GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you may recall I installed a Torklift Eco Stealth Hitch (1.25"). Well I found a nice trailer on Craigslist locally (5'x8') and I figured I would update you all with some pics as well as EV and MPG figures.

On to the pics!

As you can see the trip today was 91.3 miles with nearly 36 of that in EV mode. I took the interstate the entire way with speeds of around 65 MPH. The ICE average was roughly 36 MPG as well.

Overall the trailer performs REALLY well, and I would HIGHLY recommend getting an anti rattle device for your hitch. The trailer weighs in at around 500 lbs. One could say the trailer is "overbuilt" as it is all square tubing, and no angle iron that is commonly used on smaller trailers, but my logic was it could be used for heavier loads (with a different vehicle of course) if need be. A lighter trailer (300lbs) would be an even better fit with this car as it would likely increase EV/ICE mileage.

I will be making a "how to" for the tail light wiring harness as well, stay tuned!

And before anyone says "Your warranty is void" please look into the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Consumers of aftermarket products are protected by the Federal Magnusson - Moss Warranty Act. The Act states that if something breaks on your vehicle and you take it in for warranty repair, the dealer must honor your warranty unless whatever modifications you have added to your vehicle actually caused the problem in question.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet! Any close up pics of the hitch? Some naysayers claim
You will grind that thing on every bump. Problems?
If you can drag the hitch, you have have a bigger problem lol, there is no dragging this I will get some pics up.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would this trailer work with two small sail boats?
As long as the tongue weight is not super heavy, it might catch some wind though... That trailer looks fairly light, if it were me I would lol

·
Registered
622 Posts
I assume you had the electrical hookup done on your hitch, too? Did you do it yourself or have it done? How easy is the electrical hookup? Or if you had it done, how much more did it cost you?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
And before anyone says "Your warranty is void" please look into the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Consumers of aftermarket products are protected by the Federal Magnusson - Moss Warranty Act. The Act states that if something breaks on your vehicle and you take it in for warranty repair, the dealer must honor your warranty unless whatever modifications you have added to your vehicle actually caused the problem in question.
You should perhaps get your lawyer to explain the Magnuson Moss Act and the terms of your limited warranty for you. A trailer is not an aftermarket part that MMA actually appies to and GM specifically advises in their owners manual and warranty policies for the Volt that it is NOT designed for towing of any sort.
Volt Owner's Manual said:
"The vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer or another vehicle"
Should something in the EV powertrain fail and it is determined that it could have been due to towing or exceeding payload capacity they absolutely can deny you warranty coverage.
WopOnTour

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should perhaps get your lawyer to explain the Magnuson Moss Act and the terms of your limited warranty for you. A trailer is not an aftermarket part that MMA actually appies to and GM specifically advises in their owners manual and warranty policies for the Volt that it is NOT designed for towing of any sort.

Should something in the powertrain fail and it is determined that it could have been due to being over payload capacity do to towing they absolutely can deny you warranty coverage.

WopOnTour
This goes directly back to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. "Should something in the powertrain fail and it is DETERMINED that it could have been due to being over payload capacity due to towing they absolutely can deny you warranty coverage"

If it is determined that towing caused the issue, then yes a warranty would be void, however, a manufacturer can't just void your vehicles warranty because you have a hitch on there. The failure would have to be caused BY the towing to have the warranty voided.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
This goes directly back to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. "Should something in the powertrain fail and it is DETERMINED that it could have been due to being over payload capacity due to towing they absolutely can deny you warranty coverage"

If it is determined that towing caused the issue, then yes a warranty would be void, however, a manufacturer can't just void your vehicles warranty because you have a hitch on there. The failure would have to be caused BY the towing to have the warranty voided.
MMA does not even apply when you use or operate your vehicle in contradiction to your owner's manual (a condition of your warranty)
So good luck with that.

WOT

·
Registered
622 Posts

I guess the question is who gets to make the determination? If the manufacturer gets to make the determination, then all they had to do is see the hitch and the trailer wiring and ask if you tow a trailer. If you say yes, they can simply "determine" that the towing of the trailer messed up the transmission (even if it didn't).

So the question here is whether the mfg has to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt or not? If yes, then it's going to be hard to prove without a re-enactment and reproducing the problem. But if not, and the mfg is allowed to infer a possible/probable causal effect only to justify their determination, and it's their prerogative to "determine", then you're out of luck.

·
Registered
622 Posts

Should something in the EV powertrain fail and it is determined that it could have been due to towing or exceeding payload capacity they absolutely can deny you warranty coverage.
WopOnTour
Would installing a hitch to carry bike racks be OK or not?

I don't think the Volt said anything about that, does it?

Can the mfg see the hitch, even without any electrical wiring for trailering light, assume that a hitch (even just for bike racks) implies a possibility of towing, and void your warranty right off the bat?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
How's the performance after the battery is depleted? Have done any hill climbing with mountain mode?

Any chance to get GM to allow towing?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I see you are at Ikea in Tampa. I like the trailer.

I think I passed you the other day on the Veteran's Expressway (or you passed me). I saw the grey Volt and I was like who's that? There are a numebr in Tampa, I see other Volts all the time now.

Jason

·
Registered
23 Posts
Someday I'm going to write an article on the Magnusen-Moss warranty act. I've seen it quoted far too often here as a support for taking the Volt outside its designed operation. Sorry guys, Magnusen-Moss will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for you in a court of law, if you can even get the process that far. Take *** at his word, he knows what he's talking about.

In the owners manual, we are instructed not to tow. In a court of law, GM can argue that they did tow testing and found that it could prematurely damage Powertrain, brake, or suspension components and therefore advised against it in the owners manual. GM could even have performed crash testing and determined that the rear structure of the car would not properly support the hitch weight. A judge will be forced to side with them because GM can clearly demonstrate why towing is not recommended with the Volt, and why it therefore violates the warranty policy.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be afraid of towing with an aluminum trailer with <500 lbs total payload.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Very interesting... Nice pics and it is possible to tow with a Volt after all :cool:

Here is my guess why GM don't want you towing with a trailer...
Eg. Steep hills to climb up / down put a lot of heat in to the transmission (remember it has to work double hard as it's the one also doing double duty when braking /regen on the way down).

Possible GM reasons not to::confused:
* Cooling system for drive unit is not sized large enough.
* Transmission load exceeded.
* Computer systems unable to calculate properly with extra unknown attached load.

Possible user conditions - Volt can tow ...;)
* Towing in a non hilly flat area, the trailer is a reasonable weight with a normal driving style and it's not a blistering hot day.

Guess GM don't trust customers to tow correctly - so they went out of there way to make it as difficult as possible LOL!:p

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I would have to agree that GM would have a hard time voiding your warranty over a trailer hitch. First off, they would have to prove you actually towed something with it. Second, towing a small trailer puts essentially the same stress on your drive train as driving up a very steep hill.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is an old argument. Go to a Jeep Wrangle forum and read about warranties and lift kits. A tow hitch is a none issue. Just say its for bicycles vs saying oh I tow my quads. Bam and done!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I was told by my Volt tech that they put that big backup light down in that position just so nobody would install a hitch! Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Someday I'm going to write an article on the Magnusen-Moss warranty act. I've seen it quoted far too often here as a support for taking the Volt outside its designed operation. Sorry guys, Magnusen-Moss will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for you in a court of law, if you can even get the process that far. Take *** at his word, he knows what he's talking about.

In the owners manual, we are instructed not to tow. In a court of law, GM can argue that they did tow testing and found that it could prematurely damage Powertrain, brake, or suspension components and therefore advised against it in the owners manual. GM could even have performed crash testing and determined that the rear structure of the car would not properly support the hitch weight. A judge will be forced to side with them because GM can clearly demonstrate why towing is not recommended with the Volt, and why it therefore violates the warranty policy.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be afraid of towing with an aluminum trailer with <500 lbs total payload.
Same! I'm using my utility trailer to carry 2 kayaks and maybe some bulky (light) items and I'm not taxing the car any more than a heavy friend in the back seat. Out of warranty anyway

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
How's the performance after the battery is depleted? Have done any hill climbing with mountain mode?

Any chance to get GM to allow towing?
Unlikely. It's not so much a matter of the drivetrain being capable but the body structure not designed to accommodate the sort of loads imposed during towing. At least one forum member had to do welding repair/reinforcement on his car. If the load is light enough, likely won't have a problem. Just keep in mind that GM says no towing so I wouldn't expect them to be sympathetic if there is a problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts