GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Prius back in 2006, it seemed like a space ship. It wasn't the fastest car, but it was cool to me. It got about 50 mpg, and that was amazing. I got the safety add ons (side curtain airbags, back up cam, stability control), and I was really happy. I loved that car, and never thought about replacing it... until I drove the Volt.

I bought it the same day! It is so quiet, so fun to drive, safer by far with all the new gadgets/sensors. With my 20 mile round trip each day, I will never use gas unless on a trip... and I still can take it to see my folks without worrying about chargers. Such an awesome car!

It's been two weeks, and I can't be happier with my impulse buy. I still can't believe I am getting $10k back from taxes and MA rebate.

I do have a couple of questions:
How much will my range drop in Winter? With my all local roads driving, I am getting 68 miles per charge right now. How much of that is that it is warm out?

How long will the EVSE last? Should I get a back up? I was going to get a 240v one until I read that the one that comes with the car can be used with a custom pigtail on the Gen 2s stock EVSE to charge at 240v.

Anyway, love the car, and this forum has been very helpful so far.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Congrats on the car. It does give you a nice quiet and smooth ride and, like all electrics, it's quick off the line. You likely won't miss having to go to the gas station as often either.

Cold weather kills range. If you have the heated seats that will help a lot. They use just a fraction of the energy the heater uses. The life of an EVSE is hard to predict. Some fail pretty quickly. I've had one since 2011 and, though it has a reputation for dying early, it's still "plugging away".

·
Registered
902 Posts
I traded my 2007 Prius after 83,000 miles for a 2013 Volt. I also only have a 20-mile commute daily for work and errands. My lifetime average today is 169 MPG. However, I am taking a long trip in July, so the efficiency will take a big hit.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Congrats on the car -- I should be taking delivery of my 2017 this week, it's my first foray into the world of electric cars. Will be trading in my Kia Rio with 70K miles on the clock. Power NOTHING on that car, crank windows, manual everything, so the Volt will feel like a space ship to me :)

I have a 70 mile round trip commute for work, but it will be nice getting 50 to 70 miles on a charge depending on how I drive, Texas here so won't have to deal with the cold THAT much, hell it's supposed to kiss 100F here later in the week here.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Welcome to the Volt world. You will continue to love your car and the rash decision to purchase more as time passes. Your evse should last a very long time as it is made by Clipper Creek, who enjoy a very well deserved good reputation. We had a bad evse from day one in our 2011, but the replacement is still fine while not used that much after we bought a CC. Enjoy

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I find the gas only mpg not that bad in our 2014 Volt. My wife and I took a trip to Cabelas in Tualatin Oregon yesterday. Round trip after about 170 miles was 43.5 mpg just on gas and 32 on electric, combined, 53.8 mpg.

Still had 10 miles left on electric when we got home. Thats on
87 regular Costco gas at that. If we took our 2010 Prius on the same trip our mpg just on gas would have been 53-55 mpg.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Congratulations!

For cold weather range it will depend on how hard you run the main heater. For those days where you need to run defrost hard and the weather is really bad you might see ranges as low as 40 miles EV.

The Volt does have gas engine assisted heating. This will run the gas engine to help make heat in cooler weather. The default setting is for 36F. However there is a setting that can "defer" this to 15F in your configuration menu.

As some others have pointed out if your car is equipped the heated seats and steering wheel use very little energy and if it works for you can go a long ways to keeping you comfortable while keeping the main heater low or even off on many days.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Another former Prius Owner, here. I just sold my 2006 Prius with 230,000km (140K Miles) privately and bought at 2017 Volt. Along with our 2012 Nissan Leaf, we should not be stopping at a gas station more than twice a year (excluding the odd bathroom break), and (hopefully) will get away with well under 40L (10 gallons) per annum.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Congratulations! I like the Prius', but the Volt is so much better. Acceleration, appearance and in-town efficiency are much better in the Volt.

As others have said, the heated-seats will really help the winter efficiency. Also, keep your Volt plugged in as often as you can. Not just to charge it up but to keep the battery conditioner running. The Volt will try to keep the battery temperature to maintain life.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the advice!

So do many people get a second EVSE?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Congrats on your new Volt. I also replaced a Prius for the Volt. The gas mileage of both vehicles is about the same - approx 43 mpg - so no loss there. However, most of my driving so far (>90%) is in EV mode, so big gain with the Volt. The Prius was 13 years old when I replaced it, and it had no maintenance issues the whole time. But the Volt certainly has many options that was not available in the Prius at that time.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
You really don't need a second EVSE unless you want to keep the OEM EVSE in the car and have one installed in your garage. So don't over think that.

COLD weather will cause your AER to drop considerably, example on the coldest day I drove my 2013 Volt (-16F) my AER dropped to 26 miles, but that was assisted by the ICE coming on to keep the coolant temp hot so it could help provide cabin heat. If the Volt was 100% electric I bet my range would have dropped from the EPA 38 to about 22-24 miles.

Most of us learn to run cooler cabin temps in the winter, especially if it's sunny, with the heated seats and now steering wheel you can really reduce how much cabin heat is needed to keep you comfortable. But don't FREEZE for the sake of adding a few more miles of all electric driving.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I bought a Clipper Creek LCS20 L2 EVSE and had it installed in the garage. I keep the EVSE that came with the car (a Gen 1) in the car. I would say 99.99% of the time I never use an EVSE away from home. So maybe I could have just wall-mounted the stock EVSE in the garage but then I wouldn't get the benefit of faster L2 charging.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice!

So do many people get a second EVSE?
Just so you know: The "Level 1" EVSE that comes with the 2nd gen is actually fully capable of charging at Level 2 speeds (240V @ 13A) with zero modification, all you need is a 240V circuit (dryer for example) or run a dedicated one. All you need to do is make or buy an adapter plug.

Personally I plan on mounting my EVSE in a semi-permanent position on a dedicated 240V circuit, I won't really be charging any other place than home, if I can charge at work it's because they will be putting in a charging unit (I got them turned onto the idea)

·
Registered
260 Posts
There's no reason to buy a second EVSE to be backup if your primary fails, and that's because worst-case scenario is you wait for your single one to fail, and then run on gasoline until you get your replacement. That way you're getting the latest technology EVSE, AND only spending money that you have to spend.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I saw the posts about running stock EVSE @240 with adapter. I may do that if I run 240 to the garage. So far haven't had any trouble fully recharging overnight. I also never take my EVSE off the wall. I was more thinking maybe I would want a mobile one in the car, and as a backup. But I guess I don't really need it.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I traded in a PiP for the Volt on the spur of the moment and am still happy with my decision.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I saw the posts about running stock EVSE @240 with adapter. I may do that if I run 240 to the garage. So far haven't had any trouble fully recharging overnight. I also never take my EVSE off the wall. I was more thinking maybe I would want a mobile one in the car, and as a backup. But I guess I don't really need it.
Two other benefits of 240V charging with the stock EVSE via a plug adapter:

1) higher charge efficiency... it's not much but every little bit helps right?
2) You can pre-condition your cabin remotely if you are plugged into 240V, on cold days get everything nice and toasty with the heater but still leave with a full charge :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So do I have to set engine assist when plugged in to "off" for that?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts