GM Volt Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Towing an ALiner with a Volt

I have installed a hitch http://torkliftcentral.com/2011-2014-chevy-volt-ecohitch-invisi and it appears to work well. I have pulled our ALiner pop-up (1600lbs dry & about 1900 loaded) 250 miles now. When towing I have been putting into mountain mode as I think that would be needed for long up hill pulls. But the Volt does great with it. It feels more like our older Prius when we are pulling the trailer. Not fast but definitely acceptable. I am not recommending this as I only have 250 miles under my belt and expect your range/mileage to be cut in half. Not quite sure how to attach pictures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dr. Volt: you bought the Torklift Invisi for your 2015 Volt? Any problems with fit?
I tried to order one but they tell me it is not compatible with 2015! I have no idea why not.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lolllll seriously! You got balls man to two 1900lbs no brake controller on a Chevy volt which is state that the car can't tow...and 250miles!! I mean... Im worried about towing 600lbs...

Envoyé de mon SM-G920W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hoping that you will give us a progress report after you have done some more towing. I just purchased a 2017 Volt and the dealer is putting on a hitch (they think it's for a bike rack, but I plan to try towing a small ultility trailer so that I can take short trips to the dump with maybe 4 garbage cans.....or maybe a few trips with my 2 paddleboards and 2 kayaks on the trailer.....not much of a load in my opinion). The dealer would NOT hook up trailer lights for me and I didn't push them. I know there are light wiring kits out there for the Volt, but I'm not sure tapping into the wiring is a very good idea. I may just keep a small motorcycle battery in the back and just hook up the running lights so that it at least LOOKS like I have lights :).......

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hoping that you will give us a progress report after you have done some more towing. I just purchased a 2017 Volt and the dealer is putting on a hitch (they think it's for a bike rack, but I plan to try towing a small ultility trailer so that I can take short trips to the dump with maybe 4 garbage cans.....or maybe a few trips with my 2 paddleboards and 2 kayaks on the trailer.....not much of a load in my opinion). The dealer would NOT hook up trailer lights for me and I didn't push them. I know there are light wiring kits out there for the Volt, but I'm not sure tapping into the wiring is a very good idea. I may just keep a small motorcycle battery in the back and just hook up the running lights so that it at least LOOKS like I have lights :).......
Look up the voltruk thread for towing ideas.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thanks for the link....that Voltruk thread was very encouraging in that it makes me feel that the Volt is up to the task of pulling a small utility trailer with a light load without doing harm. Lack of a factory installed light kit is unfortunate as I would not be comfortable having "dig" into my Volt's wiring to rig for trailering. I'll probably use a separate small battery to run the trailer's running lights independent of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Thanks for the link....that Voltruk thread was very encouraging in that it makes me feel that the Volt is up to the task of pulling a small utility trailer with a light load without doing harm. Lack of a factory installed light kit is unfortunate as I would not be comfortable having "dig" into my Volt's wiring to rig for trailering. I'll probably use a separate small battery to run the trailer's running lights independent of the vehicle.
If you don't have the subwoofer the plugnplay light kit that I used in the Voltruk thread is pretty easy to install, once you figure you have to cut the grommet, per the instructions.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I am thinking about installing a trailer hitch on our 2016 Volt for a lightweight trailer and small boat with a 10 HP motor. I believe the total weight would be near 1,000 lbs or so. Our Volt has more than enough power to tow it and with the regen system no problem in stopping.

·
Registered
43 Posts
General rule of thumb in BC

50% trailer weight or more of vehicle weight requires separate braking source
weight of volt with 2 occupants is about 3900 pounds thus 50% would be a tow weight of about 1950 pounds

Second rule, is tow weight is limited to 1 pound per cc, thus tow weight of vehicle would be limited to about 1500 pounds for a 101 hp engine, however volt has aux. motor for 149 hp thus total permitted weight would be approx. 2200 pounds based on engine.

So although it might seem reasonable the 1900 pound weight would be allowed in BC.

Third and most important rule is that GM, in manual states no towing whatsoever, thus any problem with drivetrain what so ever could and possibly would be denied if they found evidence of an installed hitch.

I guess we all make our own personal decisions, it's just that some might make you pay for them later.

just my .02 cents worth.

Lolllll seriously! You got balls man to two 1900lbs no brake controller on a Chevy volt which is state that the car can't tow...and 250miles!! I mean... Im worried about towing 600lbs...

Envoyé de mon SM-G920W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
669 Posts
I agree that it is a risk regarding loss of warranty. It's a shame they couldn't offer a legitimate factory tow option, even if it meant a modified (shortened) powerytrain warranty. I would gladly accept the reduced warranty.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I thought it was pointed out in another thread that there's a law that for your warranty claim to be denied it has to be proven that the owner's modification was the reason for the failure.

Personally, I've driven numerous small vehicles all with tow hitches, and the Volt is at least on par with them. It seems to be heavier and have a lower COG, and good torque, all of which are good for towing. The frame connection for the hitch is about as good as it gets. Brakes are good. Power is good. I don't see any additional risk in towing than in any other small vehicle.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Toyota has the same (no towing or hitch carrier) statement in the Prius Owners Manual too. I think the assumption is that anybody buying highly fuel efficient vehicle, is not looking for a truck. 97% of my annual driving does not require towing. But I do need the ability tow a trailer every couple weeks during mowing season or hauling large objects from Home Depot. I'm at 240k and still going strong. Not worried about Warranty either. I just drove 289 miles yesterday averaging 50.1 mpg on my Gen 2. I did have a tailwind through. I typically I average 45-46 in warm whether No without AC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you don't have the subwoofer the plugnplay light kit that I used in the Voltruk thread is pretty easy to install, once you figure you have to cut the grommet, per the instructions.
What is this grommet cutting for? Is this to get the wiring from the inside of the trunk down to the outside? I'd prefer to keep the harness inside and then extend the trailer plug up under the trunk lid when I use it. (assuming that doesn't crush the harness wiring).

·
Registered
625 Posts
On Gen 2 there are pass thru grommets behind the taillight assemblies. The T-branch connection is between the taillight housing and quarter panel.

There shouldn't be any other grommets. The trailer connector is meant to be stowed inside under the storage cover then pulled out and draped out of the hatch when needed.

Gen 1 cars use a different method no grommets to deal with.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. I am buying a small utility trailer from a Chev Dealer in Fife (Jet Chevrolet) and they are going to install the Curt wiring harness for me (I hope). Glad to hear it is meant to be stored INSIDE the vehicle rather than just "hanging" somewhere outside collecting dirt and grime.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. I am buying a small utility trailer from a Chev Dealer in Fife (Jet Chevrolet) and they are going to install the Curt wiring harness for me (I hope). Glad to hear it is meant to be stored INSIDE the vehicle rather than just "hanging" somewhere outside collecting dirt and grime.
Which GEN do you have?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have a 2017 Gen 2 Volt Premier. Hats off to Jet Chevrolet in Fife, WA. They did a very nice job installing the Curt wiring harness (and at a very reasonable price) and I now have a nice lightweight aluminum trailer setup to transport my kayaks and standup paddleboards. So far I am extremely pleased with my Volt. It seems perfectly capable of handling lightweight towing and makes the vehicle just that much more practical for a variety of uses. I don't understand why Chev doesn't just offer a tow package (with reasonable restrictions). It just adds more capability and would attract even more attention and expand the market for this very well engineered vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
6,391 Posts
My son and I installed the 2011-2015 Chevy Volt EcoHitch Stealth purchased from Torklift Central on his 2013 Volt last week. We put the back tires up on ramps and that worked great. His frame had 2 welded nuts in the frame on one side. We used those plus one of the bigger bolts. On the other side we just used the two bigger bolts. A little tricky to fish the washer plate (rectangle ~3/4"x2") into the frame with the locking wash plus the bolt.

We pulled this 5'x10' trailer on pretty flat ground for about 13 miles each way to a Lowes for lumber (garage shelves/benches). He drove cautiously and only 55 mph tops. It pulled easy and he used L-regen for gentle braking.

We did use the Curt wiring and installation technique mentioned here and it worked excellent.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?40161-HOW-TO-Trailer-wiring-harness&highlight=Hitch

2011-2015 Chevy Volt EcoHitch Stealth
https://torkliftcentral.com/2011-2015-chevy-volt-ecohitch-stealth

The above is the echhitch and it seemed to be much better built than the etrailer Curt one here:
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Chevrolet/Volt/2013/C11221.html?vehicleid=2013308193

Aside: I pulled the trailer down to him with my Tesla X. It made it easy between Superchargers.

Aside2: None of the superchargers were busy so I pulled in long ways and just ate at my car in case I needed to move /unhitch for others.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
41 - 60 of 65 Posts