GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Volt just rolled past 100k and I plan to change the tranny fluid myself. I found a thread by member bart_dood titled "Changed my transmission oil" with a nice description of the procedure but the pics are not viewable. I can easily spot the drain plug at the bottom of the tranny but cannot find the level plug or the fill plug. Seems pretty straightforward to do otherwise. Thanks

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
My 2013 Volt just rolled past 100k and I plan to change the tranny fluid myself. I found a thread by member bart_dood titled "Changed my transmission oil" with a nice description of the procedure but the pics are not viewable. I can easily spot the drain plug at the bottom of the tranny but cannot find the level plug or the fill plug. Seems pretty straightforward to do otherwise. Thanks
That thread seems to cover it well. Maybe you need a higher post count to see the pictures?

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that's the most detailed thread on this site for the fluid change, and I can see the pics now! Makes things much easier. Thanks for the helpful replies.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that's probably the best tutorial around, and I can now see the pics. Thank you Moderator if you adjusted that for me.
Will tackle this weekend and report back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, the procedure was very simple and it appears that the fill and drain plug locations on the 2013 are slightly different than on the 2011. If anything, they are easier to access as the level plug faces the front of the car and is very easy to access with the front end on ramps. I jacked up the rear to be as close to level as possible.

I drained exactly 6.5 quarts...more than the 5.8 qts mentioned in the tutorial. My fluid looked brand new, with 103k miles. Even the color had not darkened. I wonder if the previous owner changed it, although it was not listed in the Dealer history. The fill plug was "locked" tight as if it had not been changed. I refilled exactly 6.5 qts, ran the engine for 5 min, switched thru the gears twice and removed the level plug while the engine was still running. It drained a 1/2 quart and I decided to tighten the level plug while it was still draining. I am confused. Has it been overfilled the last 100k miles though it runs perfectly? It does need to be running with the level plug off? According to my measurements it now has 6qts. Not sure if I should continue to drain through the level plug or just leave it.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
OK, the procedure was very simple and it appears that the fill and drain plug locations on the 2013 are slightly different than on the 2011. If anything, they are easier to access as the level plug faces the front of the car and is very easy to access with the front end on ramps. I jacked up the rear to be as close to level as possible.

I drained exactly 6.5 quarts...more than the 5.8 qts mentioned in the tutorial. My fluid looked brand new, with 103k miles. Even the color had not darkened. I wonder if the previous owner changed it, although it was not listed in the Dealer history. The fill plug was "locked" tight as if it had not been changed. I refilled exactly 6.5 qts, ran the engine for 5 min, switched thru the gears twice and removed the level plug while the engine was still running. It drained a 1/2 quart and I decided to tighten the level plug while it was still draining. I am confused. Has it been overfilled the last 100k miles though it runs perfectly? It does need to be running with the level plug off? According to my measurements it now has 6qts. Not sure if I should continue to drain through the level plug or just leave it.
Doubt if yours ever got changed previously. My Gen1 drained @6qts as well when I changed mine and I just ended up putting that same amount of Valvoline DEXRON VI ATF back in w/o even cracking the level plug on the tranny. FWIW: This was @30k miles ago: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?86970-Changed-my-Transmission-oil&p=2280634#post2280634

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, 6 quarts seems to be correct as I've also found another thread stating that amount. So, although I drained an extra 1/2 quart more than I refilled, a bit strange if overfilled at the factory, but I will leave it as it was still coming out of the fill plug. Not even a hint of debris or discoloration. Won't touch this or the plugs again for another 100k miles.

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts
Please post pics, Gumart1. That's how we build a library of helpful details like the ones you took advantage of.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The original tutorial is pretty comprehensive, the only thing that could have helped was a little more orientation with the pics, so here's a pic of the transmission just under the front of the car in the center, looking up. I am pointing to the level plug, which directly faces the front of the car. In the same pic, near the back right of the tranny, is the drain plug facing down (unfortunately the attachment readjusted the pic sideways).

In the second pic, I show the oil filter on the left and the transmission on the right, with the same level plug and drain plug in plain view.

You will need a long socket extension to reach the fill plug under the hood. I also needed a breaker bar to break the plug loose.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts