GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow Volt owners,

A few questions, I have switched over to winter tires yesterday at a local shop, new michelin xice 3 with TPMS sensors (wow those tires are dead silent!!). When they gave me back the car, they told me that reprogramming the TPMS appeared to be unnecessary as when they powered the car on, the car was not giving any errors. It felt a bit strange but since I don't know what is involved with TPMS when you change tires, I was not in a position to say anything.
So I drove back, stored the old tires and behold, TPMS error. Turns out that the sensors were still picking the signals from the summer tires which were in the back... I am not all that surprised that this happened as the guys there didn't seem very tech savvy. Yet, this was just a simple tire change so figured that they would have at least been able to do it, guess not.

-Is it possible to do the TPMS relearn process ourselves? Or does it require a 1000$ proprietary tool? (so far, I read that a tool is required. Any suggestions?)

One last question is about my stock L1 EVSE. I have found that it is getting harder to plug and unplug the car (almost pulling it with 2 hands now). The only pattern that I can see is that it appears to fit with the lower outside temperatures we are getting (holding near 0c (32f)). There doesn't appear to be anything wrong visually, no blockage. It is my first winter with my 2014 volt.

-Is this normal winter operation??

Thanks in advance!!

Edit: New wheels as well as the tires.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,596 Posts
-Is it possible to do the TPMS relearn process ourselves? Or does it require a 1000$ proprietary tool? (so far, I read that a tool is required. Any suggestions?)

One last question is about my stock L1 EVSE. I have found that it is getting harder to plug and unplug the car (almost pulling it with 2 hands now).
You do need a tool to do it yourself, but it's $75, not $1000. http://www.amazon.com/Kent-Moore-EL...=UTF8&qid=1415506545&sr=8-1&keywords=EL-50448

I don't know anything about low temps:D, but I don't remember having seen that complaint before by the northern members. Have you tried cleaning both the plug and the receptacle (maybe with Q-tips)?

·
8,680 Posts
As bentbiker said, you need a relearn tool. I got mine from Tirerack, along with my snow tires. If you're planning on swapping the snow tires on and off yourself it might be a reasonable investment - otherwise just go ask the shop to do it right this time. :)

Your EVSE problem doesn't sound normal to me. I've never had trouble plugging the car in, at home or at public chargers - they all slide in smoothly when aligned correctly even in cold weather in my experience (though my charging is generally in an unheated but usually not frozen garage.) Maybe you should take it to your dealer to look at.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Relearning tool

Hi, first apply a silicone spray on the female part of your plug before and after the winter and no more problem. Second last year i had the same tpms problem it look like the car take one or two days before noticing the change of tire. I bought at tire rack a relearning tool and it was easy to do, and not that expensive, around75$. You can find all this advise if you search the forum a little. Good luck.:)

·
Registered
679 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot for the replies!! I have ordered the TPMS tool, at less than 100$ that's easier. I have a friend who works in the tuning business and everything electronics related seems to always cost a fortune but at less than 100$, that's fine! I know I could get this fixed by the shop but if I can do this myself, I'm gonna save me some trouble, plus I would love to be able to do more by myself when it comes to taking care of the preciousss :p .

I'll try the silicone spray for the EVSE issue. At least I know that its not really normal so worst case scenario will be the dealer.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,596 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello fellow Volt owners,

One last question is about my stock L1 EVSE. I have found that it is getting harder to plug and unplug the car (almost pulling it with 2 hands now). The only pattern that I can see is that it appears to fit with the lower outside temperatures we are getting (holding near 0c (32f)). There doesn't appear to be anything wrong visually, no blockage. It is my first winter with my 2014 volt.

-Is this normal winter operation??

Thanks in advance!!
My 2013 was doing the same, getting harder and harder to pull the charger plug. I used a Q tip and smeared Permatex Dielectric grease into the female connections. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
"Turns out that the sensors were still picking the signals from the summer tires which were in the back."

How can they? The sensors are on the hubs (with the valve), not the tires. I have a 2009 Equinox with TPMS and I have seen the sensor when one tire was removed for a repair. And for my Equinox, I have practiced the reprogramming procedure given in the Owner Manual and it works.

As for the charge plug, it is the cold that shrinks the metal contacts, making them harder to plug in. I recommend a contact cleaner and lubricant spray from Radio Shack, catalog number 6400148, for all electrical plugs and receptacles and reduce plugging resistance. It is a very light mineral oil that will not affect conductivity, because it was used for older mechanical TV tuners that handled microvolts and nanoamperes of antenna signals, so it can handle hundreds of volts and kiloamperes with no added resistance. I use it on my large appliance (50 A, 230 VAC) since it is the largest plug I handle in my home.

·
8,680 Posts
"Turns out that the sensors were still picking the signals from the summer tires which were in the back."

How can they? The sensors are on the hubs (with the valve), not the tires. I have a 2009 Equinox with TPMS and I have seen the sensor when one tire was removed for a repair. And for my Equinox, I have practiced the reprogramming procedure given in the Owner Manual and it works.
The sensors are in the wheel at the valve, not in the hub. If the OP bought new rims and was transporting the old rims in the back of the car with the OEM tires still attached and inflated, the system would behave as described.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The sensors are in the wheel at the valve, not in the hub. If the OP bought new rims and was transporting the old rims in the back of the car with the OEM tires still attached and inflated, the system would behave as described.
According to his report, he switched to winter tires. He never mentioned hubs.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,596 Posts
According to his report, he switched to winter tires. He never mentioned hubs.
You are saying "hubs", but I believe you mean "wheels." I, too, was confused at first about why he bought new sensors. Just as Saghost concluded, I figured it only made sense if he bought new wheels -- that is the only way that the old sensors would continue seeing correct pressure.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You can also reset the TPMS by just decreasing/increasing air pressure during the relearn process outlined in the owners manual, no tool required.

·
8,680 Posts
You can also reset the TPMS by just decreasing/increasing air pressure during the relearn process outlined in the owners manual, no tool required.
I'm pretty sure that only works on 2011s. Certainly I couldn't make it work on my 2012, and I've read that newer cars can't use that method.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
yes , you now need a coded radio command and not a magnetic trigge

ID numbers -radio command (Please do NOT tell GOOGLE )

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
About the silicon spray for the J1772 connector/plug. I went today to buy some and the person at the counter wasn't too sure if that was the right solution, he wasn't sure if it would actually add resistance to the contacts. Instead he suggested some dielectric grease, like this one: http://tinyurl.com/n4pzxh3 its not in a spray format but with some qtips, it could be applied without too much troubble.

What do you think??

Thanks again for the help!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
About the silicon spray for the J1772 connector/plug. I went today to buy some and the person at the counter wasn't too sure if that was the right solution, he wasn't sure if it would actually add resistance to the contacts. Instead he suggested some dielectric grease, like this one: http://tinyurl.com/n4pzxh3 its not in a spray format but with some qtips, it could be applied without too much troubble.

What do you think??

Thanks again for the help!!
I would use Permatex Dielectric Tuneup Grease and a Q tip. I really works well and protects the plug terminals from corrosion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts