GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I went for a test drive in a 2018, and I was really offput by the visibility restrictions of the car... The A pillars stood out as the worst to me, too.

I've got an 05 Cobalt at the moment, and it has pretty great visibility for a sedan... Before that, I only ever owned coups, including my Fiero and my El Camino. I loved them for their visibility.
I suspect that if you go test drive any other modern car, you'll find similar issues with visibility. New crash-safety regulations in the last few years have caused all manufacturers to use much beefier pillars all around, so visibility has gone down. This is safer in a crash, but my pet theory is that it makes accidents more likely because of poorer visibility. It's also part of the reason that systems like "blind spot monitoring" have become common... you didn't need it before, but now you do.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Fear not, auto manufacturers are developing augmented reality capabilities that will use day and night vision cameras to restore the missing field of view imposed by larger pillars.

Then again, companies such Tesla are investing in developing full self driving technology that can see 360 degrees and track and identify driving lanes, other vehicles, bicycles and pedestrians in real time. So even if you have a limited field of view the vehicle will still be able to take evasive action to avoid a collision.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Fear not, auto manufacturers are developing augmented reality capabilities that will use day and night vision cameras to restore the missing field of view imposed by larger pillars.

Then again, companies such Tesla are investing in developing full self driving technology that can see 360 degrees and track and identify driving lanes, other vehicles, bicycles and pedestrians in real time. So even if you have a limited field of view the vehicle will still be able to take evasive action to avoid a collision.
Other manufacturers are developing this as well, and it goes a step further....eliminating darkness, blinding snow, rain, fog, etc.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts