GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to suggest an online trip planner for the volt. It would be very helpful to be able to pull up a map on your home computer or iPad and plan a route in advance. (Using My OnStar perhaps?) You could mark waypoints. Locate restaurants & charging stations... Then send the route information to the navigation system. (Kinda like OnStar does...) This kind of trip planner would help further reduce range anxiety.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Range anxiety? Charging stations? I can't say that I've ever thought about either of those things when driving the Volt. These are really issues if you're driving a BEV. You'd probably get more information in the Nissan Leaf site.

To answer your question, I don't know of any. With OnStar you can always ask for directions to anywhere. That's easy enough. For charging stations, from what I gather there isn't even a map that is nearly complete or accurate enough to be truly useful.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any range anxiety that's different than most other cars I have owned. But sometimes I drive on long trips cross country. I do like to think about where the next gas station might be. The Volt has a max range of about 340 miles. And I assure you that it is possible to run out of gas in a Volt. (Or any car.) Also I like to plan restaurants, hotels and rest stops.

However...

Actually... (Because GM agrees with ME.) I just discovered that these features already exist!

The OnStar app for your phone has this feature built in.

OnStar offers eNav for you home computer. It's already built into Google maps and Mapquest. Just locate the destination in Google maps and select "send" then select "car" enter your OnStar login info and your location will be sent to the car. You can also

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
You can also send multiple destinations to your car (via mapquest/onstar/googlemaps as mentioned).

Once in the car download them. Set a DEST to any of them. Then select DEST again and use Add Waypoint. Clicking on an existing point in your waypoint list is telling the system you want to add a waypoint **above** where you just clicked. Use "whole route" from the NAV menu to see the distance for all of them.

I've been meaning to do a little tutorial on this as I use this even on some multi destination single days. ie. work, club, sporting_event, home. Answers the question do I have enough battery. i.e. use 'whole route' as mentioned above.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I would like to suggest an online trip planner for the volt. It would be very helpful to be able to pull up a map on your home computer or iPad and plan a route in advance. (Using My OnStar perhaps?) You could mark waypoints. Locate restaurants & charging stations... Then send the route information to the navigation system. (Kinda like OnStar does...) This kind of trip planner would help further reduce range anxiety.
There are these cool web apps, called google maps and Mapquest. I can define a trip on them and send it to the Volt, Kinda like OnStar does except I do it on my laptop. While charging stations for the car are not important to me, charging stations for my wife and I are; I made multiple subtrips; it would be nice if it kept all waypoints but I don't recall if it does or If I just planed legs separately. (We normally stop for a hike, lunch or whatever so its a start/stop car kind of thing and separate destinations for each leg made it easy to manage).

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mylink on the smart phone will and can do that planning for you. Plan your trip and put all your addresses in your contact list under a group designation. Restaurants, sight seeing stops etc. You can then start Mylink and down load those addresses while you are on the road. Very nice app...

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
PatsVolt: can you describe how to do "group destination" and how to get the contact lists in it. ( have thousands of addressees in my phones contact list but the only way I saw to use them is iphone cut/paste into the nav's search). One of the reasons i do it in google maps as the cut/past is much faster/easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts