design.

Personally, I need the range extender and I think the vast majority of consumers would as well but there are definitely BEV only enthusiasts and certain markets that the BEV only option would work nicely.

I didn't know they addressed the BEV issue at VoltNation. Sonner or later there will be breakthroughs in the technology that may permit longer range at reasonable prices. But the E-Rev option seems to be a happy medium. Still, I'm one of those people that thinks we can do better than the 40-50 miles promised. I'll just have to remember to plug-in daily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.