GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get the Ecopia's today, but the store had just sold their last set. So for a bit less, I'm trying a new tire Firestone recently came out with, the Champion Fuel Fighter. It ran about $108 a tire and there's a $60 rebate going on, so it's a bit less in price, I hope the quality is close.

The specs are very close to the Ecopia EP422 Plus except for the treadwear is 600 for the Firestone vs. 640 for the Ecopia, weight, tread depth, etc all identical. Hopefully the mileage is good. The tire rode well on the way home and sure was an improvement over my very worn OEM Goodyears.

I'll update once I get a few runs in on the mileage.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Please do check back. I'm looking at new rubber on mine in the fall and still perched on the fence about what to get.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Only one review of that tire on tirerack.com, but it is a very positive review. They don't list it in the Volt size. I am interested to hear your opinion after more miles. I will also need new tires soon.

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you click the specs link it shows a tread width of 6.7". That should be narrower than the OEM Goodyears. Probably great range and mileage. Watch for tread wear on the outside edges.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far I like them overall. I'm getting as good or maybe a little better range than I was with the OEM's, hope to get more if this Indiana weather ever gets out of the low 50's and rainy! On one nice day I did get to drive in the low 70's temp, not hypermiling, on country roads around 45 to 50 mph, I was getting about 4.2 to 4.4 Miles/KWh. I have no doubt if I tried, that I could easily milk out over 50 miles from a charge.

Road noise is more than the OEM's on some roads, less on others. Weird. The ride is good, a bit stiffer, but overall a nice ride, and you feel like you do have a beefier tire. When I did hit a small chuckhole, the tire absorbed quite a bit more than the OEM's, they always felt like the impact was being sent right to the rim, these don't do that.

I'll bet the Bridgestones are a bit quieter and maybe a little softer feeling for a little more money, but I haven't had that chance to compare.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm curious how these did for you after a couple years... I have about 70,000 miles on a 2013 Volt, and I need to replace two of the tires probably in the next month. I was thinking of going with these Firestone Fuel Fighters. About $124 in my area currently. I still have Goodyear Assurance on the car currently. I live in SoCal, so weather is probably very different here. But I've not felt real good about the Goodyear Assurance in wet weather driving - feels like too much hydroplaning to me with them. Are the Firestone better in that regards? Do they seem like they'll get 70,000 miles? If so, that should probably keep me okay with them for close to 6 years at least.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would guess that ANY new tire will be less likely to hydroplane than 6 year old tires with 70,000 miles on them. I know there are tires which will last for that many miles, but personally I replace mine before the tread depth ever gets that shallow for exactly that reason. Eeking another 10 or 15K from a set of tires with less than 4 or 5/32nds of tread depth is false economy in my book - If you slide off the road in the rain, it'll cost you much more than a new set of tires

Don

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you Don, I probably should have added in my post that I bought the car about 2 years ago off a 3 year lease then. So the original tires may have actually been replaced. Two still look pretty good. The two that aren't so good were just rotated to the back. So that very well could be what caused the hydroplaning the past year in wet times. I have a feeling previous owner (or used car dealer) may have only replaced two at some point. I think I've decided to go with a couple Continentals to replace those two in the next month.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts