GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any other Volt owners have a dog? And, are you having trouble taking your dog in it?

Here's my dilemma: my Dalmatian gets sick every time I drive him any distance in my Volt and he often ends up vomiting. He has no trouble in our gas powered vehicles. We've tried many things but to no avail so far: ridden with him in the back seat, folded a seat down for him, set him up with a doggy seat and harness, opened the windows for him, etc. So far he simply gets sick.

Does anybody have any idea what is causing his sickness?

TIA,

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Maybe the "quiet" motion bothers him.

Try putting some recordings of regular engine, traffic, etc. noises on the sound system. (Just a wierd guess on my part)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Two dogs, no problems.

·
Registered
977 Posts
My springer spaniel is fine riding in back - he'd rather have a long bench seat to stretch out on, but he's a good sport about it. One time, something very strange did happen. I was at my daughter's, and my grandson is very allergic to dogs, so instead of letting my dog sleep in his cage on the garage floor with the temperatures in the 40's, I thought I was doing him a favor by letting him stay in the Volt overnight (while it was charging). In the morning, he was growling at me until he fully woke up. Just a bad dog dream, or was there a high-pitched sound that was disturbing his sleep? The next night, he was very happy sleeping in his cage. I think I've heard before that there are no high-pitched sounds within a dog's hearing range but not for humans.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Does the car still have the "new car" smell? Maybe it is some smell in the car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My dachshund chihuahua mix has always been nervous in the car and is equally as nervous in the Volt. However, I have had a friend that swears he gets motion sick every time he rides with me in the Volt (and he was okay with me driving in my gas car). So I think there's definitely something to it as far as overly sensitive individuals (human or otherwise). I'm guessing its the lack of noise indicating speed and whatnot.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I discovered that if you want to fold down the back seat, you can remove the back seat bottom cushions by simply pulling up on them (they snap off and on). Then the fold-down is perfectly flat. I stuffed some rolls of toilet paper into the "gap" between the back seats and laid a heavy comforter over the whole back platform. My dog now has a large flat (easy to clean) surface to lie on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
high Frequency Noises

I would wager that it is the high frequency noises from the Various Power conversions. I don't notice it, but my kids (age 13 and 16) definitely tell me there are high pitched noises from the Car. They notice it especially when the car is moving.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I would wager that it is the high frequency noises from the Various Power conversions. I don't notice it, but my kids (age 13 and 16) definitely tell me there are high pitched noises from the Car. They notice it especially when the car is moving.
Most of these noises come from outside the car. Inside it'e pretty quiet. Also high pitched noises would more likely annoy the dog and make it bark or shake it's head around. I think it might be that the bottom of the windows on the Volt are somewhat higher than some other cars. The seat position is lower. (Like a chrysler 300) Perhaps the dog can't see outside as well so he gets motion sickness more easily. If the dog could sit up and look out the window he might not get as sick.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would check with a veterinarian as its most likely something specific to your dog in combination with the car.

We have a golden retriever and he has no issues riding in the back.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I take my two Boston terriers where ever I go and they love going in all the cars I have owned.

I am looking forward to hot weather, The past two summers it was expensive running the diesel engine to keep the dogs cool.

I have a strict rule about running the A/C if I leave the dogs in the car more than 5 minutes without the A/C on. Last summer some idiot left a child in a car and the kid died, I would not ever do that to my dog and these people did it to a child. What were they thinking,..I guess they weren't thinking

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
My Jack Russell Terrier is fine in the Volt. Of course he likes to ride with his front paws on the armrest and his head out the window, LOL. Which might not work out so well for some of you in the more northern climes this time of year. Once I finally got the power window switch fixed so that he can't roll the window down and jump out, we have a bit less drama on our rides at least.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some animals (and people) are sensitive to the EMF generated by battery packs in Electric Vehicles. I'm one such human. I found a solution that completely negates the effect of the EMF in the Volt from a company in Connecticut.
http://www.emfblues.com/

I have 2 'Tri Paks' and a 'Star Tri Pak' in the vehicle and I no longer feel any of the effects I initially experienced from the EMF.

Might be worth a try with your dog. Any people that feel affected could give it a try as well.
Please report your results back here so we have feedback from more than just me.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Some animals (and people) are sensitive to the EMF generated by battery packs in Electric Vehicles. I'm one such human.
With all due respect, I think the EMF thing is a non-starter. Sure, there are people who claim it and look for settlements, and there are many people in Europe collecting permanent disability because they claim the EMF from the low-emissions monitors are making them sick.

Have data before you start making accusations.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
With all due respect, I think the EMF thing is a non-starter. Sure, there are people who claim it and look for settlements, and there are many people in Europe collecting permanent disability because they claim the EMF from the low-emissions monitors are making them sick.

Have data before you start making accusations.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My dog (a British Lab) can't wait to get in either Volt to go for a ride. If it is any distance she falls asleep in the back.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
With all due respect, I think the EMF thing is a non-starter.
And likewise with all due respect, if dcs01 says it works for him there's no reason to get into any arguments about it. They tend to be non-productive.

I have no problem with someone saying "Hey, this works for me - try it out if you think you've got a similar issue." Where I run into problems is when someone says "Don't buy Hybrid cars (or computers or cell phones or radon illuminated wrist watches - oh wait... maybe you *should* hold off on the wrist watches) because of X, Y, or Z, unless you buy my product that does U,V, and W!".

But I don't see that here. If you agree it's an issue, look into it. If you don't, as long as nobody here's trying to make money on forum users just move along...

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm going agree with this or the smell issue. New cars are notorious have having toxic fumes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts