GM Volt Forum banner

TSB 19-NA-242 GM Gen 1 Battery Pack Refurbish Kit

4414 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  billdaman
I'm not sure if this has been covered here and/or if it's new, but I was looking at TSB's and saw this from last month.
"A lower cost, high voltage battery pack refurbish kit is now available when the battery
pack assembly needs to be replaced for certain repairs where cell replacement is
needed."
TSB Here

Anyone heard of this sooner than me?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4,174 Posts
Useful to know for the Gen 1 Volt and ELR owners. I saw two things of interest - it's using the final battery chemistry for these cars and pricing may vary depending on availability.

Reactions: sbachman7117

· Administrator
23,461 Posts
Nice find, thanks for posting MrSnuzzy336.

The TSB is dated March 2022, applies to North American 2011-2015 Volts, 201402016 ELR's .

Subject: Information on High Voltage Battery Pack Refurbish Kit

Note: All usage for the pack requires TAC authorization.
A lower cost, high voltage battery pack refurbish kit is now available when the battery pack assembly needs to be replaced for certain repairs where cell replacement is needed.
– This refurbish kit includes a combination of 3 refurbished or new P1.7 lithium sections. This refurbish kit can be used in place of a full (New) P1.4, P1.5, or P1.7 pack or when asection is unavailable.

Note: For 2011-2012 models (without RPO YK8), the HPCM2 will need to be reprogrammed to support the P1.7 pack. TAC will contact Techline to have the calibrations ported over for that VIN.

Note: The Battery Service Center (BSC) will provide 3 best available sections to match the vehicles capacity at time of order. Pricing can vary daily for customer pay situations based on inventory at time of quote.

⇒ The GM Technical Assistance Center (TAC) must be contacted to authorize a refurbish kit. Please review Service Bulletin 19-NA-214 for information required. Once TAC gives the authorization, U.S. dealers should contact the GM Battery Service Center (BSC) at 1-833-334-6272. In Canada, TAC will order the Drive Motor Battery Pack through York Electronics in Oshawa

The big unknown is how much a dealer would charge to replace one, two, or all three Sections depending on the Volt's battery issue. We've seen quotes as high as $23k or so, whether that's based on this TSB or not, unknown.

The Takeaway: An entire battery pack swap is not needed. GM Dealers will be able to replace a single section of the three section battery pack and they will be able to do it without regard to matching the existing battery chemistry . A 2011 Volt could use a 2015 Section.

· Administrator
23,461 Posts
I think the words "cell replacement" in the TSB can be misleading. According to my reading, they are saying if a cell (or cells) goes bad, you can replace the Section that contains the Module where that cell (or cells) is located. No need to replace the entire battery pack.

Nothing in the TSB describes disassembly of Sections into Modules and then disassembly of Modules into individual Cells. Cells are welded together in a Module. It would require destructive disassembly to get at one cell.

Instead, the TSB keeps referring to Sections being replaced. The Volt battery pack has three Sections as you know.

Have one bad cell in Module 1 of Section 3? Swap in a new Section 3.

Here's a fun video showing disassembly of a Section into Modules (again, not what the kit is intended for based on my reading). Aslo shows why individual cells will NOT be replaceable. Note that when the video refers to a "pack" it's technically a module being referred to.

Why is GM not having the dealer replace bad modules? Maybe this video provides one reason. Whoa...

· Registered
137 Posts
The way this reads is that the P1.7 packs (all three sections) can be used on all years of first gen Volts and. ELRs. Nothing more. Unless I'm mistaken in my understanding

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

· Administrator
23,461 Posts
The way this reads is that the P1.7 packs (all three sections) can be used on all years of first gen Volts and. ELRs. Nothing more. Unless I'm mistaken in my understanding
Yes. Mixing modules from different years was not an option before. That's a pretty significant change.

Reactions: hellsop

· Registered
69 Posts
Nice find, thanks for posting MrSnuzzy336.

The TSB is dated March 2022, applies to North American 2011-2015 Volts, 201402016 ELR's .

Subject: Information on High Voltage Battery Pack Refurbish Kit

Note: All usage for the pack requires TAC authorization.
A lower cost, high voltage battery pack refurbish kit is now available when the battery pack assembly needs to be replaced for certain repairs where cell replacement is needed.
– This refurbish kit includes a combination of 3 refurbished or new P1.7 lithium sections. This refurbish kit can be used in place of a full (New) P1.4, P1.5, or P1.7 pack or when asection is unavailable.

Note: For 2011-2012 models (without RPO YK8), the HPCM2 will need to be reprogrammed to support the P1.7 pack. TAC will contact Techline to have the calibrations ported over for that VIN.

Note: The Battery Service Center (BSC) will provide 3 best available sections to match the vehicles capacity at time of order. Pricing can vary daily for customer pay situations based on inventory at time of quote.

⇒ The GM Technical Assistance Center (TAC) must be contacted to authorize a refurbish kit. Please review Service Bulletin 19-NA-214 for information required. Once TAC gives the authorization, U.S. dealers should contact the GM Battery Service Center (BSC) at 1-833-334-6272. In Canada, TAC will order the Drive Motor Battery Pack through York Electronics in Oshawa

The big unknown is how much a dealer would charge to replace one, two, or all three Sections depending on the Volt's battery issue. We've seen quotes as high as $23k or so, whether that's based on this TSB or not, unknown.

The Takeaway: An entire battery pack swap is not needed. GM Dealers will be able to replace a single section of the three section battery pack and they will be able to do it without regard to matching the existing battery chemistry . A 2011 Volt could use a 2015 Section.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts