GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I plan on changing my wifes Volt tranny fluid somewhere between now (34k miles) and 40k miles. I have done some searching but not found alternatives to the 'recommended' fluid which seems to be this:

http://www.autopartsnetwork.com/w0133-1917441-auto-trans-fluid-pentosin/adelTw2l9Hcw6

Which is Pentosin tranny fluid. Does anyone know the fluid capacity of the transmission and any guidelines online for changing it?

Thanks!

Chris

·
4,881 Posts
Why would you be changing that fluid so early?!

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Owners' manual says to do it at 97,500 miles if Normal and if in the severe schedule, 45,000 miles.
However, in the same manual, it doesn't list transmission fluid in the list of fluids needed.
For something like this, I'd be taking it to the dealer probably at 60,000 miles.

Discussion from a while back:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-12870.html

·
4,881 Posts
Owners' manual says to do it at 97,500 miles if Normal and if in the severe schedule, 45,000 miles.
97,500? Haha, that seems awfully precise. I wonder why they don't just say 100,000

·
Registered
743 Posts
They are using 7500 mile increments. 97500 is number 13.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a PDF printout of a dealership parts list for a bearing replacement in a Volt. In it the dealer lists the part numbers of the fluid used to refill the tranny. Looks like they used generic GM dexron VI fluid.
It would probably be fine to use a good quality dexron VI fluid for this car, synthetic would be an obvious choice.

Incidentally for people asking why change the fluid sooner. Use google regarding the number of manufacturer complaints on 'lifetime' or 'near lifetime' transmission and diff oils. BMW/MINI/VW/AUDI the list goes on, cars and even some motorcycles too. They've all tried this 'lifetime' experiment on consumers and in almost every case there have been failures and customer complaints and the manufacturers have backed off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
the recommended fluid is dexron VI. dont substitute. dexron VI is available everywhere and is a full synthetic. im not sure of the capacity but i would assume its 4-5 quarts. i would replace the fluid just for giggles even if i didnt live in a severe service area, which i do. and i can tell you from experience that there is no ''''lifetime' fluid. i have seen plenty of high mileage cars with no service interval for the trans and the fluid is dark brown, runs like water, and smells as bad as it looks. i would rather overservice than underservice for sure. cheers, jay

·
Registered
310 Posts
In the Prius world the transaxle is considered to have lifetime fluid in it. However, many of us have changed it early and had the fluid analyzed (Blackstone) and it comes back contaminated. We now recommend having the fluid changed no later than 60k if you plan on keeping the car for a long time. Even at 30k my transaxle fluid looked rough. I plan on changing the Volt fluid early too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the Prius world the transaxle is considered to have lifetime fluid in it. However, many of us have changed it early and had the fluid analyzed (Blackstone) and it comes back contaminated. We now recommend having the fluid changed no later than 60k if you plan on keeping the car for a long time. Even at 30k my transaxle fluid looked rough. I plan on changing the Volt fluid early too.
So I changed the gearbox oil in my Mini Cooper S at the weekend. Its a 2009 with 27k miles on the clock, it has 'lifetime' gear oil supposedly.
The oil wasn't dirty but had metallic particles in it and a certain metallic sheen in the drain pan.

The car shift is smoother and requires less effort, I used synthetic redline oil to refill it.

This just confirms this long life or lifetime oil is just not applicable if you plan on keeping your car a long time. I'm planning on doing the Volt soon so around 40k miles, I'll report back my findings and try and get some pics of any stuff I find in the old transmission fluid.

·
Administrator
21,232 Posts
The Volt's transmission is different in the way it works. The dual input planetary transmission has no slipping (= less metal wear). The clutches always(?) are actuated at revolution-matched speeds. This means they should last "forever", compared to other transmissions. This would imply that the transmission fluid should also last longer as a result.

See http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-12345.html

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Volt's transmission is different in the way it works. The dual input planetary transmission has no slipping (= less metal wear). The clutches always(?) are actuated at revolution-matched speeds. This means they should last "forever", compared to other transmissions. This would imply that the transmission fluid should also last longer as a result.

See http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-12345.html
Of course it has slipping, its how gears, especially helical gears work....there is a constant slip across the the gear teeth.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/engines-equipment/gear3.htm

The mini gearbox has no clutches either, just helical type gears transmitting power. Plus the oil that lubricates a manual transmission is heavier grade than automatic dexron type fluid and can support higher film pressures, I expect a system lubricated with dexron fluid to wear at a faster rate on average.

Any gear mechanism wears its parts over time and sheds metallic contaminants, its a fact of life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts