GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(UPDATED 9-27-16- Battery Not Faulty)Traction Battery Replaced - 2013 Volt

I have a 2013 Volt with 80k miles on the odometer, I'm guessing that approximately 50% of those miles were run on the battery. I started having some wonky issues lately where the car would lose some miles on the range estimator after being parked for several hours, and my kWh used would vary from 9.8-10.8.....mostly in the 9.8-10.0 range. After some research here I figured my issues might be related to the HPCM2 update that had some bugs. I went to a dealership today and presented my thoughts with the PIC 6138A reprogram suggestion. After about 2 hours in the shop, the tech finally came out and said that 1 section of my traction battery was failing and needed to be replaced. If I understood the service writer correctly, there are 3 sections of the traction battery and only 1 of mine needs to be replaced. I was very surprised to hear this as I can't remember reading about a Volt traction battery failure before. In any event, they have me scheduled for the replacement job next week, not sure how long it will take, but they are providing a loaner vehicle while the Volt is under the knife. I will check back here and give a report as things progress.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I assume this is being taken care of by the Voltec warranty?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume this is being taken care of by the Voltec warranty?
I assume so. It didn't occur to me to ask, but they never indicated otherwise and said they were providing me with a loaner car. I will verify tomorrow, but just figured it was covered to 100k and they would have certainly given me a repair quote otherwise.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Glad to hear the failure had some warning signs and didn't just leave you stranded somewhere.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Sorry to hear this. We haven't seen battery failures. I wonder if the failure is in the power electronics? Anyway, keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Interesting that only one of the three sections is being replaced. I wonder why GM would not want to see and be able to evaluate the entire battery. Also wonder what impact, if any, there will be on cell balancing, on available KW-HRS and on other battery parameters.

KNS

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
Any error codes from OnStar or that the tech found?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to dig deeper, will also check in with my Volt advisor as I have some of the same concerns mentioned here.

·
4,851 Posts
I am going to dig deeper, will also check in with my Volt advisor as I have some of the same concerns mentioned here.
Devil is in the details. My wife's Volt had a section replaced, due to a single temperature sensor failures. The battery itself was fine, but they had to replace the whole section.

Looking forward to hearing more as you learn more! :)

Interesting that only one of the three sections is being replaced. I wonder why GM would not want to see and be able to evaluate the entire battery. Also wonder what impact, if any, there will be on cell balancing, on available KW-HRS and on other battery parameters.

KNS
They have equipment and a procedure to properly balance the cells when this is done. At this point they understand the battery well enough that they're comfortable doing replacements of a single section.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I have a 2013 Volt with 80k miles on the odometer, I'm guessing that approximately 50% of those miles were run on the battery. I started having some wonky issues lately where the car would lose some miles on the range estimator after being parked for several hours, and my kWh used would vary from 9.8-10.8.....mostly in the 9.8-10.0 range. After some research here I figured my issues might be related to the HPCM2 update that had some bugs. I went to a dealership today and presented my thoughts with the PIC 6138A reprogram suggestion. After about 2 hours in the shop, the tech finally came out and said that 1 section of my traction battery was failing and needed to be replaced. If I understood the service writer correctly, there are 3 sections of the traction battery and only 1 of mine needs to be replaced. I was very surprised to hear this as I can't remember reading about a Volt traction battery failure before. In any event, they have me scheduled for the replacement job next week, not sure how long it will take, but they are providing a loaner vehicle while the Volt is under the knife. I will check back here and give a report as things progress.
"Wonky" isn't a reason to replace a battery.
"kWh used" display is next to meaningless (and varying 9-10 fairly typical for a 2013)
Losing miles while parked? -there's a known software issue related to that. HPCM1 and HPCM2 as well as ECM need to be updated.
There would have to be DTCs or something tangible to justify replacement.
What was your actual complaint? Check Engine Light even?
WOT

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
That is nearly like open heart surgery for a human.

We will all pray for your Volt to survive and thrive. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Wonky" isn't a reason to replace a battery.
"kWh used" display is next to meaningless (and varying 9-10 fairly typical for a 2013)
Losing miles while parked? -there's a known software issue related to that. HPCM1 and HPCM2 as well as ECM need to be updated.
There would have to be DTCs or something tangible to justify replacement.
What was your actual complaint? Check Engine Light even?
WOT
I hear you, but the less than specific term "wonky" was from my mouth not the dealership. They are the ones with the "expertise" that came to this conclusion. I know this car well, there is something wrong with it, I will do my best to make sure it is what they say it is. Oh, and they supposedly did go through the known software issues as I provided that to them, he said that was not my problem. I was so surprised when they told me about the battery issue that I wasn't even sure what to ask, glad to have some responses here for me to chew on. I am going back today to get some clearer answers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I stopped by the dealership this morning, unfortunately neither the Volt tech nor the service writer were in today. I was able to get another service guy to look up the paperwork relative to the visit yesterday, I was surprised that there was no mention of any battery issue or codes/tests found that supported this claim.....weird if you ask me. The service guy just said that there is no way they would replace a traction battery without knowing for sure it was faulty as Chevy is most likely going to request the bad battery for inspection and they would deny warranty payment if it was an incorrect diagnosis. They did show it as a warranty claim, just no details about said claim. I still have my doubts that this will turn out to be a failed battery, but we will see.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yep the 2013 had that problem after one of the recalls. If you did not go back and have it corrected you will need to have them reprogram. I had two 2013s and both had the problem as did others on the forum with the 2013 model year. Refer to the PIC in my signature. Also adding it here in case you cannot see the sig.

2013 Losing Miles? Perform a forum search for the following: PIC6138

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep the 2013 had that problem after one of the recalls. If you did not go back and have it corrected you will need to have them reprogram. I had two 2013s and both had the problem as did others on the forum with the 2013 model year. Refer to the PIC in my signature. Also adding it here in case you cannot see the sig.

2013 Losing Miles? Perform a forum search for the following: PIC6138
I appreciate the info, this is exactly why I brought my Volt in to the dealership in the first place, so they were aware of the reprograms. The paperwork I looked at today did show they ran the updates. My understanding is he found the battery issue/failure after running the reprogram, but I will find out more after talking to him on Monday.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took the car in to the dealership today, I was unable to speak to the tech, but left the car for further inspection. The service advisor said their Volt tech is extremely competent and she was very confident based on their discussion that the battery has Issues. She said he will have to call the Voltec claims/service team tomorrow and go through their detailed protocol before a final determination is made. She tried to explain how the tech determined the battery was "bad", but I was not following it so won't try to explain it here. I might have an answer tomorrow and will update here when I know something.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts