GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a tire replaced from discount tire since it was an unrepairable flat tire. They didn't have the same tire brand than my other three. I have 3 Continental tires and the new one replaced is a Yokohama.

When they replaced the tire my tpms on my volt showed dashes with a low tire warning light.
They said they have to replace a bad sensor in that tire.
When they replaced the sensor my dash showed incorrect numbers in the front (first screenshot), then after about 20 minutes of driving it showed the dashes again.
I took it back a second time and they just replaced all TPMS sensors free of charge to match all 4 since they thought maybe the new sensor didn't match the others.
Same thing happen afterwards, incorrect reading on front tires then after 20 min all dashes.
Took back the car a third time and they couldn't figure it out.

I did ask about maybe the new tire as the problem since they didn't match the other tire brands of the other 3 and they said it shouldn't matter.

I just wanted to see if maybe the new tire is in fact the issue and any advice someone may have from experience.
I thought I would post here before having to spend money taking it in to a shop. Thanks.

Tire replaced was driver side (rear). All were around the same 37-38 psi, front 2 showing inaccurate at zero and 28psi. After 20 minutes all 4 went back to dashes as you can see in the second screenshot.
Vehicle Plant Speedometer Gauge Car

Speedometer Plant Gauge Vehicle Trip computer

·
Registered
2017 Volt LT
52 Posts
I don't know sounds to me like they do not know how to program or got the wrong sensor from the get go? I don't think the tire being different would effect it unless it is considerable different in size via the tread or even (I hope this is not it) a different size all together.

Maybe see if there is another discount tire in the area and ask them to program the TPMS.

Disclaimer: This is the first car I have owned that I am working with the TPMS the others I have owned I literally had them removed and removed the warning light. So my knowledge is limited. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

·
Administrator
22,808 Posts
You'll want sensors that operate at 315 Mhz for 2011-2016. 2017 and later Volt's and Bolt's use 433 MHz. And they need to use the relearn process so the car knows where the sensors are. They may have missed one or both of those requirements.

Also see TPMS, "No Remote" connection Issues

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
When I changed 2 tires at NTB - I had then keep my old TPMS as my relearn tool showed the batteries in the TPMS to still be in good the good range - one would hope their tool does the same and can tell the frequency

PS
mine also check the KEY FOB frequency and power level
ATEQ TPMS from Amazon

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for everyone's input.

I have a 2017 Volt. I did ask the gentleman when I picked up my car which sensors they used. He did not know. It was not logged in anywhere on their system. They only carry two and told me it has to be one of the two sensors. He gave me the serial numbers of both and said the manufacture was BH Sens.
The first serial number (Rde034v41) I looked up and it is 433 MHz. The second one (Uvs750) I cannot locate. It may be an invalid serial number.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts