GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nobody at GM or the dealer knows what's going on on this one.
When I purchased my Volt, for about 2 weeks, when I was going into a traffic jam, a voice told me so like "traffic jam 400m away for 4 km". IMPORTANT : I was not using the GPS. I found that feature really nice. At that time, I also had the 5-day meteo screen in the Info button if I remember correctly but it can be somewhere else.

So after that 2 weeks, those 2 things went away. I still have my GPS working but if there's traffic, the GPS do not announce traffic jam neither.

My dealer did reset the GPS last week but still no change. I called a GM guy via OnStar and he promised to follow-up but he wasn't sure if there was a problem after all. But guys, I'm not crazy I had that female announcement without using the GPS and the meteo screen. I talked to the guys at XM Radio and they are scratching their head.

I have to go to the dealer on friday (2 days) and I'm afraid that they will scratch their head again. Anybody have a hint on what it can be ?

Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well, the traffic for sure (and probably the weather) are part of your XM Radio subscription. Do you still get XM radio? Can you check your account and make sure you still have the Traffic package?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I agree with Cheezmo, GPS and Traffic Advisory are two different animals, the problem is most likely with your XM Radio packet..I would check their first. You may not have the trial XM subscription...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the traffic for sure (and probably the weather) are part of your XM Radio subscription. Do you still get XM radio? Can you check your account and make sure you still have the Traffic package?
Wow ! You found the answer within few minutes while those guys at GM office and the dealer are still searching for an answer.

Instead of explaining my problem to the XM salesrep who called me, I called the support number and they actually found that the Traffic package was not there and he couldn't tell my why. (I'm on trial, maybe it's programmed like that).

Anyway, for the benefit of other with this problem, I had to give them the XM radio code found on channel 0, and he asked me to get the car out in clear sky view for the satellite. I had to do that within 30 minutes and leave the car out in that position for 20 minutes.

One thing which is really not clear, he asked me to get to the navigation screen which was not the gps. I asked him which channel and was still repeating nav screen. So I tried channel 1 and if not working out then I'll try the nav screen of the gps. Anyway, I'll post the update for future reference.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Jack they may have been referring to the Nav screen located on your instrument cluster below the MPH reading...you can dial the Nav screen by turning the select knob located on the lower left side of your dashboard, this will change the dials to tire pressure, tutorials, Nav screen etc....

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
XM added 3 months to many new volts trial service - doing this may have reactivated some accounts- Sorry I did not really read all the information in the email- The Weather outlook ( INFO button) was the only date I even look at - I had no interest in the radio options.

Today was the day it actually ended - So 9 months total.

·
Registered
313 Posts
There were some issues in the provisioning system that XM uses when I got my Volt. They were unable to provision traffic and weather and had to raise a help desk ticket.

Anyway that was resolved and I use traffic and weather more than you would think. One feature I really like with weather is that it will tell you any watch and warning as well as show current weather along a planned trip. This was great on my recent trip to Tampa and the tropical storm that was coming in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
gee. I wish the audio traffic alerts would go away. they are annoying and slow and stop the music/news. A pop up advisory would be sufficient.

·
1,101 Posts
Is there any way to just get weather and traffic without having a full subscription to XM?

My 9 month trial ended two days ago.

The constant repeat of the same music I can do without, but I actually liked the weather and traffic alerts.

I was also kind of surprised that XM let it expire without calling me to try to get me to pay for a subscription.

C-5277

·
Registered
200 Posts
Is there any way to just get weather and traffic without having a full subscription to XM?
Yes, you can call them and set up just the traffic and info service for $4 a month or $46 for a year. I just did this last week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE
Ok, I went to the dealer for a defective driver-door latch and they took a look at the XM problem. This week, 2 times, I called XM support line and they reinitialized the radio. Channel 1 and Nav screen (it was the GPS screen) AND the car should be running for at least 15-20 minutes on a clear sky view for the antenna. I got back the Navtraffic but not the Meteo. The second call, I thumbled on a women telling me that I should be on the island of Montreal in order to make the update work ! I'm at 10 Km from downtown on the southshore... Well, let's say I kind of jump out of my shoes.

Anyway, The dealer talked to XM for 30 minutes and they tried the sequence again with the same result. There's something wrong in the car XM told them.

So I have to go to the dealer this week and leave the car for a whole day in order for them to try some advanced diagnostics

I agree with mhoepfin, having those weather alerts and conditions along the way with navtraffic giving you road problems like traffic and construction zone (and we have a lot of them here in the Montreal region, it's like a war zone), is the added value I'm prepared to cashout to XM.

·
Registered
16 Posts

My 9 month trial ended two days ago.

The constant repeat of the same music I can do without, but I actually liked the weather and traffic alerts.

I was also kind of surprised that XM let it expire without calling me to try to get me to pay for a subscription.

C-5277
Just for the database.

Yes. You can select traffic only. I re-upped earlier this year. In addition, I'm now on my 3rd Volt, they gave me an additional 8 months and credited my account for the unused traffic months.

If you wait long enough, they will call you but you need to have your contact info filled out in your online account prior to expiration. Be sure to change the name as the trial period is in the dealers name.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you don't have XM premium (I just have the standard 156channel package), you can still get weather and traffic. Just press the onstar button that looks like a phone and say "Traffic" or "Weather". You get a very useful rundown of crashes first, followed by construction and lane closures that include the time reported and the expected time to clear. And then a 5 day weather forecast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts