GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my 2016 Chevy Volt sat on the driveway for a few hours, the Check Engine Light (CEL) illuminated.

I had just finished a road trip from Reno, where the temps went down to 20 degrees. Back in San Jose, it’s 60 degrees. The car has 63,880 miles.

I checked under the hood and saw that the 3 reservoirs (Engine Cooling System, High Voltage Battery Cooling System, and Power Electronics Cooling System) are slightly low (below the half marks of the tanks).

I figured that the low fluid was triggering the CEL, so I bought the required Dex-Cool #12378390), and filled the 3 reservoirs. I also bought an OBD2 Code Reader—this showed the P2517 error code (A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor B Circuit Low).

I tried to clear this P2517 code, as I think the low coolant levels was the main cause the code to show up. The OBD2 reader does clear the CEL light briefly, but it will show up again when the vehicle restarts.

Does anyone know if this code clears itself after a few restarts, or do I need the dealer to clear it?

·
Registered
296 Posts
A/c refrigerant is a sealed system. Nothing to "fill" externally. You either have a leak. The an o ring out other seal could have cracked due to cold exposure, or you have a blockage in the system which is not likely. It may have needed to reach a certain ambient temperature before triggering the code. Dealer or good AC repair shop, one that's familiar with EV cooling systems.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
That was WAY too low if the battery tank but if the level sensor tripped you would have more errors.

that code number

A/C may not operate Symptoms
A/C may not operate

Common Problems That Trigger the P2517 Code
A/C pressure sensor failure
High voltage powertrain control module failure
Wiring issue

------------
So you may have a code that is a LOCK out code and need re-programming to get it cleared.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
P2517 isn't the engine, electronics, or battery coolant. It's the air conditioner. So while refilling the three Dexcool reservoirs was a good idea, that wasn't the source of your problem.

Take your car in to a trusted Chevy dealership to get the A/C fixed. It could be something as simple as a failed low side pressure sensor or as serious as a leaky A/C compressor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts