GM Volt Forum banner

Tpms sensor frequency - same as gen 2 volt?

7K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  pcons 
#1 ·
My wife drives 5x less than I do, and she is currently on maternity leave, so I was thinking of buying a new set of winter tires for my volt and swapping my current ones (2 seasons on them) over to her bolt. She definitely won't go through a full set of winter tires by the time we sell the bolt, even if we keep it for 10 years (she has 5000 km after 8 months on the bolt).

The rims and tires sizes are the same, (16 inch, 105mm bolt spacing, 205/55/16 tires). But I'm getting two different tpms frequencies. My volt uses 433mhz, and on tire rack it says the bolt uses 315 MHz, but I see a bunch of eBay listings for the bolt tpms saying 433mhz.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/4-ITM-TPMS-S...33MHz-fit-Chevrolet-Bolt-EV-2017/282283584787

It would be best of the 433mhz sensors above worked with the bolt because then I could just swap the tires plus rims plus tpms already on my volt to the bolt. Otherwise I would have to get the sensors swapped as well which would cost a few bucks more and be logistically more difficult as I would need to bring both sets to a tire shop at the same time to do the swap. The other way I would only swap my volt tires to the bolt, then get the other tires mounted on rims with the new tpms and put on my volt.

Sorry if this isn't clear....

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I wondered the same thing. I expect all 2017 Volts and Bolts use the same frequency, just like they share the same wheel lug bolt pattern, center bore specs.

Worst case, the frequency does not match and you run with the TPMS warning light on and no pressure readings for a few months. Not the worst thing to happen.

Update. My 2011 Volt TPMS tool works on my 2017 Bolt EV. So even though the Volt uses 433 MHz, the Bolt uses 315 MHz, my tool is capable of doing both frequencies. :)

#3 ·
I wondered the same thing. I expect all 2017 Volts and Bolts use the same frequency, just like they share the same wheel lug bolt pattern, center bore specs.

Worst case, the frequency does not match and you run with the TPMS warning light on and no pressure readings for a few months. Not the worst thing to happen.
Other bad thing with this scenario would be me paying for a set of TPMS sensors I can't use :)

I think I'll run a test today or tomorrow. I have a relearn tool, and the winters are already on my volt. If I can park close enough I'll try and pair the tires on my volt to the bolt without taking them off. If that works, then I guess I'll just buy another set of gen 2 volt tpms sensors.

I'll post the result when I run the test....

#4 ·
Update: I think the frequencies are different. I put my volt front passenger tire about 2 feet from the bolt front driver and could not get the sensor to pair with my relearn tool. I was able to re learn all the tires on the bolt with the tool. So I guess tire rack had the right frequency. It looks like the bolt is 315 MHz and volt is 433 MHz....

:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.