GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I got a used 2017 Volt a couple of weeks ago and I am experiencing issues with Android Auto. Some of the time, the phone connects fine and all is well, but other times nothing happens. I have tried two different phones and three different USB cables and the issues are the same. I have tried to reboot the phones and turn on and off the car, to plug the phone in when the car is on and when it is off, and still the problems persist. As I mentioned, sometimes it just connects fine, other times it takes many tries, and other times yet we can't manage to connect.

Anyone experiencing similar issues?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Hi everyone,

I got a used 2015 Volt a couple of weeks ago and I am experiencing issues with Android Auto. Some of the time, the phone connects fine and all is well, but other times nothing happens. I have tried two different phones and three different USB cables and the issues are the same. I have tried to reboot the phones and turn on and off the car, to plug the phone in when the car is on and when it is off, and still the problems persist. As I mentioned, sometimes it just connects fine, other times it takes many tries, and other times yet we can't manage to connect.

Anyone experiencing similar issues?
2015 doesn't come with Android Auto to the best of my knowledge. That was a Gen 2 thing. What, exactly, are you connecting when it works?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2015 doesn't come with Android Auto to the best of my knowledge. That was a Gen 2 thing. What, exactly, are you connecting when it works?
I'm sorry, I meant 2017. It's 2nd generation. I amended the original post. I have tried to connect two Motorola phones, they work fine on other cars.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Check the cables. My 2017 Volt is very twitchy about the cable being used.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Reactions: drghirlanda

·
Registered
908 Posts
In my experience, Android Auto glitches are almost always the fault of the cable. Even brand new cables can be twitchy. Try a few different brands. Even ones that are stable for many months eventually start to work inconsistently.

Another possibility is that you have dirt in your USB connector on your phone.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Had similar problem with my 2017 Volt, ordered this cable: Inateck USB C Cable, USB A to USB C 3.1 Gen2 Cable,100cm/3.Ft,CA1001, works great now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Let the phone connect via bluetooth before you plug in the cable after you turn on the car. I had this happen a whole lot. Kind of a pain in the butt to remember, but I noticed when it was going on, if I looked at the "Phone" icon outside of Android Auto in the infotainment system that the phone wasn't connected, lol even though much of the other stuff in Android Auto worked fine.

But once I started waiting for the "Blue Tooth Connected" message after turning on the car before I plugged in the phone, haven't had it happen any more, and the phone shows "connected" in the infotainment system. I still get the very intermittent lack of audio on android auto music that requires an unplug/replug the cable, but the phone connection itself is solid now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just replaced my phone, a Moto Z3, (not a bad phone for the time I had it) that I could get to work with a good cable pretty well, with only a few bugs and workarounds, with a Google Pixel 4a. The difference is incredible, suddenly it's quick and snappy and I'm not working around issues like I did anymore. I do believe the cable makes a huge difference, but I believe there's something about the way certain phones work with certain manufacturers infotainment systems too.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I just replaced my phone, a Moto Z3, (not a bad phone for the time I had it) that I could get to work with a good cable pretty well, with only a few bugs and workarounds, with a Google Pixel 4a. The difference is incredible, suddenly it's quick and snappy and I'm not working around issues like I did anymore. I do believe the cable makes a huge difference, but I believe there's something about the way certain phones work with certain manufacturers infotainment systems too.
I made a similar switch, in my case from a Moto X4 to a Pixel 3a. I also noticed how suddenly everything was working faster, especially Android Auto. That was a couple years ago and the Pixel is still pretty snappy.

Don't get me started on Motorola phones - a few years ago they pushed an update to the X4 that totally destroyed the ability to do anything with the USB port except charge the phone, which meant no Android Auto. Then they didn't fix it for several MONTHS despite howls of protest online. After that experience I swore that was the last Motorola phone I would ever buy. And I was actually quite loyal to the brand - every single cell phone I'd ever owned going back to the early 2000s was a Motorola. But they really went downhill after Google bought them, stripped the company of all its patents, and sold the remaining shell of a company to Lenovo. I'm not buying crap Lenovo computers either, after this experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts