GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

In addition to an ongoing and apparently unfixable "No Remote Detected" problem, as my 2012 turned three and ran out of warranty, it developed a TPMS problem. Starting in about September, during a long trip, the tire warning light came on, and one of the tire pressure readings went to --. There was nothing wrong with the tire. It did it again about 100 miles into the return trip. The week before the warranty ran out, I brought it to the dealer and they said they would fix the problem on the particular wheel. I also had them install the snow tires at the same time.

The following week I took another 250 mile trip. 120 miles into it, the tire warning went off again. Then, slowly, each of the others also pinged to --. Soon, every one of the readings was "--" as shown in the photo above. When I stopped the car and "rebooted", the problem went away. It keeps coming back, however, sometimes in as short as 20 miles. Just setting aside the issue of whether this should be fixed under warranty or not, the dealer is telling me that there is nothing they can do unless they can replicate the problem. And they ain't goin' drive it 100 miles.

This is the worst possible service response I could get. I can't be the only one with this problem in all of GM - I don't image that the Volt TPMS is any different than any other GM model. So help me help them. Who else has had this problem and had a dealership figure it out?

Thanks -- Matt

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Are you still on the original TPMS sensors in the tires? Or did you get new ones for the snow tires? I think their battery life is only 3-4 years, though it seems unlikely they'd all go at exactly the same time. An antenna or receiver issue seems much more likely (and could be related to your No Remote Detected issue... I think they do share some parts). I don't know the specifics of the system, though, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

·
Administrator
22,242 Posts
I would suspect the receiver (in the black box mounted on the windshield) as well, given the issue with the remote. Otherwise, the batteries in the TPMS. Mine are over 3 years old though and no issues (yet?).

Good question about the snow tires.

Did they get new TPMS stems or reused the originals? If new and they lose connection, that would be another clue pointing to the receiver as flaky, Perhaps a loose wire? Can't hurt to pop the cover and press/wiggle the connections. It would not be the first time I have taken something apart, found nothing wrong, put it back together and it worked again. Then there are those times I took something apart that WAS working... haha.

·
Administrator
22,242 Posts
Suspecting an RFI issue since the OP also has a dashcam installed. Stupid question but does the Tire pressure report correctly when the dashcam is unplugged!?:confused:

Screeches to a halt!! What? The OP has dashcam? We had some posts here some time back where there was a TPMS issue traced to a bad USB power device. They unplugged the thing and all the TPMS problems went away. The dealership tried to blame window tinting.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?125954-Anyone-having-TPMS-errors-in-their-2014-Volts-!-!

and http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...Void-due-to-Window-tint&p=1570273#post1570273

I just added a FAQ:
TPMS showing "--", or "No Remote" error

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.