GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my names Jay. I've been into cars since before I could drive them and for the most part they've been performance cars. I spent most of my 20's working on new at the time mustangs to increase performance. Everything from supercharging to twin turbo installs. In 2013 I was looking to replace my 2007 Mazdaspeed3 with something and stopped into the Ford dealership. I had 2 kids already so I was looking for something about the same size if not larger than the Mazda. The focus being on a similar platform was too small, and then I realized I spend 95% of my commute in rush hour traffic, and I already had solar panels, so why not check out the PHEV they had. Furthermore, just days before CT jacked up the gas tax by 25% so I decided I would give them as little of my money as possible. Prior to that I was spending 450 a month in gas. They didn't have one for Lincoln but the Cmax felt right and it had 5 seats. I also looked at the Tesla's but back then I was concerned about range. The original Volt was disqualified by only having 4 seats, I just couldn't manage it. A year in my wife got pregnant with our third child, further justifying the choice.

That Cmax was an eye opener, but for all the things I liked about it, I soon realized everything about it was a compromise. I'd never be able to drive 640 miles straight through, so the range the thing had was complete overkill and soon enough I realized I was stopping on extended trips about where the superchargers were anyway. I'd easily make it over 3500 miles on a single tank of gas but always missed the performance of my previous cars and wished that car had more all electric range because it suffered when the engine was running.

When it became clear that a year of 3300 dollar a month daycare was going to make getting a Model S difficult (I was approved for 127K with them.. pricey.) I decided to take a look at the new volt. The cabin space is definitely way tighter than the CMAX, but the driver position and ergonomics are spot on, and the roofline does a great job of keeping the summer sun out of my eyes. I was able to fit 3 Diono car seats across the back deck legally with the 5th seat belt as well. For my commuting needs it fit.. So I ordered a fully loaded one in April thinking it'd be in by the time my lease was up. I ticked the box for the adaptive cruise control and when they said late availability, they weren't kidding. They're just hitting the lots now. Dealer found another one in MA with all the options I wanted short of the lit up cup holders and had it brought down. CT has about 10500 in incentives, making it effectively a 30K car. I was the one of the regular leaders in the online metrics for the CMax so I new how to get the most out of these already. I was aiming at 88 miles all electric with out even trying on my first commute. I based this on how many miles I was getting per kwh and dividing that by 18.4. I still had enough left over to run errands and pick up my kids from camp as well. This really is the perfect balance. Also, I feel like the driver aids were part of a DUI support kit. It's just enough to keep you from smashing into things, but it's not something you want to remove your hands from the wheel or away from the brakes for. The Tesla I test drove did a far better job at it. Granted at three times the price, but still.

Lastly, I've gotten compliments on the car the last two days by total strangers. One on the Jet black/brandy interior and one on the exterior. NO ONE complimented the CMax, it just wasn't exceptional in any way shape or form. I used to get them all the time on my sports cars, but it feels weird hearing them again on a friggin PHEV. Nice ride.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
When it became clear that a year of 3300 dollar a month daycare was going to make getting a Model S difficult (I was approved for 127K with them.. pricey.) I decided to take a look at the new volt. The cabin space is definitely way tighter than the CMAX, but the driver position and ergonomics are spot on, and the roofline does a great job of keeping the summer sun out of my eyes. I was able to fit 3 Diono car seats across the back deck legally with the 5th seat belt as well. For my commuting needs it fit.. So I ordered a fully loaded one in April thinking it'd be in by the time my lease was up. I ticked the box for the adaptive cruise control and when they said late availability, they weren't kidding. They're just hitting the lots now. Dealer found another one in MA with all the options I wanted short of the lit up cup holders and had it brought down. CT has about 10500 in incentives, making it effectively a 30K car. I was the one of the regular leaders in the online metrics for the CMax so I new how to get the most out of these already. I was aiming at 88 miles all electric with out even trying on my first commute. I based this on how many miles I was getting per kwh and dividing that by 18.4. I still had enough left over to run errands and pick up my kids from camp as well. This really is the perfect balance. Also, I feel like the driver aids were part of a DUI support kit. It's just enough to keep you from smashing into things, but it's not something you want to remove your hands from the wheel or away from the brakes for. The Tesla I test drove did a far better job at it. Granted at three times the price, but still.
If I understand you correctly, please be careful in your calculations of the anticipated EV range of the Volt. The Gen 2 may have a 18.4 kWh battery but it is not all accessible. Plan on somewhere in the neighborhood of 14.2 kWh in computing your range. When fully depleted, my 2016 Volt battery had about that amount.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll make note when I actually deplete it and take your word for it in the meantime. Last car had a similar break down with 5.5 being available for use out of 7.6 if memory serves.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new car. Will be interesting to see what you think about the Volt as time goes on. It's probably has a bit more zip than the CMAX. From 0-30 MPH it's close to a base Model S. Not as nice a ride of course but then again it's not exactly at the same price point!

Will also be interesting to see what range you can squeeze out. I'd think 88 miles won't be that easy to get but there is one member here who could likely do it. Way beyond my skill level.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, recalculated it. I had gone 50 miles with 10.4 kwh, so by linkim's 14.2 that'd be about 68 miles. Again, I was just driving it. It'd take some real careful and beyond annoying (for the other drivers) driving to get that (4.8 miles per kwh) out of the last car I had. Will tinker with it. Part of the appeal here is just being able to drive it with out worrying about the gas kicking on. My panels have long since paid for themselves so it doesn't cost anything (fuel wise) to be heavy on the throttle. I feel like one of those dudes that went through a bad divorce and just talks about the ex's problems the entire time. Apologies.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
... Dealer found another one in MA with all the options I wanted short of the lit up cup holders and had it brought down...
You can add the Ambient Lighting kit after the fact.

.... I was the one of the regular leaders in the online metrics for the CMax so I new how to get the most out of these already...
Do you know about http://www.voltstats.net? Is there an equivalent on-line site for Energi drivers?

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Welcome aboard, and as others have said and I want to reiterate it again, GM protects the battery by blocking off about 30% of that 18.4kW capacity as a buffer. You will probably only get to use about 14kW. Based on my Gen I and my driving style I could easily get 4+ miles per kW on average from my available 10.4 kW.

Recent trip to the airport, even used HVAC

I have managed 5+ miles per kW but that was under UBER ideal conditions and part of a range run.

So I wouldn't expect more than 70 miles under ideal conditions, but 60 should be a no brainer.

Good luck and will be interested I seeing your real world range. And yes please sign up for VoltStats so we can gather more real world data on how our Volts perform in the hands of owners.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the link guys. I'll sign up on it. Ford hosts the leaderboards directly with their mobile app and website and lets drivers compete based upon regions which makes sense. North East generally has similar terrain for instance compared to the south atlantic region or midwest.

I'll probably do well until I see I'm in the top percentile and have the car's capabilities figured out then fall back into a new normal. I can already tell that I'm going to need work on the regen paddle as I'm not as smooth as it needs to be for maximum efficiency.

http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/8127

1 - 8 of 8 Posts