GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After shoveling my 300 ft driveway I took the Volt out for a short drive. A few minutes in I saw an alert that my front right tire was low, PSI down to 27. All the other tires were in the 42-43 range. Normally PSI is higher, but temperatures were in the low single digits.

By the time I found a safe place to stop 2 minutes later, PSI was down to 26. I could hear air leaking out of the tire. I pulled out the tire inflator and filled it up to 46 PSI. Drove to a nearby tire center and they were able to patch the tire. They told me it was the first time they saw a puncture caused by a stone!

I have 43,000 miles on the tires and this was my first near flat. The combination of the TPMS and tire inflator really worked great.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
They told me it was the first time they saw a puncture caused by a stone!

I have 43,000 miles on the tires and this was my first near flat. The combination of the TPMS and tire inflator really worked great.
That's why some form of tire pressure monitoring is now required in the US!

As far as the stone puncture. Probably the combo of your tires being relatively near and of life, and the cold temps, they are probably a bit more fragile than normal.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Could over inflating your times contributed to the problem? I over inflate to 40 PSI just because I'm worried about hurting them for some reason even though I don't know if it does or not.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Could over inflating your times contributed to the problem?
"Cause" no......contribute, yes.
In this case, thinner tread and cold weather were probably contributors too.
Over inflated tires is also hard on the suspension.

Having a stone cause a puncture would make me think it's about time for some new tires.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Cause" no......contribute, yes.
In this case, thinner tread and cold weather were probably contributors too.
Over inflated tires is also hard on the suspension.

Having a stone cause a puncture would make me think it's about time for some new tires.
At the time, my PSI was around 42, so not that high. I believe the thinner tread was likely the main cause of the puncture. If I get another flat, then I will replace the tires. I was able to pass safety inspection last month so my tread is not too low yet, but close.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
They told me it was the first time they saw a puncture caused by a stone!
Stones do puncture tires. If the size is roughly "fits in your palm" with sharp edges and you give it 50000 tries, it will find the place to puncture the tire. Used to work in place where there was lots of stones and a tire was punctured by stone 1-2 times per week on a 50 unit fleet. It's a 15 minutes and 50 cent repair with proper equipment.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Couple days ago, I had a thought "I should probably check my tires today after this short drive". Minute later, pressed the TPMS button and saw 3x40psi and 1x29psi. So, I have a slow leak getting looked at tomorrow. Oil change too. Might as well @ 31,600 miles. This is the 2nd oil change for me. I think the tires are holding up pretty well but the slow leak started after driving around in some of the recent snow and might also be rock-based or maybe a road cinder within the sidewall/wheel contact area.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
" I was able to pass safety inspection last month so my tread is not too low yet, but close."
There's a great video on Tire Rack discussing the effect of tread depth on stopping distance on wet roads. I never would have guessed it could make such a difference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA6MUlVNkLM
The way I generally drive, that's not much of an issue. I rarely drive at highway speeds, especially this time of year.

·
Registered
61 Posts
TPMS works great with nail punctures too. I had a big nail in one of the tire and didn't notice it until the next morning when TPMS alert came on with low tire pressure.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I am also a fan of the Volt's implementation of TPMS where the pressure of each tire can be shown. Many cars just have an idiot light. My wife's Rav4 has a full size spare so when the TPMS idiot light comes on I have 5 tires to check. Now if we could just get temperature gauges for the 3 coolant loops....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts