GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my way to work this morning the reduced engine message and check engine lights lit up. transmission is shot. 40k on the clock :confused:

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
on my way to work this morning the reduced engine message and check engine lights lit up. transmission is shot. 40k on the clock :confused:
Can you provide more to that? Did it get towed to a dealership we can assume. Did they tell you what DTC (trouble) codes were detected related to the check engine light and reduce propulsion message?

Sounds like it should be covered under this: Chevrolet Volt (hereafter referred to as Voltec) for 8 years or 100,000 miles

You may have to push and talk to GM through various channels or force them to.

http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty

<snip>

Electric Hybrid Warranty

Chevrolet Volt, Bolt EV and Malibu Hybrid

For vehicles sold in the United States, in addition to the Bumper-to-Bumper Coverage described previously, Chevrolet will warrant certain components for Each Chevrolet Volt, and Bolt EV, and Malibu Hybrid for 8 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 kilometers), whichever comes first, from the original in-service date of the vehicle, against warrantable repairs to the specific electric propulsion components of the vehicle.

The Voltec Warranty

In addition to the Bumper-to-Bumper Coverage, General Motors will warrant certain Voltec components for each Chevrolet Volt (hereafter referred to as Voltec) for 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first from the original in-service date of the vehicle, against warrantable repairs to the specific Voltec components of the vehicle. For complete details, refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

For Chevrolet Volt owners requiring more comprehensive coverage than that provided under this Voltec warranty, a GM Protection Plan may be available. See your Chevrolet dealer for more details.

In addition to the initial owner of the vehicle, the coverage described in this Chevrolet Volt, Bolt EV, and Malibu Hybrid warranty is transferrable at no cost to any subsequent person(s) who assumes ownership of the vehicle within the 8 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 kilometers) term. No deductibles are associated with this warranty.

What is Covered

This limited warranty covers repairs to Hybrid specific component defect related to materials or workmanship occurring during the 8 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 kilometers) term for the following:

Other Voltec Components

Other components covered by the Voltec warranty include: high-voltage wiring, Voltec control modules, e-compressor, Traction Power Inverter Module (TPIM), Accessory Power Module (APM) and Voltec on-board charger.

Brakes

In addition to the coverages above, the brake modulator assembly, as used for regenerative braking, is also covered by the 8-year/100,000-mile Voltec warranty.

Electric Hybrid/Drive Unit

Electric drive unit assembly electric motors, and all internal components, including the auxiliary fluid pump, auxiliary pump controller, electric motor, and 3-phase cables.

Towing

During the 8-year /100,000-mile Voltec warranty period, towing is covered to the nearest Chevrolet servicing dealer if your vehicle cannot be driven because of a warranted Voltec-specific defect. Contact the Chevrolet Roadside Assistance Center for towing. Refer to the Owner’s Manual for details.

Other Electric/Hybrid Components

High Voltage Wiring, Hybrid Powertrain, and Battery Control Modules, Air Compressor Control Module (Except Malibu Hybrid), Accessory DC Power Control Module, High Voltage Battery Disconnect Control Module, Drive Motor Generator Power Invertor Module, Battery Charger Control Module.

Drive Motor Battery Coverage

Propulsion Battery Limited Warranty Policy (Chevrolet Volt and Bolt EV)
Like all batteries, the amount of energy that the high voltage “propulsion” battery can store will decrease with time and miles driven. Depending on use, the battery may degrade as little as 10% to as much as 40% of capacity over the warranty period. If there are questions pertaining to battery capacity, a dealer service technician could determine if the vehicle is within parameters

If warranty repair requires replacement, the high voltage battery may be replaced with either a new or factory refurbished high voltage battery with an energy capacity (kWh storage) level at or within approximately 10% of that original battery at the time of the warranty repair. Your Electric Propulsion battery warranty replacement may not return your vehicle to an “as new” condition, but it will make your vehicles fully operations appropriate to its age and mileage.

What is Not Covered

In addition to what is not covered by the New-Vehicle Limited Warranty, there are a few additional items that are not covered by the Hybrid warranty, including wear-items such as brake linings or regular maintenance. For complete details, refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

<snip>

·
Registered
628 Posts
I too would be interested to know what codes led them to believe that the transmission has failed.

Take note: A lot of dealers are rather clueless about Volts and are known to jump to conclusions, or throw parts at them until they figure it out.

Either way, it'll be covered under the Voltec warranty.

·
Administrator
20,220 Posts
Year of car?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Sorry to hear of the problem. Anything of course can happen but the Volt's transmission is a planetary gearset which should be pretty bulletproof. You can get a reduced propulsion message for many reasons. Will be interesting to hear more.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Are you the first owner? Need more info to help. If it were me I would have offered up more info than just say my car's transmission died and no amplifying info. Odd?

·
Administrator
20,220 Posts
Let's give him a chance to respond before calling them a troll, OK?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I also have a 2014. I had the same error message @ 48,000 miles. If you have any battery left you can drive hopefully to a dealer. Once you turn the car off, it will not restart until the codes are cleared. In my case it was the (TCM) transmission control module. It was replaced along with the valve body and new fluid. It was covered under the Voltec warranty. It would have been ~$1900 repair. They had the car 1 day. I am sure given the design of the transmission that this is the problem you have. So, if it is it will be no cast to you given the great warranty on the drivetrain.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
I also have a 2014. I had the same error message @ 48,000 miles. If you have any battery left you can drive hopefully to a dealer. Once you turn the car off, it will not restart until the codes are cleared. In my case it was the (TCM) transmission control module. It was replaced along with the valve body and new fluid. It was covered under the Voltec warranty. It would have been ~$1900 repair. They had the car 1 day. I am sure given the design of the transmission that this is the problem you have. So, if it is it will be no cast to you given the great warranty on the drivetrain.
Thanks for your input. Great that worked out for you! If you have the DTC code it would be great to add it to this thread for searchability.

Let's give him a chance to respond before calling them a troll, OK?
Good response. It is easy to jump to conclusions but then I have to remember that not every "car person" and Volt owner is a strong/proficient computer user. It is not like it was a requirement to buy the car and hopefully these types of cars are more and more appealing to a wider audience. Many modern ICE cars have advanced displays and options so that is not the big factor with the Volt, IMO.

Thank you Scott for the summary of the VOLTEC warranty. Really suspicious mr Truckplay thread, another fake-news?...
You are welcome. I was just looking up the wording for my son and I. I'm taking my car in tomorrow because of battery sensor DTCs and RPP msgs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
car went into reduced engine power 1 mile from work. plugged it in to charge and it would not start back up. tcm failure, yes under warranty, i work at the dealer. damn shame, have to drive my vette until it is fixed. and by the way, it is a fairly common problem. we have 4 in there for the same failure right now including mine.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
car went into reduced engine power 1 mile from work. plugged it in to charge and it would not start back up. tcm failure, yes under warranty, i work at the dealer. damn shame, have to drive my vette until it is fixed. and by the way, it is a fairly common problem. we have 4 in there for the same failure right now including mine.
Thanks for the follow up. For others (or you) there have been a few threads on this but perhaps it is hard to search for or people are not documenting as Transmission Control Module or TCM. Having 4 seems like a lot to me.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...Control-Module-(a.k.a-valve-body)-Replacement
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?249114-Transmission-Control-Module-(TCM)-issues

·
Registered
541 Posts
I call BS! In 10 years on this board I've never seen anyone report a TCM failure. No way there are four at this guy's dealer right now.

I've been seeing a lot of questionable newbie posts in the last week or two. Complete battery failures, breakdowns, asking about battery replacement costs for "a friend." I don't know why someone would try to make the Volt look bad at this stage of the game, but it seems like a lot of trolls are putting some effort into doing just that.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
I call BS! In 10 years on this board I've never seen anyone report a TCM failure. No way there are four at this guy's dealer right now.

I've been seeing a lot of questionable newbie posts in the last week or two. Complete battery failures, breakdowns, asking about battery replacement costs for "a friend." I don't know why someone would try to make the Volt look bad at this stage of the game, but it seems like a lot of trolls are putting some effort into doing just that.
Well I did point to a couple in my previous post:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Missed that. I still say that four TCM failures at the same dealer simultaneously doesn't pass the sniff test.
It can happen, especially if it's a large dealership. When I took my Volt in for the defective chargeport, there were three other Volts there for the same exact reason. When the heater stopped working(forgot the name of the assembly that failed), there where two other Volts there for the same thing. This particular dealer is one of the largest in the area, and sold lots of Volts.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Well, if you Georgia Volt owners would stop making left turns here...you'd stop having problems...:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts