GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least, my dealer insists this is the case. 2013 Volt, 51K miles (past the 3/36 bumper to bumper coverage).

1) the Aux heater pump is loud when I first start the car, quiets down after a few minutes of operation. But I know that spells eventual doom, so I brought it in assuming that's part of the drivetrain.

2) when I change from accelerating to decelerating, there is a defined 'click' - a mechanical noise. My suspicion is a loose motor mount or transmission mount bolt, but I figured 'drivetrain' = 'under warranty'. You can reproduce this noise in my car by shifting to reverse, taking your foot off the brake, and 'click' - then stop, shift to drive, and when you take your foot off the brake 'click' - and repeat. you can repeat easily.

Both of these things are relatively new sounds, having developed from 'very subtle' to 'very noticeable'. My dealer insists that neither item is covered under the Voltec extended warranty, and since I'm well past the bumper to bumper I'm responsible for the diagnostic charges. The heater aux pump will be $500 to replace (!!!!). The 'click' would not be covered under warranty so they are willing to spend as much time looking for the source of the noise as I am willing to pay them for. IF it's found to be a Voltec-covered item I wouldn't have to pay any diagnostics of course...

I'm pretty frustrated by these responses. I'm into this for several hours of "diagnostic" (even though I told them exactly how to reproduce both sounds before I dropped the car off). Both of these items are very specific to the Volt and it's drivetrain, which puts them under Voltec coverage in my opinion. I'm curious if others have had similar issues and what resulted. It's been a while since I posted here... I've been too busy enjoying my Volt!

Thanks,
-Derek

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I would read the warranty verbiage carefully, including the emissions warranty, which covers unexpected items. They list what is covered. You can also get a volt advisor involved if you feel like they are not listening to reasonable information.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Hi Derek, Ive read here that the click is a power train issue and is in one of the CV joints, I will look for the posts that describe it, the fix is to replace a washer and retighten the bolt that holds it.

ok here is a thread about clicking. I have a similar clicking, I can make it repeat just by lightly pressing and then gently releasing the accelerator pedal, I can do this on a smooth level road in "D" at 14 mph and in "L" at 4 mph.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?193601-Clicking-sound-from-outside-car-starting-and-stopping-at-low-speed-(2012-Volt)/page2&highlight=clicking

My dealer didn't find it the first time I brought it in, but I plan to bring it back now that I can explain Exactly how to make it happen.
Paul

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
oh yes, I had the cabin heat circulator pump changed at 35,000 miles because I though it was too loud. The new pump sounded the same. Not by coincidence, it is the same pump part number as is used in the battery coolant loop.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Your click is likely brakes or axle nuts, neither of which are voltec items.

Much rarer to be an actual transmission related item.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. The click seems to match right up with the symptoms described in the axle nut thread paulacton posted, so I'll check the torque on those this weekend.

As for the coolant pump, I guess it's time to buy a service manual. I'll try tracking down the Voltec warranty details first but no way I'm spending $500 for a water pump (that a 'normal car' wouldn't have...).

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
My 2011 Volt has needed a couple of things, including the water pump, replaced since the original 3 year warranty expired, and there was no charge. I honestly don't remember under which warranty they were covered, the extended one, or the 8 year 100,000 mile coverage, but it was covered, so I would think yours should be also. Check with a Volt advisor about it.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
When you discover what the actual issues are and how much they cost to repair along with any warranty coverage, please share.

This may provide the info folks need to make an informed decision on purchasing an extended warranty. I have owned 3 Volt's since March 2012 but the two Gen I's (2012 and 2013) were traded before the factory B2B expired.

Good luck with your repairs.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again everyone. The pump will not be covered by warranty (I even called GM to verify). I found the clicking - it was the drivers side axle nut being loose. The dealer also completely missed that my passenger side CV boot is ripped and the entire inside of that wheel covered in grease... so that's a big miss on their part. I won't be going back there for service in the future, that's for sure.

I was quoted $540 to replace the pump. I'll wait until it completely fails.

I'm very frustrated that I had to pay for 2 hours of diagnostic so that they agreed with me about the pump and wanted to charge me more time to look for the clicking. I left very explicit instructions on how to reproduce both sounds, so with nothing being fixed I'm just out $200. I do my own work on all my cars, was only going there because I figured these items would be warranty. I fixed the axle nut issue myself. So unless my engine, transmission or battery have some kind of failure, I won't be visiting that dealer anytime soon.

Next stop Helm's website. Looks like the service manual is $200. It's a shame I just blew $120 for the dealership to agree with me... that's most of the service manual right there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts