GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone my 2018 volt started doing this the other day: when I step on the accelerator or let off of it I can hear a distinct click that sounds like a relay or a selenoid engaging. In the video I can create the click everytime I feather the throttle. I saw somewhere that someone said it was "axle nuts" but it doesn't seem to sound like that to me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hmmm. That does sound odd. I have a similar thing, but its not as loud. I'm going to investigate the axle torque level, the axle nut issue, as well as the transmission mount. Only other thing I can think of is something in the suspension.

If you run in sport mode while driving in L, does that increase the sound or does it sound the same?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any mode, normal, sport or even when the battery is depleted and it's running in gas mode. I also did a test yesterday going to work by setting my cruise control on the highway and then cancelled it allowing the car to slow down. I hit the resume button so it would accelerate and it also made the noise that way too. This helped me rule out the noise being in the pedal itself but rather something up near the firewall under the dash/ inside it (doesn't sound external like it's coming from the engine bay).

I drove home this morning from work (full charge) and it never made a peep in the 40 mile trip back home at any speed. Only thing different was the outside temperature is cooler than the times of day it normally happens. Not sure if that is a factor or not. I'm sure the noise will resurface this afternoon when I head back into work.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It really does sound like a creak of some sort, tight metal that is rubbing ever so slightly. I was driving myself crazy for 5k miles with the same kind of noises...dealer replace the anti-click washers and tightened the control arms. ALL the sounds went away. It's also a very common problem you see on this forum, so I would seriously start there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Any mode, normal, sport or even when the battery is depleted and it's running in gas mode. I also did a test yesterday going to work by setting my cruise control on the highway and then cancelled it allowing the car to slow down. I hit the resume button so it would accelerate and it also made the noise that way too. This helped me rule out the noise being in the pedal itself but rather something up near the firewall under the dash/ inside it (doesn't sound external like it's coming from the engine bay).

I drove home this morning from work (full charge) and it never made a peep in the 40 mile trip back home at any speed. Only thing different was the outside temperature is cooler than the times of day it normally happens. Not sure if that is a factor or not. I'm sure the noise will resurface this afternoon when I head back into work.
This also makes sense that it's the anti click washers. Colder means metal shrinks, less surface area to create the creak. When it's warm, metal expands and could lead to the excess creaking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dropped it off at a gm dealership today and they had it the entire day. Tech said it's normal and they also replaced the micro switch that ended up resolving my other issue: "shift to park", which they didn't charge me anything for.

·
Administrator
22,807 Posts
This TSB says one'd remove and discard the anti-click washers from both sides.
Nice find, thanks for posting dvb!

The TSB repair instructions are detailed and should be followed, but "remove and do not replace" does seem to be the solution.

Everview:
Some customers may comment on hearing an intermittent click noise in the front of vehicle. The ABS, TCS/Stabilitrak system lamps may also illuminate intermittently and those systems may be deactivated/shut off for that ignition cycle.

Upon verifying the condition, remove and discard the anti-click washer on the affected half shaft(s), then inspect the wheel speed sensor on that side(s). Follow the recommended steps in the Service Procedure below.

Important: DO NOT install any anti-click washer.
2. Remove the anti-clickwasher(1)from the
outboard joint of the half shaft (2) and discard.
3. If affected,repeat steps#1and#2on the opposite side.

Reactions: VOLTandaBOLT
1 - 9 of 9 Posts