GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just purchased a 2014 Chevy Volt and I love the car. Ive been doing research for several months and am excited to finally have all this technology and efficiency in my driveway.

There is one thing I struggle a bit with and I have seen a few other forum posts in research about it. Ive also noticed I need to make ten posts to see signatures, so I figured this would be a good time to ask my question and see if my solution is valid.

My previous vehicle was a 2008 Ford Fusion with keypad entry. As a runner I LOVED the ability to just lock my keys in my car as long as I remembered my code. This proved extremely useful with not only my normal street run training, but with my trail runs where I might get wet, muddy, as well as Spartan Races, Toughmudders, events where I would 100% of the time be totally immersed, or covered in mud and dirt.

With the Volt, I dont have a way to enter the vehicle with just a code, I HAVE to have the keyfob.

Another poster mentioned that the Camaro keys - 23257735 - are the same fit as for the Volt, and would work to enter the vehicle (but not start it).

I've ordered the keys and they are on the way. My goal is to get them cut the same so I can use them to enter the vehicle. I've read that if I lock the vehicle with the key, the alarm wont go off when I re-enter with just the key.
I intend to hide the Camaro key on the outside of the vehicle, and hide the fob in a metal box (to block the transmitter) inside the car.

I've tested the metal box theory and it does indeed block the fob signal. I will update this post once I get the keys and get them cut.

Ive gotten mixed signals on who can cut these keys. Most folks say dealer only, but a few said locksmiths may have the tool now to cut them. Any thoughts on who can cut Volt keys?

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
And how is this keyless entry? You're still using a key.

Wouldn't it be easier to just download the Onstar Remotelink app to your smartphone and use that to unlock the car? Alas, protecting a smartphone from the mudfest... still a problem.

Wouldn't hiding a physical key outside the car be the same as hiding the fob in a metal box outside the car? Eliminates the need for the locksmith.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just download the Onstar Remotelink app to your smartphone and use that to unlock the car? Alas, protecting a smartphone from the mudfest... still a problem.
There's solutions for that. I've even got a snorkel-depth drybag for my phone and just goes round my neck and gets tucked into my rashguard shirt. Works perfectly. Can even still use the phone in it if I set it not to lock.

·
Registered
348 Posts
There's solutions for that. I've even got a snorkel-depth drybag for my phone and just goes round my neck and gets tucked into my rashguard shirt. Works perfectly. Can even still use the phone in it if I set it not to lock.
That's what I was thinking. A dry bag for sensitive gear. Although the keyfob is water resistant, it's not perfect. Even a good quality ziplock back would work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing is I want to have less stuff to carry. Some of these races submerge you, or you swim across a lake. I don't want to have to worry about carrying anything if I don't have to. (Some have bag checks, but some don't, or when you run solo you don't).

I got the Camaro key cut last week and it works exactly how I want it to. Unlocks only the door. As long as I lock the door with the Camaro key, I can even leave the fob inside the car and the doors refuse to auto unlock.
True that someone could smash the window and drive the car away. Still looking into a faraday cage box and hiding it in the trunk area. That would block the signal and prevent that.

Now all I have to do is carry the key which I can loop into my shoe laces or even hide on the car somewhere once I superglue a magnet to the key base.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The thing is I want to have less stuff to carry. Some of these races submerge you, or you swim across a lake. I don't want to have to worry about carrying anything if I don't have to. (Some have bag checks, but some don't, or when you run solo you don't).

I got the Camaro key cut last week and it works exactly how I want it to. Unlocks only the door. As long as I lock the door with the Camaro key, I can even leave the fob inside the car and the doors refuse to auto unlock.
True that someone could smash the window and drive the car away. Still looking into a faraday cage box and hiding it in the trunk area. That would block the signal and prevent that.

Now all I have to do is carry the key which I can loop into my shoe laces or even hide on the car somewhere once I superglue a magnet to the key base.
If you have to leave the fob inside the car, I would take the battery out of it and store it away from the fob. That way if someone did break into the car and found the fob, they still could not start it, unless they know about the dead fob location.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts