GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In an attempt to increase my estimated range, I'm using mainly seat heat, which is nice and toasty, but am needing some air on the front windscreen, for my often short journeys around town, theres little point in attempting to keep heating the car each time. So, where I can, I've used a bit of fan, and selected the upper setting for the air. In noticing that the electric heating has come on, I've then sometimes backed off the heat temperature and the heating symbol has gone off. I seem to have the 'minimum' setting rather than 'fan only' on my 2014 Ampera.... I thought this setting would avoid the heater kicking in, but this doesn't seem to be the case
the other strange thing is that the A/C seems to start and stop a lot by itself at the start of a journey, maybe turns on for 10 seconds, then it's off, and it repeats several times, is this normal ?

P.S - why does the radio come of by itself when many of the console buttons are pressed ? pressing the Leaf button always seems to trigger the radio, I think climate button does too, bit strange ? is this normal, and can this feature be turned off ?

Many Thanks

Edit : could be that while in 'min' mode, it was auto-defogging, and that might be the reason ?
Paul

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
1) you may think you have the heat and AC turned off by selecting "fan only", but whenever you select the defrost/defog button, which is the one that directs air to the windshield only, then the car ignores your "fan only" setting and uses heat and AC, often at the same time, to dehumidify the air and help defog the windshield. If you want heat and AC to stay off, you have to be BOTH in "fan only" and in some other setting besides defrost. You could try the setting that uses both the foot and windshield vents. Also, you should turn off the "auto defog" setting in the settings menu, which will run the AC at times.
2) Yes, when not using the settings above, the AC turns on and off a lot. That is normal for this car, even though it is puzzling for many owners.
3) The radio thing sounds odd. Mine does not do that. Sounds like a possible defect.

·
Registered
723 Posts
About the AC turning on and off by itself, there is an "Auto defog" option in the car settings.

Turn that off so that the car does not turn on the AC every time it thinks the air in the car is too humid.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
radio is off if vol is zero
or as off as it ever gets

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha, thanks guys. really loving the car, something different, pretty interesting as far as cars go :)

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
radio is off if vol is zero
or as off as it ever gets
The radio button turns it off and on. Was it left in on position when car turned off? Not sure if that turns it off or in some kind of interm position that might get turned back on by some other combination of buttons.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re the radio, when it’s turned off by pushing the volume/on-off, certainly (at least) pressing the Leaf button turns it back on..... like every time !

I think some other buttons do it too, I’d have to check it out when I’m next in the car

(Clearly you can only actually notice this if there’s some volume on, for obvious reasons)

·
Registered
306 Posts
As for the radio, my 2011 does the same thing, I am pretty sure it is normal. Appears to me that the entire center stack is either off or on, you can't turn anything on without the radio coming on. At first I hated it, but it's really very minor, if you don't want to hear the radio, volume zero.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
may of the different sounds in the car are adjusted by the VOL knob as they are playing

The radio is just one of them.

My Volt is a quit zone the radio has not played in 5 years ( other than turning the wrong knob when zooming the nav map )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts