1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Climate change is real, no doubt about it. 10,000 years ago or so we had the ice age where glaciers went all the way to well into the US. Perhaps ancient people using wood to heat and cook with started that ice age.

Lets give the new guy a chance. Currently EPA regulations, for those who had to fight with the EPA know first hand, they are not fair and equitable..

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Climate change is real, no doubt about it. 10,000 years ago or so we had the ice age where glaciers went all the way to well into the US. Perhaps ancient people using wood to heat and cook with started that ice age.

Lets give the new guy a chance. Currently EPA regulations, for those who had to fight with the EPA know first hand, they are not fair and equitable..
Seriously, I loved that comment. I am not being sarcastic in any way. I always joke with people who call me a "denier" because I teach history and have a very open mind about things. It is funny because when you ask them what caused the ice age (other than the obvious temperature dropping) they have to answer honestly with "I don't know"...that if fact, not speculation. And if you ask them what got us out of it (other than the obvious, temperatures rising), they have to answer, "I don't know"...that is fact, not speculation.

So, I can see us 10k years ago running around saying, "it is getting colder there is going to be an ice age" no one will make it, we will all freeze. It is man made. Let's stop it. (futile) it still happens...

Then, just the opposite, everyone is running around saying, "the temperature is rising, all this ice is going to melt, we will all be under water, we are not going to make it...it must be man made"... Let's stop it. (futile) it still happens...

Yep, we are in complete agreement. :) Yep, climate change is very real.

·
Registered
242 Posts
None of these statements are false. But they are all disingenuous.

We are now over 400ppm CO2 in the atmosphere. The last time it was this high, humans didn't exist. And we know from carbon C14 radioisotope dating that the increase (25% of the total) is entirely from humans burning fossil fuels. And this increase has occurred over the last 150 years. Not 1000s or 10s of thousands of years.

Anybody that thinks this is "no big deal" is either ignorant or selfish. Just because it was cold 10k years ago and took 1000s of years to get there is a meaningless point with regards to today's climate. We have effected a change that normally takes 1000s to 10s of thousands of years over 100. As Elon Musk has said, continuing to burn fossil fuels is "the dumbest experiment in history, by far."

I'll link to a speech by Rear Admiral Hyman Rickover in 1957 entitled "Energy Resources and our Future" for anyone interested in an intelligent pragmatic approach to the topic. http://www.theoildrum.com/node/2724

Seriously, I loved that comment. I am not being sarcastic in any way. I always joke with people who call me a "denier" because I teach history and have a very open mind about things. It is funny because when you ask them what caused the ice age (other than the obvious temperature dropping) they have to answer honestly with "I don't know"...that if fact, not speculation. And if you ask them what got us out of it (other than the obvious, temperatures rising), they have to answer, "I don't know"...that is fact, not speculation.

So, I can see us 10k years ago running around saying, "it is getting colder there is going to be an ice age" no one will make it, we will all freeze. It is man made. Let's stop it. (futile) it still happens...

Then, just the opposite, everyone is running around saying, "the temperature is rising, all this ice is going to melt, we will all be under water, we are not going to make it...it must be man made"... Let's stop it. (futile) it still happens...

Yep, we are in complete agreement. :) Yep, climate change is very real.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I cannot understand how anyone can deny climate change. The climate has always changed and it is changing now. Melting glaciers are an obvious observation. We are coming out of an ice age. It is probably true that it is changing faster than before. It is true that the atmosphere had much more CO2 in the past and that we are putting it back by burning fossil fuels. On a positive note not all of it is returned even then because of plastics and asphalt.

The scientific consensus is CO2 is causing the increase in change, including research by the Navy from as long ago as the late fifties. Yet there can be deniers as to the cause of climate change.

Still, there are many reasons to reduce the use of fossil fuels. The cost of gasoline is very unstable. Imported oil funds the economies of people who hate us. Tail pipe emissions have been a problem for a very long time in urban areas and reducing or eliminating it is the right thing to do. Those are enough reasons for me.

The geo political wraith of ignoring these problems is a concern. Places like Denmark are going all out o reduce CO2 because they have the most to loose.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
So is the following just false news or can the new administration really take action against people working in the EPA who believe in climate change?

http://theslot.jezebel.com/the-purge-of-government-employees-who-believe-in-climat-1789924745
I read something similar from a different source, but I can't account for how accurate or verifiable it is. One thing is certain, however: Trump's administration thus far puts the onus for any sort of real change in the hands of individuals because his proposed cabinet is only looking to further the interests of wealthy elites.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If climate change is real, why not simply accept it as the next phase of evolution, as humans fade off and superior life forms evolve to replace us?
I am with you on this one, Let us get extinct and be replaced by a better specie.

Our Specie is an obvious failure who does not seem to be getting any better with the passing centuries, we are only refining how greedy, self centered, violent, abusive of each other and stupid we are as a whole, and we sure do not deserve this planet :)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Whoops. The Donald doesn't agree with you. "Nobody really knows" if climate change is real.
About like an MSNBC news clip where they edit what they want to hear, and make it sound like the actual statement instead of keeping it in context...propaganda at its best. BTW, you might want to read my other posts. ;-

1 - 20 of 21 Posts