GM Volt Forum banner

Trip - Adelaide to Portland

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Aus1 
#1 ·
On a trip from Adelaide to Portland ~550km I returned an overall 5.0l/100km. (About 5.6l/100km on petrol only.) Very happy with this result. A change in altitude of about 100m in Adelaide down to 20m in Portland. I traveled through the Adelaide hills in EV mode then once on the highway 110km/hr until the Victorian border (100km/hr), about 500km.:cool:

Of course EV through the towns and the last 20km to use up the battery charge. I also ended up with about 100km of petrol range remaining.

I did not do any top up charges during the trip - 1 overnight charge only. I did switch a lot from HOLD to EV and even changed over when SOC was at top of window during HOLD to capture a few more EV km's for later use; wonder if that contributed to the 11.8kWh shown on the display?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad to read reviews from Volt users especially Volt owners from "down under". It just reinforces how good the Volt is and how much folks love it.

Would love to see some photo's of your trip. Australia is a spectacularly beautiful country.

#4 · (Edited)
After we travelled to Adelaide we took 'The Ghan' train through the 'Centre' to the 'Top End' where we stayed for a few days. On the way we stopped at Alice Springs, Katherine and from base in Darwin, out to Kakadu. This is during the Dry season, so not as much bird life though we saw plenty. There were heaps of 'salty's though (crocodiles).
Some photos of Katherine Gorge and Kakadu ...

And couple of short video clips while we were on the river cruise in Kakadu.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO4ur5gZTDE
* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDx1IQOy3VU

Attachments

#3 ·
... Of course EV through the towns
I'd wager that once warmed up, the ICE is efficient enough to deliver respectable numbers through the towns. I've stopped toggling between the modes unless I just don't want pedestrians to ever hear the motor running. I've had occasions that I'd forgotten to switch back until I noticed the battery meter depleted.

#5 ·
It seems the Volts down under all pull the same fuel consumption. Mine did pretty much 5.5l/100km on gas Brisbane-Sydney-Brisbane with an overall average just over 5.0. Car ran great on such a long trip approximately 2100km return but I have to say that having done this trip heaps of times, the Ford Falcon is still the master of long trips and comfort.

I think the comment re. Aussie pics with Volts is a good one - must think of doing that sometime soon, even for facebook page.

#6 ·
Nice stats Brewster,

Was in the Adelaide hills in January (Took the old Holden Commodore for the trip) lovely place, stayed at that German town down Hahndorf, great pubs and so much good food and imported beer it would be the death of you if you stayed more than a week! LOL

Great national car museum couple of towns away.

I'm still short tripping my Volt = life time 0.5L/100Km still freaks me out in a good way.. use 1.6Kw/h to get to and from work daily - do more on weekends, can feel it warmed up weather wise as I have 20Km more on EV than the heart of winter.

Interestingly I just love the handling round town and through our hilly Dandenong ranges - The Volt is incredibly tight body flex wise thanks to the battery running down the centre, makes it feel very solid and a great drive.

My old Commodore only now holds its own when travelling in straight line in OD at freeway speeds.
The Volt highlights the technology time difference between the two cars and the older ones deterioration in suspension wear etc.
So the old cars go out for long runs or if hail is pending & my Volt is the spoilt zippy city slicker and local weekend Mountain
goat ....

Cheers,
Martin

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.