GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After trying 3 different dealerships--and getting the run-around at several others--put a deposit down tonight on a '17.

Here are the numbers:

MSRP: 40,550

Asking: 36,407

FINAL: 34,000 (+$300 doc fee and sales tax)

Also had some goodwill money from GM + a private offer (for the down payment, not included in the final price).

All-in-all, a fair deal, as I had a special situation trading my Gen 1. I would have kept my Gen 1 forever if I could have, but was in an accident last year and didn't feel good keeping it long term (paint issues + others always seem to crop up). They gave me KBB at "very good" on trade-in which is great for a car with an accident history on carfax.

The car was a "show car" (understandably so, it's beautiful) but was put in service so 6 months already on the warranty clock. However, it only had 250 miles on it so it wasn't used as a demo.

I was disappointed with the selection of Volts (unless you want black, gray, or white + black interior) and drove a couple hours for the car. I wanted Siren Red as it is one of the best red colors I've seen and it really pops with the brandy interior. This was the only Red/Brandy I could find within 300 miles, so glad I could scoop it up.

I will say that overall, I was surprised how little the dealerships were willing to move on price with the 18s coming out. I basically stole my Gen 1 during the same model year changeover a few years ago. This time, one local dealership offered me the SAME 34k deal above for a '17 LT (despite '18s sitting on their lot) with only cloth seats + comfort. I couldn't get them to budge. Getting a Premier for the same price was a no-brainer.

For those looking, the best firm deal in writing I came across for an LT with cloth/comfort was 28K--but the dealership itself was cagey so I walked out. I also got offered 35K on a black/black premier but it was basically a "base" premier with no safety packages.

Could I have gotten a better deal? Maybe--but not on a Red/Brandy. There just aren't any around me.

This one has driver confidence I + II, illuminated charge port, and all the other goodies except ACC. I know a lot of people like ACC but since I've never had it I won't miss it--and will love the range even more.

I'll post some driving impressions after they deliver the car in a couple days (we finished the deal after closing time and the service department was closed to prep the car make sure all updates are completed, etc.).

Thanks to everyone on the board for helping me out as I waded through some of the Gen 2 options.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Congrats on your new Volt. When I purchased my 2016 Volt. Don't think I got the best deal, but was anxious for the wheels. Used the Costco Auto Plan and the GM discount - others did better. However, I can't change what happened so I just drive and enjoy the Volt. I am sure you will enjoy the drive and not dwell on the amount you paid.

·
Registered
806 Posts
You got a good deal. When I bought my '17 Siren Red Premier (end of April '16), I paid about $41k final (MSRP was over $43k) before down payment/state rebate/fed tax credit, etc...

Enjoy and yes - the red is stunningly beautiful.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Sounds like a decent deal to me. I hope to upgrade in 2018 unless another model comes out other than the BOLT i am intersted in. I want GM to put another body snapped on to the BOLT. Had a Vibe and the BOLT reminds me too much of it though a great car They need to speed up the releases now not when I am too old to care anymore!

·
Registered
224 Posts
all the other goodies except ACC. I know a lot of people like ACC but since I've never had it I won't miss it
Yup, one of those things you have to experience to see how beneficial it is; especially in a heavy traffic urban area like NJ. Huge neg for the Bolt that it's not even available even as an option.

·
Registered
91 Posts
After trying 3 different dealerships--and getting the run-around at several others--put a deposit down tonight on a '17.
The car was a "show car" (understandably so, it's beautiful) but was put in service so 6 months already on the warranty clock. However, it only had 250 miles on it so it wasn't used as a demo.
Congrats on your new Volt! When you say it was "put in service so 6 months already on the warranty clock" do you mean it had been titled already? If so, would that mean you can't claim the $7,500 federal tax credit? If it hadn't been titled would the warranty clock start?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for this post. I'm contemplating trading in my 2011 prius and gong Volt. Deciding on gong new or used 2013. These numbers are helpful. I'm looking forward to other's comments!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on your new Volt! When you say it was "put in service so 6 months already on the warranty clock" do you mean it had been titled already? If so, would that mean you can't claim the $7,500 federal tax credit? If it hadn't been titled would the warranty clock start?
It was basically a lesser form of "dealer demo" -- so they showed the car at county fairs and other public events but never loaned it out or drove it regularly (it was a "show" car--which is kind of cool). This means it is still "new" and never titled (just like if you buy a demo). I'm still waiting to get my eyeballs on the Certificate of Origin (you should always ask to see that) and will cancel the deal if they can't produce (I have a refundable deposit on the deal now).

Good question though--and the right one to always ask any dealer before signing on the dotted line for a Volt. I didn't need to include the CO on my tax form when I applied for the 7,500 on my Gen1, but it's one of those things you need to keep on file in case of an IRS audit.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My 2016 I purchased last year was the same deal as yours, but they sold it as a CPO car. This extended the warranty past what the original warranty would have been, and the car was marked down from around 41,000 MSRP to 30,500. It has been a year, so I don't remember the exact numbers, but my thread is on here somewhere. It had 132 miles on it and yes, it was eligible for the 7,500 tax rebate.

I was told that because they activated the warranty by GM policy they could not sell the car as a "new" car and had to sell it as a CPO even though it had never been titled.

Keith

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is weird to sell a "Certified Pre Owned" vehicle as a "new" vehicle eligible for a tax credit. Hey, if you got the tax credit and an extended warranty on top of it, great deal! Did you get the CO, too?

I asked the dealer about it today and they confirmed that they have the CO and it has never been titled, making it eligible. I'll see it in person tomorrow when I sign on the dotted line...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
It is weird to sell a "Certified Pre Owned" vehicle as a "new" vehicle eligible for a tax credit. Hey, if you got the tax credit and an extended warranty on top of it, great deal! Did you get the CO, too?

I asked the dealer about it today and they confirmed that they have the CO and it has never been titled, making it eligible. I'll see it in person tomorrow when I sign on the dotted line...
My sale was done via the internet, and phone with paperwork fedexed back and forth. I had them send me a picture of the CO before I signed the paperwork on the car, it had never been titled.

Keith

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
We purchased our new 2016 Volt Premier Jul 2016. We traded in my wife's car, 2014 Volt. The 2016 had 20% off plus the dealer had another $3,000 off for a total of $11,000 off MSRP. The final price came in at around $29,000, and we qualify for the $7,500 Tax Credit which bought the price down with the tax credit to less than $22,000. We also have a 2010 Prius, my car, of course my wife drives her 2016 Volt, and I have had the chance to compare the two. The Prius is not as smooth or comfortable has the Volt. The Volt has more power and lately has been averaging in the high 40's to over 50 mpg just on gas, regular gas at that.

Electric range varies now in early fall to about 60 miles per charge. For those who own a Prius and are thinking about getting a Volt, a 2016 - 2018 model, I would say if you can get a good deal and qualify for the Fed. Tax Credit go for it.

To give you an idea on how efficient the Volt can be yesterday my wife and I went to Cabelas in Tualatin Oregon which is just south of Portland Oregon. Trip was via highway 26, which there are three mountain passes for a total of 6 round trip with the highest elevation being 1642 feet. We live at sea level.

Total trip 169 miles, electric 58.8 miles with 14.1 KWH used, 110 miles on gas, 2.15 gal's used/ MPG has stated by car computer, 51.5 mpg. Estimated trip for the Prius would have been 3.25 gal's, 52 mpg est. gas at $2.69 / gal = $8.74 (total trip).

Volt: 2.15 gal's @ $2.69 ($5.78) + $1.80 (for electric 16 KWH which includes charging losses) =$7.58 (total trip).

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
The brandy interior is the only way to go, and I'm not sure why they don't offer it with other exterior colors. The black interior is just too drab for a small car.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took Delivery! First Day Impressions!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Executive car
Here's the new Volt!

I had a 120+ mile trip back from the dealership, a good chance to get a sense of the car. The result? 40mpg on gas and 48 miles EV, which was pretty good given that most of the trip was 70+ MPH and I kept up with traffic. The dealership also had the tires inflated only to 36, so inflating them a touch more will help. These numbers will no doubt improve.

It was odd to go right from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2 and suddenly feel like I never drove a Volt before. Crazy! It's mostly with the monitoring of energy and climate and other information. I'll figure it out, although I'm still unclear on how to get a better sense of real-time climate energy usage, since I relied on the % in Gen 1 to find the best balance of usage + comfort (I usually tried to stay below 30%).

LOVE the paddle. Very useful--I felt this would be the one upgrade I needed from GEN 1 for the stop-and-go traffic around here. However, I do miss the Gen 1 pedestrian horn "gurgle" as I actually used that for a lot of situations.

Safety packages? BIG plus. Very happy I went with DC I & II -- blind spot monitoring is better than the 5-series BMW I drove for a bit a few weeks ago. Also, collision alert picked up a sudden stop 3 cars in front of me that I was unable to see clearly because I was behind an SUV. Not sure how it did that, but it really gave me extra time to brake.

There is a lot to learn with the layout, but I settled on classic enhanced for now. It reminds me most of Gen 1 and provides the information I usually need. I may change that up later.

Most other things I'll reserve for a later update, because I felt bittersweet trading in my Gen 1. I don't regret it, but it was my first EV experience and it felt (to me) more special. I now own the "Grown Up" Volt.

Regarding appearance mods, I'm still debating on the "sport wheels" (painted gloss black pockets) and possibly blacked out bow tie(s).

Here's the Gen 1 I traded in.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet Chevrolet volt

·
Registered
158 Posts
Congrats! There was a recent thread about perceived differences in steering feel from gen 1 to gen 2. Did you notice any difference in the feel of the steering, if so what? What about cabin comfort and ride quality (that one might take a week or more to notice).

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I actually started that thread. No doubt--Gen II is less "sporty" (not that Gen I was a "hot hatch" or anything either). The steering is a little vague and the suspension is not as tight as Gen I, which makes a difference. There is just less "weight" on the steering. The plus side is that the ride is more comfortable, and it handles bumps and road imperfections better. It is also considerably more powerful and quieter.

Also, for whatever reason, the steering wheel on the vehicle I tested with the light gray interior felt less "tightly wrapped" than the steering wheel on the darker interiors. If the steering wheel itself feels a little loose or "spongy" you might want to just try a different car.

I should mention that I had a '17 cruze hatchback on vacation and I was very underwhelmed with its vague steering (although otherwise really liked the car). Fortunately, the Volt Gen II does not have the same steering feel-- it is definitely better than the Cruze.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We purchased our new 2016 Volt Premier Jul 2016. We traded in my wife's car, 2014 Volt. The 2016 had 20% off plus the dealer had another $3,000 off for a total of $11,000 off MSRP. The final price came in at around $29,000
Awesome deal, btw. I was gunning for a 20% off deal this time but no one bit. GM is offering this on other vehicles right now and maybe they'll move it to the Volt at some point. The best firm offer I got was 28K for an LT.

I think with patience you could get a better deal--not that my deal was terrible, just average. However, it all comes down to timing and flexibility on choices. I don't doubt I could have gotten a better deal on a black or white car (with black interior) as there were a bunch of early build '17s still sitting around me on dealer lots.

Instead, I really wanted the Brandy interior and NOT a black or white car. With such limited supply, and an unwillingness to drive over 200 miles, I was down to 2-3 cars. The combo with Red was just fantastic--and I had to pay a little more for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Awesome deal, btw. I was gunning for a 20% off deal this time but no one bit. GM is offering this on other vehicles right now and maybe they'll move it to the Volt at some point. The best firm offer I got was 28K for an LT.

I think with patience you could get a better deal--not that my deal was terrible, just average. However, it all comes down to timing and flexibility on choices. I don't doubt I could have gotten a better deal on a black or white car (with black interior) as there were a bunch of early build '17s still sitting around me on dealer lots.
Still looks like you got a pretty decent deal and even better with your private offer. From 40,550 to 34,000 is a solid 16%, and alfon got a great one! I've just now started comparing. Two salespersons from different dealerships here in Utah told me there is very little wiggle room on price (yeah right). One mentioned he's never seen a discount more than $2k on any Volt on the lot. Hopefully i can get something close to your deals or it's a no-go for me. I have a month or two, max before needing to pick up a car.

Any advice is welcome! -I'm planning to start off negotiations ~20% below MSRP.. I hope October incentives include the Volt with more than the zero % financing options.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Any advice is welcome! -I'm planning to start off negotiations ~20% below MSRP.. I hope October incentives include the Volt with more than the zero % financing options.
Best advice: give them an aggressive number that's not unreasonable. If they meet it you hand over a check. At the same time, be ready to come up at least a little to show good faith. If they don't budge, say thank you and walk away. If they really want to sell you a car they will call you back.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts