GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had recently moved and got a 240v line run up from the basement to the garage into which I plugged (via 6-50r receptacle) in my 240v charging station. Back in VA when I first got the thing installed I used to get these periodic red screen errors (which was accompanied by a quiet warning chirp) that said "A Self-Test Fault Occured... call" blah-blah-blah). I had gotten it resolved, as others on this board did, by having a tech come out and move some wires around and clip them up into the machine. It was reliable after that.

Now the red-screen of madness is back. It started almost right away, but it could be worked around by unplugging the unit and restarting it. If I plugged the car in within 5 minutes of it rebooting, it would communicate successfully with the car and charge it on schedule). After a couple of weeks its started acting more spotty so that the reboot work around stopped being totally reliable.

Last night it hooked right up with needing a re-boot, but a power failure to the house must have turned it off and when it turned it back on, the red screen came with it and my Volt went nuts. I had to shoot up out of bed at about 6:05 and turn off the car's alarm. The only other time I've heard that noise from the Volt is when there's been a circuit breaker trip while it was charging (longer story but unrelated).

I've called Blink but they merely stated that there's no certified tech in my new area so they can't help me. They didn't even offer to provide assistance over the phone. I'm just "out of the project" now. Whatever. I was out of the project before when I filled my committment to them 9 months ago.

I really don't want to get a new unit if this thing can be recovered. 1. It's wasteful... 2. I'm broke right now with buying the new house and all the money that goes out the window there. So brings me to the questions... does anyone have any procedures for fixing these things on their own that they could share? I've heard people say that I should test the operating voltage on the line but I could use some help in even knowing how to do that. I'm not sure what tool one would use for that (mutlimeter maybe, but hooked into what?).

·
Registered
667 Posts
The EVSe protects itself if line voltage varies. If the unit resets after 15-20 minutes......its your supply voltage not the evse.

All connections must be checked for good corrosion free mechanical tightness.

A mains loose neutral can cause this problem.

Trip of the breakers and make sure your evse has no power. Open and check/tighten all power leads. Tighten at the mains panel breakers.

Call an electrician to check the mains input to the panel from the electric company.

Lastly, transient voltages and currents riding on the AC signal can trip the EVSE. Anything that makes the voltage drop and can be seen to cause lights to dim (air conditioning or refrigeration high startup draw)

If you are using a plug on your EVSE..... cut it off and hard wire.

A great test for electrical noise id an AM radio. If you hear buzzing and clicks and pops...thats transients.

A tech can design a circuit to filter dirty AC feed to your EVSE.

Above all ...be safe...if unsure....call a professional

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm also just started randomly getting the failed self test after 11 months of use. I called blink a few weeks ago, but they never called back. I called them yesterday and now saying field dispatch is now on hold due to financial issues. Sigh.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm also just started randomly getting the failed self test after 11 months of use. I called blink a few weeks ago, but they never called back. I called them yesterday and now saying field dispatch is now on hold due to financial issues. Sigh.
The same thing happened to me about 8 months ago, after I had the unit for about 7 months. At that time, Blink sent someone out and replaced some part. It works fine now. But with Blink going belly up, they won't service the chargers since they won't be in business. The actually filed for bankruptcy yesterday and their assets will be sold next month. Sad, since they seemed to have a good company, lots of chargers, and really good customer service.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The same thing happened to me about 8 months ago, after I had the unit for about 7 months. At that time, Blink sent someone out and replaced some part. It works fine now. But with Blink going belly up, they won't service the chargers since they won't be in business. The actually filed for bankruptcy yesterday and their assets will be sold next month. Sad, since they seemed to have a good company, lots of chargers, and really good customer service.
Doh. I should have called in to support when the issue first happened. I'm guessing my out of luck now getting a repair. Time to check all the electrical connections and maybe even crack the case open. There was some interesting posts on the Nissan forum on the design of the blink. Lots of off the bench equipment hacked together into a nice pretty case.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Gawd I hope we are not in for another contender to SPX for poorest service.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You can also just disconnect a circuit board connector inside the Blink unit and it will revert to a dumb but reliable EVSE free of the software problems. This is a good option if service becomes unavailable due to the bankruptcy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all very much for you answers! I have a lot to go on now and I truly appreciate the assistance. I'll do the basic trouble-shooting to get myself down to at least a "hunch" and then call my professional in.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Oh please let me know how this goes. My unit also had this many months ago and a tech did the same fix of shortening (or lengthening) wires. When I called Blink the other day I got the runaround about getting a tech out. With the latest news of Ecotality now of course I know why! But, when I mentioned to the Blink guy that it had been serviced before he looked at his records again and said that my earlier fix was "before they knew what was really wrong", and that "now we have a permanent fix". Perhaps he meant the permanent fix was bankruptcy!, but I suspect not. Maybe he was just making it up, i'm not sure.

So if you find something that fixes this latest batch of errors, that may go a long way to helping a bunch of us. I do find it odd that the errors are starting again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Oh please let me know how this goes.
Update: It has been 2 weeks since I have moved the CT about an inch away from the terminal block. I have not had the issue happen again. I held the CT in it's new position with a wire tie. Based on the previous frequency of errors, I think this solved my issue. If errors start popping up again, I'll probably do as Donrim suggested and disconnect the computer board and screen.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Update: It has been 2 weeks since I have moved the CT about an inch away from the terminal block. I have not had the issue happen again. I held the CT in it's new position with a wire tie. Based on the previous frequency of errors, I think this solved my issue. If errors start popping up again, I'll probably do as Donrim suggested and disconnect the computer board and screen.
Was this your first time moving it? I'm asking cause I think this is what the Blink guy did for me some time ago that's considered "the temporary fix".

·
Registered
624 Posts
I've had an issue with randomly failed self test a few times a week back in May when it was starting to get warm here in AZ. Luckily I chose to extend the warranty on the Blink unit for another year after the first 2 years went by, by not taking ownership of the unit yet. They sent a tech out and he seems to know exactly what the problem was. He said that they have some wiring with bad connection that would start acting up when it gets warmer going into the summer. They re-spliced those wires and put a better connector on them. The problem was gone after that. I'm hoping that what he did was a permanent fix, if the temporary fix is to move the CT away from the terminal block.

·
Registered
285 Posts
OK, that's good to know. I'll have a look inside and see if there's anything obvious.

I did find out that if it fails the self test, if you unplug the unit and plug it in again straight away to reboot, but you leave the charging plug in place in the car, then after the reboot the unit will put itself on a 5 min delayed charge.

Prior to discovering that i'd unplug the car and go inside waiting for the unit to reset. Sometimes i'd forget and in the morning find I had a car with the same charge and the plug disconnected. DOH.

Now at least when it fails I just reboot it and can walk away. Still annoying though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can also just disconnect a circuit board connector inside the Blink unit and it will revert to a dumb but reliable EVSE free of the software problems. This is a good option if service becomes unavailable due to the bankruptcy.
Which connector? Which circuit board? I'd be happy to try this. I cracked the case and did not find any blown fuses or loose wires so must assume this is a circuit board issue.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
WE-30ckre ok on 120vac?

I have one of these Blink WE-30 EVSEs and moved, until we have a new space and 240v 40a service installed, I was going to install on 120vac. The label on the unit states 240vac/120vac single phase. Not an entry in the manual about 120vac support.

Has anyone tested one of these on 120vac? Perhaps I should disconnect the logic board and use as dumb evse until 240vac installed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tested on 120VAC, reported in MyNissanLeaf.com "Mods for Blink EVSE...". Boot problems on this unit regardless of 240vac or 120vac. With the logic board disabled, the contactor works only for low current, as one poster noted, because it isn't rated for 120vac to close correctly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts