GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey Steverino, you made an excellent guide for ''A guide to what your Volt is saying'' for gen 1, does it apply litteraly to the gen 2? If not, have you made a guide for gen 2?

This guy on FB is going insane about triple honks on is gen 2 and i'm trying to help him so i'm wondering if the gen 1 guide also applies to gen 2. Here's a copy of his post:

''The dreaded Triple-Honk is driving me INSANE. I've been trying to figure out WHY my new 2017 keeps triple-honking at me and everyone around me. It's not fun apologizing for my (otherwise awesome) car's behavior and it doesn't reflect well on the brand at all to be pissing off neighbors at 2AM. I've disabled "Unlocked Door Anti-Lockout" as well as "Remote Left in Vehicle Alert", and I STILL get triple-honks!!! I *have* found that if I manually unlock doors using the inside door-handle, that the car doesn't seem to understand that the car has been unlocked. This seems to be a serious defect. In addition, this morning, I turned off my car, changed my charge rate, and as I was exiting the screen, it triple-honked me!!!??? WTF GM? I would cut the damned horn out if I could, but I'd like to actually use the horn for DRIVING. I'm beyond livid and embarrassed at my car honking at everyone. Any tips would be welcome. I'll be calling GM shortly, but I'm not expecting much.''

Tanks in advance, Steve.

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
Or you could try RTFM !!
lol, that's how I made the Gen 1 guide. Search the owners manual PDF for "three" or "horn" for details.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Set it to Automatically Unlock the doors when placed in Park. No need to use the manual unlock any more.

Always exit with your fob after your have turned off the car. No more triple honks.

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
''The dreaded Triple-Honk is driving me INSANE. I've been trying to figure out WHY my new 2017 keeps triple-honking at me and everyone around me. It's not fun apologizing for my (otherwise awesome) car's behavior and it doesn't reflect well on the brand at all to be pissing off neighbors at 2AM. I've disabled "Unlocked Door Anti-Lockout" as well as "Remote Left in Vehicle Alert", and I STILL get triple-honks!!! I *have* found that if I manually unlock doors using the inside door-handle, that the car doesn't seem to understand that the car has been unlocked. This seems to be a serious defect. In addition, this morning, I turned off my car, changed my charge rate, and as I was exiting the screen, it triple-honked me!!!??? WTF GM? I would cut the damned horn out if I could, but I'd like to actually use the horn for DRIVING. I'm beyond livid and embarrassed at my car honking at everyone. Any tips would be welcome. I'll be calling GM shortly, but I'm not expecting much.''
He says triple honk, however it is my understanding the triple honk is only when the car is left turned on. There is also a double honk if the keys are left in the car with the car turned off. Of course this can be turned off in config. Perhaps he is leaving the Key Fob in the car.

Even if he opens the door from inside with the handle, it unlocks that one door. But if he leaves the Key Fob inside it will double honk. Maybe he should read up on this in the Manual.

·
Registered
160 Posts
"Set it to Automatically Unlock the doors when placed in Park. No need to use the manual unlock any more."
Ya, NO, thank you. It's a safety feature to NOT unlock the doors when placed in Park. If I'm in a sketchy part of town I do NOT want my car doors automatically unlocked when I put the car in park - totally enables a carjacker or mugger to hop right in. So ya, that's not an adequate workaround.

When I manually unlock the door I'm UNLOCKING THE DOOR. The car should recognize that and NOT beep when the door closes again. I consider this a system DEFECT. "Unlocked Door Anti-Lockout" is OFF, and an my door is UNLOCKED - and yet I still get the dreaded triple-honk.

·
Registered
160 Posts
For those suggesting I RTFM, please STOP. I HAVE. There are at minimum, 2 distinct causes for the Triple Honk in a 2017:

1) Leaving the car with the fob and the vehicle ON. This is STUPID and INFURIATING, but we all know why: GM Legal and some idiot leaving their car on in a garage.

2) Door locked anti-lockout. Unfortunately, manually unlocking the door doesn't seem to tell the car that the door has been unlocked (even though it knows a door opened), and will then triple-honk and re-unlock the already unlocked door. This also happens when a passenger manually unlocks and re-closes a door.
THIS IS A DEFECT, in that the car does not recognize when it has been unlocked manually.

P.S. YES, "Unlocked Door Anti-Lockout" is OFF.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Repro steps:

BTW, repro steps for the issue I'm experiencing:

1. In settings-->Vehicle-->RemoveLock,Unlock,Start, turn "Remote Left in Vehicle Alert" OFF
2. In settings-->Vehicle-->PowerDoorLocks, turn "Auto Door Unlock" OFF.
3. In settings-->Vehicle-->PowerDoorLocks, turn "Unlocked Door Anti-Lockout" OFF
4. Start car
5. Simulate a drive (Shift out of Park, and back into Park)
6 Verify doors are still locked after shifting into Park (Auto Door Unlock is off)
7. Turn car OFF
8. Manually unlock driver door with inside door handle.
9. Open driver door with inside door handle.
10. Close door.
11. Hear TRIPLE HONK.

Alternate steps:

10. Leave car, with fob on person.
11. Close driver door.
12. Return to car, open driver door.
13. Sit down with fob on person.
14. Close driver door.
15. Hear TRIPLE HONK

These steps also work with the front passenger door. Haven't tested with rear passenger doors.

Please feel free to test these steps yourselves. I feel the root of the problem is that the manual two-step door unlock/open does not register the unlock event with the car's computer, thus making it think that you've exited the locked vehicle (somehow) and left the remote in the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Ya, NO, thank you. It's a safety feature to NOT unlock the doors when placed in Park. If I'm in a sketchy part of town I do NOT want my car doors automatically unlocked when I put the car in park - totally enables a carjacker or mugger to hop right in. So ya, that's not an adequate workaround.

When I manually unlock the door I'm UNLOCKING THE DOOR. The car should recognize that and NOT beep when the door closes again. I consider this a system DEFECT. "Unlocked Door Anti-Lockout" is OFF, and an my door is UNLOCKED - and yet I still get the dreaded triple-honk.
I think we are talking about different things here. The triple honk comes from leaving the car (or just opening & closing the door without leaving) with it still turned on.
You would get a double honk if you turn off the car and exit without the key.
The only thing that would set off the horn when manually unlocking the door is the intrusion alarm (30 seconds). If you are locking the door with a push button, then unlocking manually with the door handle, the alarm is sounded because the unlock is different than the lock. If you manually lock the door with the slider, not the electric button, then the alarm is not active.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think we are talking about different things here. The triple honk comes from leaving the car (or just opening & closing the door without leaving) with it still turned on.
You would get a double honk if you turn off the car and exit without the key.
The only thing that would set off the horn when manually unlocking the door is the intrusion alarm (30 seconds). If you are locking the door with a push button, then unlocking manually with the door handle, the alarm is sounded because the unlock is different than the lock. If you manually lock the door with the slider, not the electric button, then the alarm is not active.
Hi. I've done some extensive testing on this. Please read my repro steps above. We're not talking about the car alarm, nor are we talking about a keyfob being removed from an ON vehicle. we're talking about a defect with the "Unlocked door anti-lockout" being turned off, and still thinking the door is locked.

Again, please read the repro steps, and if you have a 2017, please feel free to see if you can reproduce the defect.

Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
And, aside from ANY of the causes, ultimately, I want to permanently DISABLE ANY AND ALL TRIPLE-HONKS.

MY CAR SHOULD NOT BE HONKING AT ALL UNLESS IT'S BEING BROKEN INTO OR I'M PRESSING THE HORN BUTTON. PERIOD.
AND YES, I'M YELLING BECAUSE MY CAR IS F**KING YELLING AT ME!!!

It's like being in a relationship with an otherwise wonderful intelligent attractive, entertaining person, who, several times a day, yells out F**K YOU!! to random strangers. I do not want my car to get me beat up or killed over this goddamned horn.

I may have to pursue legal options. Seems GM will change things when lawyers are the ones asking.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
And, aside from ANY of the causes, ultimately, I want to permanently DISABLE ANY AND ALL TRIPLE-HONKS.

MY CAR SHOULD NOT BE HONKING AT ALL UNLESS IT'S BEING BROKEN INTO OR I'M PRESSING THE HORN BUTTON. PERIOD.
AND YES, I'M YELLING BECAUSE MY CAR IS F**KING YELLING AT ME!!!

It's like being in a relationship with an otherwise wonderful intelligent attractive, entertaining person, who, several times a day, yells out F**K YOU!! to random strangers. I do not want my car to get me beat up or killed over this goddamned horn.

I may have to pursue legal options. Seems GM will change things when lawyers are the ones asking.
Have you checked the Passive Door lock setting? One of the options is On with Active Horn Chirp.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
BTW, repro steps for the issue I'm experiencing:

1. In settings-->Vehicle-->RemoveLock,Unlock,Start, turn "Remote Left in Vehicle Alert" OFF
2. In settings-->Vehicle-->PowerDoorLocks, turn "Auto Door Unlock" OFF.
3. In settings-->Vehicle-->PowerDoorLocks, turn "Unlocked Door Anti-Lockout" OFF
4. Start car
5. Simulate a drive (Shift out of Park, and back into Park)
6 Verify doors are still locked after shifting into Park (Auto Door Unlock is off)
7. Turn car OFF
8. Manually unlock driver door with inside door handle.
9. Open driver door with inside door handle.
10. Close door.
11. Hear TRIPLE HONK.

Alternate steps:

10. Leave car, with fob on person.
11. Close driver door.

12. Return to car, open driver door.
13. Sit down with fob on person.
14. Close driver door.
15. Hear TRIPLE HONK

These steps also work with the front passenger door. Haven't tested with rear passenger doors.

Please feel free to test these steps yourselves.
I feel the root of the problem is that the manual two-step door unlock/open does not register the unlock event with the car's computer, thus making it think that you've exited the locked vehicle (somehow) and left the remote in the vehicle.
If that were true then it would happen after Alternate step 11 not at 15. I think it could be either with your Passive Door lock setting or it may even be with the Key Fob. Try holding the Key Fob in your hand at the steering wheel level and see if you get the same result.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Ya, NO, thank you. It's a safety feature to NOT unlock the doors when placed in Park. If I'm in a sketchy part of town I do NOT want my car doors automatically unlocked when I put the car in park - totally enables a carjacker or mugger to hop right in.
Yeah, actually that's the back end of an automatic lock while in gear function, and it does help prevent carjacking from red lights and such.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If that were true then it would happen after Alternate step 11 not at 15. I think it could be either with your Passive Door lock setting or it may even be with the Key Fob. Try holding the Key Fob in your hand at the steering wheel level and see if you get the same result.
Nope, because the fob is out of the vehicle when the door is closed. Only when the fob is returned to the vehicle does it honk, thinking the fob is left in a locked vehicle. My dealer and I were able to reproduce the behavior on a Volt in his lot today, so it's not just mine.

The ROOT of the problem appears (I apparently need to repeat this until I'm blue in the face) to be that manually unlocking the car with the inside door lever doesn't register with the car as an unlock event, as using the keyfob or unlock button might. One promising discovery we made today is that the door *must* have a lock position sensor, since the Unlocked-Door-Anti-Lockout mechanism will re-unlock the door if one merely pushes down the vertical lock pin to lock the door. This means that, theoretically, it can be fixed!

I have a case opened up with GM and will push this through until it's fixed for everyone.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah, actually that's the back end of an automatic lock while in gear function, and it does help prevent carjacking from red lights and such.
...Which is a feature that I'd love to be able to *selectively* disable for those times when it's a pain. I was at an airshow at Edwards AFB (50th anniversary of Chuck breaking the sound barrier) and my dad and I were waiting in a super-long line to park the car, so we'd trade off waiting in line so we could each run up the little embankment and see what was flying. Long story short, auto-lock was new at the time and almost caused me to get injured as I ran back up to the rolling rental car to open the door and hop in - in one fell swoop - and it didn't open as expected, ended up torquing my ankle pretty hard.

Basically EVERYTHING automatic should be configurable in a car. There's no reason not to. Make it hard to find if necessary and show it big and proud in any tech-support reports so they will know what the user has done, but, like the Windows Registry, make it *available*.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
...Which is a feature that I'd love to be able to *selectively* disable for those times when it's a pain.
Let me introduce you to some text from the manual then:

Auto Door Unlock

This allows selection of which doors will automatically unlock when the vehicle is shifted into P (Park).
Select All Doors, Driver Door, or OFF.
I forgot to add that it keeps people from getting out of the car (like kiddies) when the car could potentially be moving.

P.S. With a relay and a couple of diodes you could fix the car so the horn only sounds when the car is in gear, and you could do it all under the hood.

Tap into the headlight and DRL circuits (one or the other will be on unless automatic headlights also bother you) to energize the coil. Use a diode on each to prevent back-feeding the circuits. Break the horn circuit and put it on one of the NO contacts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts