GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently started to track my kWh’s used to charge my 2016 Volt. I have an iPhone, so I use "OBD-Fusion" which is similar to Torque for Android. Here are a few screenshots.

Wh Last Charge refreshes only after removing the charging cable. I usually take a screen shot in the morning before I head off to work. I’ve received bogus readings on 2 occasions. I then have to look at my utility web site to get the right info. SCE takes about 2 days before they update the Usage Readings.

Total fuel economy is rolling, so it’s constantly going up on EV and down on ICE use. I can go for days with no ICE use, should get better when the weather warms up ;-)

This is what I track when the engine/generator is running. I only keep these 2 Dashboards to keep things simple. 1 for EV, 1 for ICE. Engine Temp is available on the DIC screen, but that little red marker helps me see when I’ve reached max temp and can switch back to EV (Normal) mode. I don’t like cycling a cold engine.

These are the User Defined PIDS I had to create.

I then input the WhLC info to a “Numbers Spreadsheet”. I reconfigured a template that was available for tracking and logging running data. If you have MacOS and Numbers, you should have the template under “New Document-Personal-Running Log”. Cost is simply (kWh/1000) * .12 . My Super Off Peak 10PM-8am rate is .12 kWh.

All still a work in progress.
What sparked this project, is that I’m one of the people that the “MyChevrolet” web site doesn’t show any historical data. I’ll probably just track this information for awhile to give me a good understanding of “How Much” is my 2016 Volt saving me in fuel, $$, etc.

Also keeping track of the HV Batt Temps and Voltage can be useful this summer when temps reach the 100’s where I live.

2016 Chevy Volt Premier
Carbon-Offset on Voltstats

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Little over $45 for a month of driving, I’ll take that :)

Regular Gas at a Shell station I’m parked across from is $3.35 a gallon. That would only buy a little more than 13 gals or 440 miles approx on my last car. Volt FTW!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ouch. Both gas and electricity are expensive there. I thought that the gas prices were bad here in Washington, at $2.79 a gallon. but that's sure better than $3.35. We don't have peak/non-peak electricity pricing here, it is .0763 per kwh all day and night.

I've been keeping a similar spreadsheet, although mine is hand written. I've got a watt hour meter on the circuit powering my evse, so I grab each day's power use from the meter, and my EV mileage from Volt Stats and that let's me keep a running total, as well as figure out each day's electric cost. I've been doing this for the past 5 days, and in that time I have used 33 kwh to drive 98.18 miles, which works out to $2.52 or 2.5¢ a mile

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been doing this for the past 5 days, and in that time I have used 33 kwh to drive 98.18 miles, which works out to $2.52 or 2.5¢ a mile
I’m not too far behind. Rounding up to about $1.80 per 64 mile day, that comes to 2.8 cents and about 28kWh used. That’s hypermiling of course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts