GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I purchased recently a 2013 Volt and since two weeks now, the DIC shows low pressure warning for my tires.
They are at 41PSI so if anything they are over inflated according to the recommended 38PSI.
Even the OnStar app tells me that all four tires are not withing recommended range and it suggests 51PSI as recommended pressure!
I called OnStar and they couldn't figure it out either so they recommended a trip to the dealer.
I'm a DIY person and avoid the stealership like the plague.
Does this sound like there is a need to relearn the TPMS? I tried the method where you let some air come out of each tire but it seems that this method does not work for the 2013 model. I don't want to buy a $100+ tool unnecessary.
The tires shown on the DIC are in the correct order.
I wonder if this 51PSI is being fed to the DIC by OnStar?
If so, I'll just wait for the free trial of OnStar to expire and see what happens.

Other that this, I love the car. I'm commuting from Daytona to Orlando (110 miles total) using less than 1 gallon of gas! My thirsty Jeep Grand Cherokee needed 6 gallons for the same distance!

Any suggestion is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Eno

·
4,874 Posts
Is the warning a text warning or the service TPMS symbol in the instrument cluster?
Do you have a picture of the warning?
Are all your tires on your DIC showing the correct PSI?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Take your car to your dealer. Geta tire rotation, if needed. They will recalibrate the sensors as part of the job.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I suggest that you invest in an inexpensive tire pressure gauge with a dial. What you need is to be able to maintain all the tires at the same pressure. Once you have established that all tires are at the same pressure, refer to the car display to see if the TPMS is reporting comparable values. This will indicate that the TPMS is functioning correctly. Don't be surprised if the values don't match the tire gauge.
What is more important is that the pressures in the tires are the same, followed by their being at 38 psi. I keep my tires inflated to 43 psi as measured by my tire pressure gauge. I find that generally the TPMS is within a pound or two of the gauge. TPMS is good at announcing an imbalance in pressures while driving.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I suggest that you invest in an inexpensive tire pressure gauge with a dial. What you need is to be able to maintain all the tires at the same pressure. Once you have established that all tires are at the same pressure, refer to the car display to see if the TPMS is reporting comparable values. This will indicate that the TPMS is functioning correctly. Don't be surprised if the values don't match the tire gauge.
What is more important is that the pressures in the tires are the same, followed by their being at 38 psi. I keep my tires inflated to 43 psi as measured by my tire pressure gauge. I find that generally the TPMS is within a pound or two of the gauge. TPMS is good at announcing an imbalance in pressures while driving.
What's this got to do with the OP's problem? Which is that the tire pressure gauge with the dial that is ALREADY being used says "41 PSI" and the TPMS says "low tire pressure".

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Hello,
...I'm a DIY person and avoid the stealership like the plague.
Does this sound like there is a need to relearn the TPMS? I tried the method where you let some air come out of each tire but it seems that this method does not work for the 2013 model. I don't want to buy a $100+ tool unnecessary.
....Any suggestion is very much appreciated.
welcome ENo, the TPMS system in 2013 volts needs a learn tool, lowest cost I have seen is $85. the system reports low pressure only if the pressure drops below 35 or 36 PSI, OnStar has nothing to do with this. It sounds to me like one of your sensors is busted. what are the 4 pressures that are showing on your drivers' instrument cluster? did you clear the message? and have it come back?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys for your feedback, this is a great community!
I went after work to a Discount Tire store and they checked all 4 tires.
They were all at 42 PSI just as DIC shows. They even relearned all the TPMS sensors.
Then they inflated them to 51 PSI and sure enough the low pressure message went away.
I drove straight to the nearest dealer here in Daytona and they were just as confused. They proceeded letting air out of tires until 42 PSI was reached and since then the low pressure message is gone! I wonder if inflating the tires to 51 PSI triggered something...
Anyway, the OnStar app still tells me to inflate them to the "recommended" 51 PSI but I don't care as long as it doesn't show up on the dashboard.

I hope this helps someone else in the same situation later on. Thank you all!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I lied, the message came back this morning! Oh well, I'm not going to let it bother me.
I just got 238 MPG this morning by driving like an old lady cruising at 55MPH on highway. I was able to get 45 miles on battery!
This car is fantastic and it's making me a much calmer driver ;).

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I guess I lied, the message came back this morning! Oh well, I'm not going to let it bother me.
I just got 238 MPG this morning by driving like an old lady cruising at 55MPH on highway. I was able to get 45 miles on battery!
This car is fantastic and it's making me a much calmer driver ;).
What numbers are shown on the DIC Tire Pressure display in comparison to the reading you're getting at the tire stem? I'm wondering if you don't just have a bad sensor that's reading 10-15 PSI low.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All four tires show to have 42 PSI just as measured yesterday with a gauge.
The OnStar app still recommends 51 PSI. I wonder if the dealer that sold me the car two weeks ago (not a GM dealer but rather a generic dealer) somehow set the pressure to 51 PSI?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Both of our volts are doing something similar. All 8 tires are solid at 40psi but the Tpms is showing closer to 30psi.it seems to coincide with the cooler temp this fall

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Great. What does the Driver Information Center display show the pressure to be?

Hi hellsop, sorry for the delay in uploading pictures (I just figured it out how).

As you can see the DIC shows the correct pressure at 42 PSI but it thinks that it should be higher.
In the first picture, it shows the rear driver side tire needs to be inflated. Once I inflated it to 51 PSI, the message points to the next tire and so on.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
This has nothing to do with the TPMS relearn tool or anything that a tire shop could help with. It is also not something that the used car dealer could have set. The recommended PSI is supposed to be 38 and it should alert at something like 20% below that. The car oddly has a different set point somehow. This is going to need a good Volt technician and probably reloading some software module. Fortunately you can just ignore it until you get it fixed.

Some people have solved some various odd software problems by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a reboot. I would try that before spending money on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tip Barry, I'll definitely try that. By the way, how can I reset the message shown on my DIC?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thanks for the tip Barry, I'll definitely try that. By the way, how can I reset the message shown on my DIC?
Should go away on its own, once it's stopped thinking that 42, on only ONE tire out of four, is low. Getting it to stop thinking that may require a trip to visit a Volt tech though. Because that's weirder than snake suspenders.

On the good, though, it's not dangerous insofar as it's at least reading the right pressure, which means you can ignore the warning part and just watch the numbers occasionally, until you get the service done.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I just read a post on another thread that (if it is accurate) may shed some light on this problem. The post was by member jayoldschool, who, about a week ago, wrote this:

"While using the school shop Snap On scanner the other day to relearn a new set of [TPMS] sensors, I just discovered that you can adjust the pressure that the computer looks for. So, for winter [tires], set it to zero, and your [TPMS warning] light will not come on. Reset in the spring."

If that adjustment really is possible, that might explain why yours is looking for the incorrect pressure, and how it could be fixed. This might also help people who live at very high elevations and have problems with the sensor error due to that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts