GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm 60 years old, love cars, and me and my family have owned literally dozens of Chevys since the 1940's. I know cars. I've spent more of my life in a car than out of one. Take my advice or leave it.

1. Like many others, I'm disappointed in the final design. It reminds me of my mother's 2002 Corolla, and about a dozen other cars, none of which you could recognize at a distance. But more than anything else, you made a VERY serious design mistake in reducing the wheel size. That was what made the concept car look so good: the larger wheels. Look at all your high-end cars, like the 'vette, Mercedes, Ferrari, Maserati, etc. ALL of them have larger wheels. Look at the puny wheels on the cheap, tinny cars at the bottom of the market. That's one reason the Prius hasn't been an overwhelming success, as well. Nothing... NOTHING gives a car a more cheap, toy-like appearance than those silly little "lawnmower wheels." GM, THINK!!!

2. Watch the price. Don't go too cheap, but you MUST sell this car at a reasonable price to reach critical mass in the market and solidify your market presence. It is absolutely critical that the Volt is not perceived as just another "overpriced yuppie toy," a cute little supermarket scooter for suburban soccer moms. And that's exactly what it will be, with your current design and price.

I've seen a lot of cars come and go over the years, and in every case, the reason was painfully obvious. Mark my words. Good luck.

Osmigo

·
Registered
27 Posts
But more than anything else, you made a VERY serious design mistake in reducing the wheel size. That was what made the concept car look so good: the larger wheels. Look at all your high-end cars, like the 'vette, Mercedes, Ferrari, Maserati, etc. ALL of them have larger wheels. Look at the puny wheels on the cheap, tinny cars at the bottom of the market. That's one reason the Prius hasn't been an overwhelming success, as well. Nothing... NOTHING gives a car a more cheap, toy-like appearance than those silly little "lawnmower wheels." GM, THINK!!!
Ummm, the production photos released yesterday clearly show P225/45R18 wheels and tires. Those are cheap and too small for you???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ummm, the production photos released yesterday clearly show P225/45R18 wheels and tires. Those are cheap and too small for you???
I just saw those production photos, and yes, it's HUNDRED percent better! Not bad at all! I have to retract my previous "advice" about the small wheels and design. This is a nice looking car.

The concept car looks cool, but we have to accept that it isn't a marketable design. Look at those little side windows, for example. It's not going to happen.

My comments about price remain, though. Of course, they can't (and shouldn't) produce it as a cheap, everyman's tin box, like some kind of latter-day Volkswagen (Voltswagen? - I HAD to say it), but getting it up into that 30,000 - 40,000 dollar range shuts out literally millions of potential buyers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts