GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been toying with well actually lusting after a Tesla and have been trying to fit a CPO Tesla into my retirement budget, no matter what I did it always came back to how much would I need to tap our savings to do that. I came to the conclusion that was financially irresponsible. So my plan was to pay off my 2013 Volt with some bonus money I received and be happy. But today after detailing our 13 I dropped by my favorite Chevy dealer, and literally 10 minutes from the time I walked into the showroom I accepted their offer on my trade (it was $3500 MORE than Tesla/ CARMAX). Dealer had a $3500 discount on the loaded 17 (which I felt was fair) and I had GM military discount authorization for another $819. Subtract the $7500 federal tax credit and $13K in equity in my 13 Volt and I was out the door for $15K.

Photos tomorrow, but a few quick observations, the added range and performance are real and transform the experience. The paddle regen will pull the car down to 1 mile per hour and is like twice what driving in low does. I do miss the rear lower window, electric push button charge port door opener and Homelink.

First charge with 32 miles on the odometer indicated 53 miles, but I can see me easily inching that into the sixties.

I'll post up some photos tomorrow, oh it's a Permier in Siren Red with the Brandy interior with both Convinience Packs and ACC with auto braking.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm lusting after a 90D model S myself, but for now, my '17 Volt has changed my life. I'm thinkng about selling off two Corvettes to fund these electrics.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Congratulations. I love the improvements over my Gen1 as well. I do miss the some things that are missing, like being able to charge the car instantly from my remote. Ohh well, I guess we can't have it all :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Congrats, BAZINGA! Siren red is a very nice color indeed, and with the brandy interior, very classy yet sporty.

timoshev, I prefer "the sensible man's Tesla". Can't justify a $2k/month payment on a car. When my car payment out paces my mortgage payment, clearly I've made a mistake.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Congrats, BAZINGA! Siren red is a very nice color indeed, and with the brandy interior, very classy yet sporty.

timoshev, I prefer "the sensible man's Tesla". Can't justify a $2k/month payment on a car. When my car payment out paces my mortgage payment, clearly I've made a mistake.
You chose the wrong profession?

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I accepted their offer on my trade (it was $3500 MORE than Tesla/ CARMAX). Dealer had a $3500 discount on the loaded 17 (which I felt was fair) and I had GM military discount authorization for another $819. Subtract the $7500 federal tax credit and $13K in equity in my 13 Volt and I was out the door for $15K.
By this type of math I paid about $9K out of pocket for my '14 (truth be told I paid $36.5K up front - cash). Still, you did very well. Congratulations!

Too bad we don't have the state rebate anymore.... woulda helped. :rolleyes:

Henceforth let it be known that the Chevy Volt is "the poor man's Tesla". Lol
Tesla: The soon to be poor man's Volt?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I have been toying with well actually lusting after a Tesla and have been trying to fit a CPO Tesla into my retirement budget, no matter what I did it always came back to how much would I need to tap our savings to do that. I came to the conclusion that was financially irresponsible.
This is the part I really liked.

Wow, a truly honest statement of self-assessment. Too bad most families/individuals don't make these types of decisions anymore. Kudos to you!

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By this type of math I paid about $9K out of pocket for my '14 (truth be told I paid $36.5K up front - cash). Still, you did very well. Congratulations!

Too bad we don't have the state rebate anymore.... woulda helped. :rolleyes:

Tesla: The soon to be poor man's Volt?
yea, I used the Fed $7500 and Illinois $3914.50 rebate as part of my down payment on my 13 Volt so that's where most of my equity came from.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
We traded our 2014 Volt for a new 2016 Volt LTZ, which we got for a little over $11,000 off MSRP. The 2016 and I'm sure the 2017 Volt are a big improvement over the Gen 1. Electric range went when we first got it from 52-53 miles to now 62-65 miles with a full charge. Gas only mpg is mid to high 40's, big improvement over the Gen 1 , and the Gen 2 uses good old 87 octane no fancy fuel required. If the trip is less than 250 miles it is about the same or even less to use our Volt instead of our 2010 Prius and that includes the price of electricity and gas for the volt. Great car and more technology per dollar than any car out there....

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
yea, I used the Fed $7500 and Illinois $3914.50 rebate as part of my down payment on my 13 Volt so that's where most of my equity came from.
For me it totaled closer to $11K, but it was a great start. The state money came sooner than the federal tax "dodge".

This is the part I really liked.

Wow, a truly honest statement of self-assessment. Too bad most families/individuals don't make these types of decisions anymore. Kudos to you!
+1.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts