GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
We are having the following issues with our 2012 Chevy Volt with about 49k miles.

Received the following OBD Codes with a MIL/CEL Light on the dashboard. The MIL/CEL goes off by itself then comes back. We have not cleared the codes, we wanted to make sure they were available for the service department.

P1E00 - Generic something is wrong type of code
P1E92 - Hybrid/EV Battery Interface Control Module 1 Cell Balancing Circuit
P0A9C - Hybrid/EV Battery Temperature Sensor 1 Performance

We are also receiving an intermittent "Battery too cold, Plug in to warm” message on the dash display. From what I understand this message is only supposed to come on in extremely cold weather (negative temperatures) if at all.
In my opinion all this adds up to a battery module being replaced (at least).

We live in the Florida Keys.
I have been to Kieth Pierson Chevy in Florida City. They completely neglected the problem and instead wanted to replace my wipers, cabin air filter, rear hubs, etc. Which I had already done myself. Realizing they were gouging me we just went and picked the car up.

Now we are at Niles Chevy in Key West. We went there because they had let us know they had a Volt technician. Well they determined a portion of the battery needs to be replaced, but they do not have the equipment to do it. So, now they are trying to brush us off and are telling us to come pick up the car. We have opened up a case with GM, but their sense of urgency is a fraction of ours.

I always read this forum but haven't posted because I get so much through the search function. But I am at a loss here. What do I do now? I just want my car repaired (under the still active warranty) and back in my driveway.

Thanks in advance for any help/insight you can provide. IMG_1246.jpg

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
657 Posts
I had my tranny replaced on my G2 in Dec/15 at Autonation Pembroke Pines. First G2 they had seen at the time. Think I was actually the only G2 in Florida at that time. They did a reasonably good job with only a couple of minor post work issues. Not the closest to you for sure, but they do sell and service Volts

·
Administrator
20,143 Posts
Ask the dealer (or GM customer service) to find another local dealer that has the equipment needed. Then confirm with the other dealer that they actually do have the needed equipment before moving the car.

GM customer services should be able to help you do this and book the appointment if they are any good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! That is exactly what I did (seemed like a reasonable request) and the communications died down. If nothing else, I am going to start calling the dealerships that sell Volts around Miami and see if they can do the work before i drive 130+ miles. I have about zero confidence in their competence at this point. I am in an isolated area but I did my due diligence when I bought it about a year ago and checked with the local dealer to make sure they could service it. What good is having a Volt Technician if they dont give them the tools to do their job? I have an aviation maintenance background so alot of our tools are specialized, I understand that. I would be raising hell if my specially trained technicians didnt have the tools necessary to do their job. Sorry, just venting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
GM customer service lost points with me again today. We spoke with a senior advisor (again). He didnt even know what we were talking about and we had talked several times.
He said he was still reaching out to the Key West dealership (BS, we went by there today), in a separate conversation we had already covered that they could not do the repair. He cant even tell us if our hybrid battery is covered under the voltec warranty. Sigh..I love the Volt, but I hate this crap. FWIW, their dealership needs some major help. They were so disorganized they couldnt find the keys to the car that was blocking us in. They were looking in drawers, pockets, etc. All keys should be in a central location if they are not being worked on. The key they finally found was mislabeled...
I got the feeling they all knew I had dinged them with Chevy corporate (very cold reception), the guy helping us looked like he had drawn the short straw, but someone needs to know what is going on down there.

·
1,027 Posts
Try this number
1-877-486-5846 ( Old volt advisor # )
or
1-866-636-2273 ( chevy executive / lemon law )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Volt is finally being towed to Bomnin Chevy in Miami. Roadside assistance was more helpful than the case agent. It is frustrating because I kept asking for his supervisors name and number because he seemed lost, he said he couldnt give it to me. They dont even like to give out their last names for security reasons. That could be true, but it also seems like a convenient excuse. Where is the accountability? I am anxious to hear what Bomnin finds out about the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They have decided battery section 3 needs to be replaced. This falls in line with the OBD codes I had received (Module 1 is in section 3). Bomnin Chevy could not give me an ETA on when they would receive it. I'll check back next week.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry about your troubles with chevy dealers in your area. I had similar problem with section 3 needing replacement. Van Gannaway in the Central Florida area was knowledgeable and responsive. My car was out of warranty.....so they understood Id have to pay out of pocket. Chevy customer service got involved...I got financial assistance from chevy and my total cost out the door was less than $3500. Grant you......that's not cheap. They ordered battery and installed it within days. I kinda lost confidence in the car and traded it in.......but just couldn't stay away so I got my latest Volt. Point being......don't let these useless dealers get you down. I find the dealers get just as excited about our cars as we do.....just need to find the right ones!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm trying not to lose faith. We really like the car alot, but we have been through about three worthless dealers and two "Senior" Advisors that couldn't get their stories straight.. If you look up employment ads for Senior Advisors they are nothing special, just basic tier 2 customer service. They only go by their first names and wont refer you to a supervisor (we have asked repeatedly).
I see the old forum postings that mention Volt Advisors, I wish we still had them since there is obviously still a need.
No matter what number I call they funnel me back to our "Senior Advisor" named Eric who doesnt seem to know anything.

·
1,027 Posts
Well you have the MMWA, it has teeth, as long as there is some warranty on the car, you can hurt them. The chevy people will not give a damn about you until they know you are going to cost them money. Start taking lots of pics of your car and post them all over the web and have a attorney call them or send them a nice friendly letter and get names and details to give you piece of mind. Let it ride and see what happens. The advisors are all mostly useless. The only people worth anything were the old volt team and they are all gone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still waiting for information and an estimated completion date, apparently my service advisor at Bomnin Chevy has fallen off the face of the earth. He never answers his phone and when the secretary answers she can't "find" him. I'm about ready to take this up a notch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Finally got the Volt back today. They replaced the battery section 3, BICM 1, and a CV joint all under warranty. They also reprogrammed the BECM and cleared the DTC's. Charging it up at the house now, we'll see how it goes. This process was such a pain in the butt!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Finally got the Volt back today. They replaced the battery section 3, BICM 1, and a CV joint all under warranty. They also reprogrammed the BECM and cleared the DTC's. Charging it up at the house now, we'll see how it goes. This process was such a pain in the butt!
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you have your Volt back and (hopefully) in perfect working order! What a painful process you had to go through for what should have been a smooth warranty claim. It worries me a bit that I also have a 2012 Volt, with similar mileage (79K km or 49K miles), and my local dealer's reputation is not the best (I have taken the car so far for regular oil change and checks to my trusted indy shop). Mind you, I've had the car for only 15 months and it was purchased as certified pre-owned. Good luck with your Volt!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Our Volt's seem very similar. I bought mine as a CPO with around 33k on the odometer in Sept. 2017, currently 49k.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts