GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Volters,

I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada and I have two 2018 Volts bought in April 2018. I have checked my VIN’s here https://my.gm.ca/gm/en/recalls and found one recall for one of my Volts (Recall N182167900). I also read on this forum there may firmware updates to the nav system etc. but my dealer informs me that “GM will not authorize updates unless they address a specific customer concern or they are listed as required in the GM Vehicle Dashboard screen.” So how do I find out what firmware updates to the nav system etc. may be available, so I can tell my dealer they are a specific customer concern and/or how do I see if they are listed in the GM Vehicle Dashboard screen (whatever the hell that is)?

Also, one of my Volts has a problem, so if you have any insights do let me know! It has a somewhat random creaking sound coming from the left front wheel well area, most often noticeable when going over moderately sized bumps at low speeds and/or sometimes from turning the steering wheel when stationary. Also, I have occasionally noticed an abrupt thump coming from the left front wheel well area (sounds like the left front suspension bottoming out) when going over moderately sized bumps at somewhat higher speeds. This defect is not present on my other Volt at all, nor is it present on this one, except for the left front area.

I am taking them both in for their first oil change shortly (free!) so it would be good to get everything done at once.

Much Obliged,

BB

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
672 Posts
Not sure about your specific problems but when you take it in make sure they do TSB 18-NA-174 ( backfire problem). It’s not a “recall” but most Volts had this problem. Issued around June/18.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Andy00778,
As to TSB 18-NA-174 I gather that's to address backfiring and nothing else? If so, neither of my two 2018 Volts have any signs of this AFAICT, so unless there is something I am missing about this TSB, wouldn't it be best to rely on the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
672 Posts
Your cars may already have the latest firmware versions when they were delivered. I suspect that the release date of the TSB lags that of the actual fix date due to the bureaucracy factor. The backfire sounds more like a tailpipe rattle, and many first adopters of the G2 Volts were taking the cars back for service complaint about something loose in the tailpipe/back right side of the car. GM eventually said it was actually a backfire and was “normal operation”. It took about 3 years to get this fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts