GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2014 Volt 44.5K miles
I'm terrible at identifying suspension parts and some of the suspension is under warranty, others are not.
This is left rear wheel. The part has disconnected

So what's the name of the part? Do you happen to know if it's covered under warranty?

I think this is relevant part of the warranty
Drive Systems
Drive system coverage includes all internally lubricated parts, final drive housings, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, propeller shafts and universal joints. All mounts, supports, seals, and gaskets, as well as any electrical components internal to the drive axle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the drive axle (e.g., front differential actuator). Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are all wheel bearings, drive wheel front and rear hub bearings, locking hubs, drive system cooling, lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring, and electrical connectors related to drive systems, as well as any drive system control module and/or module programming.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I can't view the photo.
Is it a sway bar link?
There are no driven wheels at the rear of the vehicle, so probably not under warranty.

Rear suspension parts are not exotic at all so it should be a simple, inexpensive fix though.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't view the photo.
Is it a sway bar link?
There are no driven wheels at the rear of the vehicle, so probably not under warranty.

Rear suspension parts are not exotic at all so it should be a simple, inexpensive fix though.
Try again, I changed the location.
Yeah, just trying to figure out whether to go to the dealer (aka stealer ;) )

·
Registered
654 Posts
Looks like rear shock absorber. Almost surely not covered. Get it fixed soon though. It may have just had mounting bolt come loose. Although after looking under my Volt it looks like the head may have broken off the bolt. Shocks aren't part of the drivetrain.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, if it's the bolt.. I have no idea why that would unbolt

Here's the other side where it is connected

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looks like rear shock absorber. Almost surely not covered. Get it fixed soon though. It may have just had mounting bolt come loose. Although after looking under my Volt it looks like the head may have broken off the bolt. Shocks aren't part of the drivetrain.
I've been thinking this is a drive gently and get it fixed right away. Just trying to figure out whether to go to the dealer

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yeah, that's just the bolt. Odd that it's come out, though. You're safe to ride like that, but it will be a bit more bouncy of a ride until it's reconnected. Warranty to replace a bolt and tighten it? I doubt it. Just get a new one from O'Reilly's or AutoZone and put it in, yourself. Shouldn't be more than a $20 job. Dealership would probably charge you $150 if it isn't under warranty. Use red LocTite on it, and the other side, too. ;)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It is possible the shock absorber is jammed and it sheared the bolt when going over a hard bump.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
None of the suspension is covered under the power train warranty only the 3/36 everything warranty covers suspension stuff. Unless you have an extended warranty that does cover suspension stuff.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hard to tell from his original picture, but based on the width of the other side and the parts diagram it looks like his original bolt may still be in there. Perhaps that is your bushing sleeve still on the bolt and the shock slid off. Is the head of the bolt there?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Not a particularly good photo of the area of interest, lots of possibilities. If the shock locked up you would have heard a horrible noise as the shock sheared off the lower mounting bolt. A sheared off bolt can be a PITA to remove. If the mounting bolt backed out and fell off it could be no big deal - new bolt properly torqued and you are good to go. However, it could have damaged the threads in the rear axle mount as it backed out. Depending on the damage it could be anything from simply cleaning the threads up and screwing in a new bolt to having to replace a much larger component - possibly the complete rear axle assembly.

My vote is take it to your dealer and take your medicine. Life sucks sometimes and sometime you dodge the bullet.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
2013 Diamond White
380 Posts
Not a particularly good photo of the area of interest, lots of possibilities. If the shock locked up you would have heard a horrible noise as the shock sheared off the lower mounting bolt. A sheared off bolt can be a PITA to remove. If the mounting bolt backed out and fell off it could be no big deal - new bolt properly torqued and you are good to go. However, it could have damaged the threads in the rear axle mount as it backed out. Depending on the damage it could be anything from simply cleaning the threads up and screwing in a new bolt to having to replace a much larger component - possibly the complete rear axle assembly.

My vote is take it to your dealer and take your medicine. Life sucks sometimes and sometime you dodge the bullet.

VIN # B0985
Best Answer

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

VIN # B0985
If I take it to the local dealer, then that is what they WILL do, according to their reputation

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I did not hear that sort of horrible noise.

It just suddenly started feel really loose back there along with a 'something's off with the suspension noise'

I live on a dirt road, and it's certainly a bit muddy right (as you can tell from picture) so there's definitely some bouncing around even at the 25 or 30 mph that I typically am at

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hard to tell from his original picture, but based on the width of the other side and the parts diagram it looks like his original bolt may still be in there. Perhaps that is your bushing sleeve still on the bolt and the shock slid off. Is the head of the bolt there?
Good eye, looking at that it does look like the bolt, doesnt it? So the shock could just slide off? It would just need to slide back in? (I would not be doing that myself)

Hopefully I can inspect it before rain comes in tomorrow

·
Registered
456 Posts
Good eye, looking at that it does look like the bolt, doesnt it? So the shock could just slide off? It would just need to slide back in? (I would not be doing that myself)

Hopefully I can inspect it before rain comes in tomorrow

No, the sleeve wasn't designed to separate from the bushing. The sleeve (and thus that end of the shock) should be held on by the bolt. If this is the case, then you may have lucked out and it is just a case of having someone jack up the rear of the vehicle, accessing the top of them and replacing both rear shocks. You technically are supposed to replace this bolt when replacing a shock.

I can't recall having ever seen this before. According to the parts diagram, it doesn't appear that the bolt has a long unthreaded shank so as to allow the sleeve free rotation when the rear axle bumper rotates. Since this isn't a common occurrence, have the shop give the area a good once over and compare the characteristics of the bolts from each side and what the new ones look like.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, the sleeve wasn't designed to separate from the bushing. The sleeve (and thus that end of the shock) should be held on by the bolt. If this is the case, then you may have lucked out and it is just a case of having someone jack up the rear of the vehicle, accessing the top of them and replacing both rear shocks. You technically are supposed to replace this bolt when replacing a shock.

I can't recall having ever seen this before. According to the parts diagram, it doesn't appear that the bolt has a long unthreaded shank so as to allow the sleeve free rotation when the rear axle bumper rotates. Since this isn't a common occurrence, have the shop give the area a good once over and compare the characteristics of the bolts from each side and what the new ones look like.
I think I understand that. :)

Thanks, and thanks everyone!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So they're replacing the shock, which after reading responses here I'm less suspicious that they said I should be replacing both

I did call the dealer who confirmed that the shocks are not covered under warranty at 44.5K miles , but would have at under 36

Thanks again folks!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Any reputable business dealing with suspension systems should be able to diagnose your problem and suggest corrective action. At a minimum, you should replace both rear shocks if the left one needs to be replaced because of separation of the bushing. Shocks wear internally and having one new one and one worn one on the other side of the axle could be a problem for you in certain circumstances when you are driving. Ask your friends about a reputable business in your town and go there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts